• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Putting on weight?

Bella'sBand

Anyone put on weight post op with a gastric band? I put 1lb on the second week of my liquid diet. This week I am moving onto mushies and I am scared this will mean more pounds on as I was eating next to nothing on the liquid diet, did not reach 800 cals a day :(
What to do? 14ml band with no restriction, but I have done a good job of restricting myself, no binging, no over eating, no cheating so WHY???:confused: :(

Hello there, Your very early days and with no restriction it is quite normal for ppl to gain a little weight b4 their first fill so dont worry your not alone. This is when your will power really has to come into play until you start getting your fills and hit that sweet spot. Wishing you all the best - Julie xx

Thanks Julie, but that is the worrying thing. I have had 100% will power and not slipped up at all. Even with a fill I am sure you are not expected to eat below 800cals a day. So if I cannot loose a pound on that what is the future with fills supposed to be? You have done great, what is your average cal intake to loose weight?

Thanks Julie, but that is the worrying thing. I have had 100% will power and not slipped up at all. Even with a fill I am sure you are not expected to eat below 800cals a day. So if I cannot loose a pound on that what is the future with fills supposed to be? You have done great, what is your average cal intake to loose weight?

Hello again

800 Calories is quite low tbh - 1000-1200 is I would say around the average most banders consume I believe from what I have experienced on this site. How is your fluid intake hun ??? Too be honest I dont count calories at all, but not forgetting I am at my sweet spot and my band lets me know when I have consumed enough food.

I mean dont get me wrong I know I am not consuming thousands of calories a day etc lol - I stick to my 3 meals a day ( and I dont snack at all) and I keep my fluids up, If I had gained I would look at what foods/fluids I was consuming and then look my portion size. From looking at those two pieces of info it would tell me whether I need to change my diet or I needed another fill etc. I am very lucky to say I have not had a fill since feb 2011 - Wishing you all the best - Julie xx

Thanks Julie, I agree 800 is low that is why I am scared to go onto mushies today I know I am going to eat more calories just for the simple fact I will be adding to my diet. I just cannot understand this gain!
So if self control and low cal = a gain what is restriction going to do for me? Limit my eating, yes. Lower my calorie intake, yes. Isn't that supposed to be what will make me loose weight with the band? I know it may not seem a big deal 1lb but I think how am I supposed to loose weight then? What can I do? I kept up my fluids, only had soups and smoothies with an odd yogurt so what more could I have done?
Now I am going on to mushies weetabix for breakfast, tuna for lunch and some mashed potatoe and turnip for dinner I fear the scales are just going to go up again next week :( and I feel like I am letting everyone down. I am dreading telling my family I had a gain so soon after surgery, I feel like such a failure (I feel so foolish I am crying right now) I know the gastric band is not a miracle but for goodness sake what more did I have to give?
Sorry Julie for thinking out loud it is so sweet of you to encourage me and share your experience.
But arrrggghhhhhh!!! I feel like such a failure :( I do not know what to do.

Thanks Julie, I agree 800 is low that is why I am scared to go onto mushies today I know I am going to eat more calories just for the simple fact I will be adding to my diet. I just cannot understand this gain

Hiya Bella

Because you are eating too fewer calories your body is holding and storing the fat because it goes into starvation mode , thats why the gain probably hun. Eating less isnt best , you have to find a happy medium for your body x x x

So if self control and low cal = a gain what is restriction going to do for me? Limit my eating, yes. Lower my calorie intake, yes. Isn't that supposed to be what will make me loose weight with the band?

Having a band isnt about lowering your calorific intake hun, its about eating smaller portions. x x

I know it may not seem a big deal 1lb but I think how am I supposed to loose weight then? What can I do? I kept up my fluids, only had soups and smoothies with an odd yogurt so what more could I have done?

Sounds to me your doing fab - you have lost weight since you started your journey and everyone gains a 1lbs or 2 from time to time its par for the course on this weight loss journey Bella - Please I know its easier said then done ( I been there) please try not to stress out so much , your very early days and try not to get yourself consumed with weighing ( do this once a week / month by the way) as your weight fluctuates so much during the week/month etc , ( esp if ur due your totm as well) x x

Now I am going on to mushies weetabix for breakfast, tuna for lunch and some mashed potatoe and turnip for dinner I fear the scales are just going to go up again next week :( and I feel like I am letting everyone down. I am dreading telling my family I had a gain so soon after surgery, I feel like such a failure (I feel so foolish I am crying right now) I know the gastric band is not a miracle but for goodness sake what more did I have to give?
Sorry Julie for thinking out loud it is so sweet of you to encourage me and share your experience.
But arrrggghhhhhh!!! I feel like such a failure :( I do not know what to do.

