• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protien. .and stuff we dont understand

I don’t even know what a ‘macro’ is?! Is is just a posh word for something??? x

macro is short for macronutrients which are protein, fats, carbs (the three power players that most who track calories take note of one or the other). These 3 provide your body with energy. There will always be differing views on which one is the most important for weight loss and I think its dependent on your individual body to find the correct combo for you. Lots of people focus on protein as its lean, filling and basically what your body uses for muscle growth and repair.

Info I lifted from St Georges Hospital NHS Bariatric handbook. So some NHS hospitals teach the importance of protein.

Protein is important for wound healing and to preserve your muscle tissue during the weight loss phase. Protein also keeps you fuller for longer and may help fight off cravings. All your meals should include protein. In the long term you should aim for balanced healthy eating. Within reason there is nothing you cannot eat after weight loss surgery. Success is a matter of food choice, quantity and frequency of eating. Keep in mind the surgery alone will not change your eating habits. It will restrict how much you can eat but does little to influence your choice of foods.

Weight loss surgery is very effective in reducing the perception of hunger, so much so that it may be tempting to miss meals altogether. Unfortunately this can stall your weight loss by slowing your metabolism. You may also deplete your body stores of vitamins, minerals, protein and energy. This may leave you vulnerable to illness or infection, or make you feel unwell. It is important to establish a good daily routine of three meals even if you are not hungry.

Very informative sandra do u have any high protien favorite drinks/meals you would like to share do u follow the protien first rule pre opp or are u more cals and carbs like myself

I do occasionally use protein shakes from home bargains, they are quite nice, they have 26g of protein , but do have 10.2g of sugar, which is like 2tsps and 150 cals, they cost 69p. I used them to take away with me, but I rarely drink them otherwise, I prefer food. I do try and have protein and veg mainly with only a small amount of carbs, by carbs I mean bread, pasta, rice, potato. I don't really count carbs in fruit and veg, because I see them as healthy carbs for my body. I do limit the amount of sugar carbs I have. But my diet is based on calorie counting.
I'll have a milk spinach and banana smoothie for breakfast.
A big salad with chicken or prawns on for lunch with a little dressing.
A 400 cal ready meal with loads of extra veg for dinner.
In between meals I'll drink lots of water, NAS lemon squash, tea and milky coffees. x

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_204856_kindlephoto-495036782.jpg
    IMG_20180910_204856_kindlephoto-495036782.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1
I do occasionally use protein shakes from home bargains, they are quite nice, they have 26g of protein , but do have 10.2g of sugar, which is like 2tsps and 150 cals, they cost 69p. I used them to take away with me, but I rarely drink them otherwise, I prefer food. I do try and have protein and veg mainly with only a small amount of carbs, by carbs I mean bread, pasta, rice, potato. I don't really count carbs in fruit and veg, because I see them as healthy carbs for my body. I do limit the amount of sugar carbs I have. But my diet is based on calorie counting.
In between meals I'll drink lots of water, NAS lemon squash, tea and milky coffees. x

Sounds excellent to me xx

Is there a ratio that should be kept to? Or try to keep to??Protein:Carbs/Protein:Sugar? x
My dietician told me I should be aiming for 100g protein a day (not 100g in weight but 100g actual protein....eg an egg has between 6 and 8g so 100g is a challenge, I have protein water and have started to have unflavoured protein powder in almond milk with coffee too so about 43g of my protein intake is from powder. Xx

Hopefully Bling’ll be along soon like a ray of sunshine and everything’ll become clear!! :hugs:
Kim has answered very well, you should have whey isolate protein powder rather that just whey. I’m not great at explaining things but there is a lot of info on Myprotein website and googling it will give you heaps of info...protein really is our best friend, it’s the building block of all of our cells, I do wish we could just pop a pill for it though (even though I’m enjoying reducing my daily tablets).
I have to say my 22 month wait for wls really did help me to utilise the time to research research research.
Look forward to some recipes xx

My dietician told me I should be aiming for 100g protein a day (not 100g in weight but 100g actual protein....eg an egg has between 6 and 8g so 100g is a challenge, I have protein water and have started to have unflavoured protein powder in almond milk with coffee too so about 43g of my protein intake is from powder. Xx

@MariaMaria83 focus on high protein, low carbs so double protein for the carbs total in the day. Like Bling I try for 80g-100g of protein per day so 40g to 50g of carbs. It's hard post op because the volume of food you'd have to eat to get that amount of protein is immense. Most days I have at least one protein shake that I make from powder & milk. Premade ones tend to have high sugar so I avoid unless in a pinch. I also look for low sugar versions of protein bars if I want to eat something but those are usually marketed to body builders who want to gain so are high carb too to fuel their workouts. You can make your meals a bit higher protein by just sprinkling protein powder on things or marvel powder in things.

I don't stress about fat but tend to naturally eat low fat and I watch out for any portion size with over 15g sugar as even though I'm sleeved I experience dumping.

Thanks hun, erm this weekend did not look like that lol x
Ur food diary sounds so good no wonder ur losing weight love

See i wouldnt dream of having a protien drink post opp it would be in my eyes like having full fizzy pop a waste of calories i totally understand them pre opp as u struggle getting stuff in so a protien drink would help but post opp suppose might be good as a meal replacement is this when u have them sandra as a replacement for meals when ur working

Ur food diary sounds so good no wonder ur losing weight love

See i wouldnt dream of having a protien drink post opp it would be in my eyes like having full fizzy pop a waste of calories i totally understand them pre opp as u struggle getting stuff in so a protien drink would help but post opp suppose might be good as a meal replacement is this when u have them sandra as a replacement for meals when ur working
I hardly ever have them hun, I prefer food, but yes if I'm working extra hours at work I might take one with me and I took some away with me because they don't have to be kept in the fridge and they are easy to carry with you, but as a general rule I'm like you I don't see the need for them pre op, I don't like slim fast as too much sugar and an expensive fad and the same with a lot of protein and so called health bars, they have loads of sugar. The best thing to have I now know is milk. x

Back