• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Professor Ameet Patel Private

becca_hill

Hi all,

Extremely new here so hope I've posted in the right section.

I have done tons of research and after realizing how long and tedious it will be having surgery on the NHS (at the Whittington London) I have bit the bullet and applied for a loan to go private with Prof Ameet Patel.

I was just wondering if anybody else has any experience with him privately at Kings - how was the ward, the surgery, how long did it take from first contact at consultation to actually having the surgery etc.

I am planning on having the sleeve done and any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am 21 having never been a healthy weight and I am so ready to start my life over and get cracking!

Thanks x

Hello and welcome!

I'm sure we have members who had the surgeon your thinking of going with, so hopefully someone will come along soon.

Going private means you call the shots (within reason) over when you get the surgery. You'll be offered dates to pick from.

Have you totally ruled out the NHS route? I know it can be a long process but the pre op support and advice you get along the way 'can' be really good. So far for me anyway its the same post op. I get regular appointments with the dietitian and blood tests etc to test for any deficiencies.

So I guess the only advice I would give you is to make sure you get a good aftercare package. Good luck! x

I got my bypass through the NHS rather than going private (had my bypass in March this year), but Prof Ameet Patel was my surgeon. I can't answer your question about how long the wait is when going privately, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have about King's or my experience. King's have several surgical wards, some of which are older and a bit more run down than others. I've been admitted to two of them - one following the actual surgery (Coptcoat ward), and one two months post surgery due to dehydration and vitamin deficiencies (Brunel ward). Coptcoat ward is newer, the rooms are a lot more spacious etc (5 beds per room). Personally I preferred the Brunel ward however, the nursing staff there were lovely.

Professor Patel is absolutely lovely - a soft spoken man who genuinely cares about his patients. Despite having so many patients he remembers every single detail of your case and previous conversations. He's very, very experienced and a highly respected bariatric surgeon so you'll be in good hands. All the junior surgeons in his team talked about how thorough he was in theatre.

If you want a more detailed account of what my actual day of surgery was like, there is a post about half way down on this page here in my diary: https://www.wlsurgery.com/threads/time-for-change-tialis-diary.161655/page-4

I would echo Mazza's advice above though - make sure you have a good aftercare package!! IF you have any complications, the NHS generally don't want to deal with you if you've gone private, so it can end up being costly.

Hi i wondered how much he charges to go private please for a sleeve? Unfortunately it's hard to get funding through the NHs route and i am also worried that the NHS support if I go private will be non existent however i have no other option! Good luck with whatever route you go

Back