• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Probably a silly question but need some diabetic advice

Evenstarr

I've only recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have my first appointment with the diabetic nurse on Friday, what I need to know is...do I have to take a wee in a bottle with me?
I've got a 45 min feet appointment before so I don't want a bottle of wee in my bag if I don't need it and on the other hand I don't want to get caught unawares and not be able to wee to order. :confused:
Thanks
Em xxxxx

Hi. No you wont need to do a wee :). They will do a little finger prickly and test a drop of blood. Or if they want a better reading they may take some blood to test so they can tell your blood sugar level over the past 6 months. You will be fine. I've been diabetic for 7 years so just pm me if you need anything xxx

I've only recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have my first appointment with the diabetic nurse on Friday, what I need to know is...do I have to take a wee in a bottle with me?
I've got a 45 min feet appointment before so I don't want a bottle of wee in my bag if I don't need it and on the other hand I don't want to get caught unawares and not be able to wee to order. :confused:
Thanks
Em xxxxx

No harm in taking it with you:p xx

My hubby was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago.
The first appointment with the nurse was just going over what diabetes means and what life style changes he would need to make.
No finger pricks or wee sample needed But he has been told to take a sample next week when he goes.
Unless they have asked for you to defiantly told to take a sample I wouldn't bother
HTH

You won't need to take a urine sample with you. Blood sugar levels are now tested by doing a HBA1C test, which is a blood test.

If they need a urine sample they will ask you to do one there, or the next time you attend clinic. They will also give you a sterile bottle to put it in. Usually if you take it in your own container, the sample is contaminated and of no use.

Any bloods taken would be fasting ones ie nothing to eat or drink after 12pm, so they will tell you in advance about any tests.

Hi

Has he had a glucose tolerance test done yet, or did they just say he was diabetic because of one abnormal reading, which might have been abnormal because he drank a can of coke or had eaten a bar of chocolate just before the test.

Some surgeries are a bit quick to label patients diabetic when they are not really. I know one person diagnosed type 2 five years ago, and has never seen his BG. Go above 5.2 when ever he tests it himself, even after he has eaten his monthly bag of doughnuts from ASDA. Sometimes they are so quick to make a diagnosis I suspect they get more funding for every diabetic patient thay have, or is that just me being suspicious.

Paul

I have my diabetic review with the diabetes nurse next Tuesday and had to have my blood tested last week so the results will be available for discussion. I have been asked to take a sample of urine in with me, early morning sample, for testing in case it needs to be sent off for further tests etc. So unless you have been asked to take a sample with you I wouldn't bother.

However while on the subject of diabetes, I thought I would share with you some good news. I visited the doctor this afternoon for a totally unrelated problem to do with psoriasis treatment and she got my notes up on the computer and declared that my HbA1C test result has come back as normal and my cholesterol has also come down. As a result of this she has stopped my insulin and replaced it with just one metformin tablet a day. This is just for the time being to see how I get on.

I am thrilled to bits. This is all a result of my Gastric Bypass and I am over the moon. I have got down to my target weight and reduced my insulin need from 300 units daily of Lantus and 44 units of Humalog prior to each meal right down to just 6 units of Lantus at night. Now this has been stopped and I couldn't be happier. This is the first time that I have had the test since just a week before the operation and the doctor has now declared that, providing I can continue to eat the tiny portions and keep the weight off then I will be a non diabetic person as far as she is concerned.

Having the bypass was the best thing that I have ever done in my life to improve my health and well being. I feel like a new woman at 62 :D

All I can say to anyone who is wondering whether to go for a bypass or not is go for it, especially if you are diabetic. The initial discomfort and getting used to eating tiny portions etc is so worth going through if your doctor can look you in the eye and tell you that have added an extra twenty years to your life. As an added incentive here are just a few of the other benefits that follow the bypass for me:

Having to get a whole new wardrobe because you have gone down from a size 24/26 to a 12/14 dress size. Being able to get some shorts (well board shorts as the top of my legs are very wrinkly now) ready for the summer. Being able to walk again (not used my disability scooter for months now). Having people not recognise me when they see me :D Feeling so much better in health and, actually being proud as punch to have my before and after photographs on the Surgeon's "Wall".