Your Not a FAILURE, please do not think that. x x x - Your not letting anyone down, you have barely started your journey Bella and your body needs time to adjust to a new journey. - When I started out on my journey I went for my first fill to be told my port had flipped and I couldnt have a fill and had to wait or another op ( dont worry this is rare) so you can imagine what I was thinking, but from first fill to last fill ( have had 4 fills) I kept going from strength to strength and lost all my excess weight within 10 months...............first few weeks was shaky but then I just knuckled down with it and thought right I am gonna do this come hell or high water. x x - Your not foolish - dry those tears my dear and think positive - YOU CAN DO THIS - x x everyone is here to help each other and pass on valuable information - After all I was in your position once, thats why I have remained on this site to try and pass on what information I have gained from those that where here before me - All the best - Julie xx

Hi Bella

You are not a failure I agree with Julie you need to try and eat more. I've been having a normal hot chocolate like a galaxy or dairy milk in the evening made with 200mls ss milk to boost my intake and the weight came off during the week after upping it slightly. I've also been having of custard pots as well and homemade fruit coulis which has varied the diet from just soups. I'm sure we'll have lots of ups and downs our bodies are going through such a change.

Don't tell others you've gained a tiny bit as it could be a number of different things just say u stayed the same or tell them it's not their business.

You will be fine, give it time.

Sorry I pad has predictive text that I cannot work out how to stop meant to say l f custard as in low fat!

Thank you so much for that Julie. I know I am being silly but after 3 weeks of great weight loss I knew it would slow down or maintain so I think I was just totally blindsided that I had a gain so early out.
You have made me feel a lot better though, truly you have. I know it is a marathon and not a sprint, but I just feel everyone has the expection that you have a band so you will be loosing at lightning speed.
I am just dreading telling my family because I know they will say ''its OK your body is adjusting, don't worry about it'' and I think it will make me cry. Because they all want it for me so badly and I just felt this was my last option and to have a gain so early on really knocked my confidence for future weight loss.
I know I am being silly I will get over it. I will have a chat to my husband when he gets home.
But sincerely thank you, you really have made me feel better:thankyou: you are an inspiration and thank you for sticking around to give us newbies encouragment and advice, we really need it. I know I did today and you have been there for me, thank you :)

Thanks Keb, you are right too we will have lots of ups and downs along the way. I just did not expect a down so soon out. I am just going to get over it and focus on next week. I am on mushies now and the cals will be easy to put up, especially with no fill so I am confident I can get up to 1,200, but fear it will make me gain next week :( But I am just going to have to jump off the cliff and go for it because 800 cals did not work so what have I got to loose?
Thanks Kate :) So nice of you to take the time and share.

@bella. Blue diamond is sooo right. Try not to stress about it. I do weigh weekly and sometimes more often, but I record my weight on my signature monthly as that's a far better, honest measure of where you are overall. Having one or two 'bad days' if daily weighing and that can send dieters right off track thinking they have blown it, rather than thinking of the bigger picture. I only count calories BECAUSE my weight fluctuates and body changes so much during the month. IF I had restriction to hit my sweet spot at the times of the month when I honestly feel I could eat a horse, the other couple of the weeks of the month the band would be too tight. I wish i could rely on my band totally like BD but for me that would not work. You WILL find your own groove, it may just find you a little longer to find it, so to speak. Xxx

Thanks flutterby I promise stress is over. I have given myself a good shake and wagged my finger in the mirror. Its done, I am over it, move onwards and DOWNWARDS ;) I just have to focus on having lost 19lbs in a month and be really proud of that and give myself a pat on the back. Who knows what the next four weeks will bring? I know one thing is for sure I will be giving it 100% effort :)

Absolutely, and we will all be pushing you in the right direction :D

:D Good to know :D and trust me I will not be resisting the push ;)

Back