So if anyone is hesitating I would advise them to go for a bypass and do it as soon as possible. You will be so glad that you did.

Oh yes, and a big thank you to all you lovely people on here for all the help and support and encouragement that you have given to me. It made the whole experience so much easier for me. I love you all :)

Hi

Has he had a glucose tolerance test done yet, or did they just say he was diabetic because of one abnormal reading, which might have been abnormal because he drank a can of coke or had eaten a bar of chocolate just before the test.

Some surgeries are a bit quick to label patients diabetic when they are not really. I know one person diagnosed type 2 five years ago, and has never seen his BG. Go above 5.2 when ever he tests it himself, even after he has eaten his monthly bag of doughnuts from ASDA. Sometimes they are so quick to make a diagnosis I suspect they get more funding for every diabetic patient thay have, or is that just me being suspicious.

Paul

Hi Paul he had 2 fasting blood tests done both came back at over 9. So he is diabetic from the looks of things.
No mention of glucose tolerance test
They are hoping that he can control it with diet.

sorry for thread hijack

Just a quick answer for you...I usually drink a glass of water approximately half an hour before my appointments, that way I can pee on demand if needed. If they don't need a sample then I just go to the loo! :)

Josiegirl (Mandy) is right guys...you should take a urine sample from the first wee of the morning - this is because it has to be sent to the lab to measure something called ACR - your Albumin Creatinine ratio which is used as the early warning sign of kidney damage, which I am sure all you diabetics know is your biggest risk (this only has to be done once a year.)

Also you blood tests do not (generally) need to be done fasting, as they already know your diabetic and will not be doing a simple glucose blood test. We do a none fasting blood test called and Hba1c which is the average glucose reading over the last 12 weeks and is far more accurate at reflecting diabetic control. They should not be finger pricking as this tells you nothing about your long term diabetic control, and if you have fasted it is completely nonsensical to do!

Paul there are very clear guidelines from the World health organisation regarding the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes - and as Wendy knows if things are looking out of range, if you ain't diabetic at that moment in time - your probably heading that way! However your sinister thinking does denote some truth - if we look after diabetics well and meet quality targets known as QOF points, for blood pressure, foot checks and blood sugar we do indeed get some extra pennies in our budget to look after them as well as we can, but it's only about £36 per year!

Hope this helps, it's nothing to worry about, all routine stuff, height, weight, smoking?, alcohol?, activity?, blood pressure, feet sensitivity check, blood tests and wee dip and then send to lab (my area of work - in case you just think I am being a no it all!)
x

Last edited:
I have my diabetic review with the diabetes nurse next Tuesday and had to have my blood tested last week so the results will be available for discussion. I have been asked to take a sample of urine in with me, early morning sample, for testing in case it needs to be sent off for further tests etc. So unless you have been asked to take a sample with you I wouldn't bother.

However while on the subject of diabetes, I thought I would share with you some good news. I visited the doctor this afternoon for a totally unrelated problem to do with psoriasis treatment and she got my notes up on the computer and declared that my HbA1C test result has come back as normal and my cholesterol has also come down. As a result of this she has stopped my insulin and replaced it with just one metformin tablet a day. This is just for the time being to see how I get on.

I am thrilled to bits. This is all a result of my Gastric Bypass and I am over the moon. I have got down to my target weight and reduced my insulin need from 300 units daily of Lantus and 44 units of Humalog prior to each meal right down to just 6 units of Lantus at night. Now this has been stopped and I couldn't be happier. This is the first time that I have had the test since just a week before the operation and the doctor has now declared that, providing I can continue to eat the tiny portions and keep the weight off then I will be a non diabetic person as far as she is concerned.

Having the bypass was the best thing that I have ever done in my life to improve my health and well being. I feel like a new woman at 62 :D

All I can say to anyone who is wondering whether to go for a bypass or not is go for it, especially if you are diabetic. The initial discomfort and getting used to eating tiny portions etc is so worth going through if your doctor can look you in the eye and tell you that have added an extra twenty years to your life. As an added incentive here are just a few of the other benefits that follow the bypass for me:

Having to get a whole new wardrobe because you have gone down from a size 24/26 to a 12/14 dress size. Being able to get some shorts (well board shorts as the top of my legs are very wrinkly now) ready for the summer. Being able to walk again (not used my disability scooter for months now). Having people not recognise me when they see me :D Feeling so much better in health and, actually being proud as punch to have my before and after photographs on the Surgeon's "Wall".

So if anyone is hesitating I would advise them to go for a bypass and do it as soon as possible. You will be so glad that you did.

Oh yes, and a big thank you to all you lovely people on here for all the help and support and encouragement that you have given to me. It made the whole experience so much easier for me. I love you all :)

That is so wonderful to read...you have bought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat, absolutely fantastic ! Well done you xxxxxx

Josiegirl (Mandy) is right guys...you should take a urine sample from the first wee of the morning - this is because it has to be sent to the lab to measure something called ACR - your Albumin Creatinine ratio which is used as the early warning sign of kidney damage, which I am sure all you diabetics know is your biggest risk (this only has to be done once a year.)

Also you blood tests do not (generally) need to be done fasting, as they already know your diabetic and will not be doing a simple glucose blood test. We do a none fasting blood test called and Hba1c which is the average glucose reading over the last 12 weeks and is far more accurate at reflecting diabetic control. They should not be finger pricking as this tells you nothing about your long term diabetic control, and if you have fasted it is completely nonsensical to do!

Paul there are very clear guidelines from the World health organisation regarding the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes - and as Wendy knows if things are looking out of range, if you ain't diabetic at that moment in time - your probably heading that way! However your sinister thinking does denote some truth - if we look after diabetics well and meet quality targets known as QOF points, for blood pressure, foot checks and blood sugar we do indeed get some extra pennies in our budget to look after them as well as we can, but it's only about £36 per year!

Hope this helps, it's nothing to worry about, all routine stuff, height, weight, smoking?, alcohol?, activity?, blood pressure, feet sensitivity check, blood tests and wee dip and then send to lab (my area of work - in case you just think I am being a no it all!)
x

Thanx Dani
Just one question is 9.7 and 9.3 really bad or not too bad for his fasting blood test:confused:

A normal fasting blood sugar is 4.8mmols. Normal range is considered to be between 4 + 10 mmols. So those readings are just below the top end of normal range. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll take a sample with me just incase.
Also as I've got a feet appointment straight after I've had my little sister give me a pedicure too :)
Josiegirl, that's fantastic news...when I hear how well others have done after their WLS it's just totally inspirational to me :party0049:

A normal fasting blood sugar is 4.8mmols. Normal range is considered to be between 4 + 10 mmols. So those readings are just below the top end of normal range. Hope this helps :)

Sorry to be a bore - but this is incorrect normal blood sugar readings for a non diabetic is 4 to 6 mmols. For type 2 diabetics we aim for below 7.5mmols on an Hba1c reading. x

Sorry to be a bore - but this is incorrect normal blood sugar readings for a non diabetic is 4 to 6 mmols. For type 2 diabetics we aim for below 7.5mmols on an Hba1c reading. x
Hi Onion,
I always have measured around 6 mmols, yet I'm considered to be diabetic. Can you offer an explaination why? Many thanks

Hi Onion,
I always have measured around 6 mmols, yet I'm considered to be diabetic. Can you offer an explaination why? Many thanks

You are an excellent patient with good control! You would have been over 6.1mmols at the time of your diagnosis, even though you have good control and run at about 6 mmols - your bodies physiology is still that of a diabetic - However it's not your blood glucose that is the most important thing - it's more important to 1.have good blood pressure control, 2. be a none smoker, 3.have good cholesterol and 4. take regular activity. Hope this helps xxx

Back