• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommended foods for banders

Yeah you want to be done eating about 3 hours at least before you go to sleep.
And get plenty of sleep as we crave snacky food to keep our brains going (to compensate for not resting some brain cells during proper sleepy time)

SOme interesting stuff there Neen.

FUnny that I've been given n allowance of 16-1900 calories. I was told by food focus I'd have to eat around 1500 calories per day for 2Ibs per week.

Thanks Neen

I'm not going to hijack your thread ladies just wanted to say the bariatriccookery site has plenty of menus on there but if there was anything in particular you fancied feel free to shout. I treated myself and have it, were going for Chicken n Cauli curry today (minus the cauli as the kids will think i'm trying to poison them), there are a few smoothie and oaty type breakfasts in there as well....

Nice to see you back Cah-ching x

ps forgot to say i'm sure you will make your band work for you 100% and thank you for an honest and positive thread

Hiya CC I been told to stick to around 1200 calories, strange how ppl get told differently eh . all the best hun - Julie xx

Thank you Julie!!! All donations of good advice and info and support gratefully received!! xxxx

I'm not going to hijack your thread ladies just wanted to say the bariatriccookery site has plenty of menus on there but if there was anything in particular you fancied feel free to shout. I treated myself and have it, were going for Chicken n Cauli curry today (minus the cauli as the kids will think i'm trying to poison them), there are a few smoothie and oaty type breakfasts in there as well....

Nice to see you back Cah-ching x

ps forgot to say i'm sure you will make your band work for you 100% and thank you for an honest and positive thread

good thread ladies.

i tried to work out my magic number & its clearly too difficult for my little brain :(

How old are you Em and what's your activity level? I can put it through for you if you want x

age 27
im not sure what to go off for the activity levels??
im probably just average..whatever that is. ha.
i dont exercise every day, although i know i need to.
i do run round after a 2 year old though, and have quite a physical job.

Hiya Emma, I ran your details through for light activity which hopefully will be a good guideline and any exercise you do will help burn more

1937 calories a day.
Your magic number is calculated assuming that your goal is to lose 2 pounds a week. To meet this goal, the best meal plan calorie level for you is 1,600–1,900.
Once you’ve met your weight-loss goals, it’s time to go into maintenance mode. To maintain your weight, you should aim for 2937 calories a day.

How is your magic number calculated?

(Well, it isn't really magic!) Weight loss is simple math. You must burn more calories than you consume. You've got to know how many calories go in and how many go out!

A. How to Calculate Calories Burned
The number of calories you're burning (your Active Metabolic Rate, more commonly known as your Total Energy Expenditure, or TEE) varies from person to person and takes into account three factors: what your body burns doing nothing (known as Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR), your basic daily activity level, and the amount of exercise you do on a daily basis.
http://javascript<b></b>:__doPostBack('ctl01$ctl03$calculatorcalorie$ctl00$lbToggle','')
1. Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Your BMR is what your body burns doing nothing. Your BMR is affected by your gender, age, height, and weight.
  • Gender: The more lean muscle tissue you have, the faster your metabolism is. Men are the winners here — women tend to have less lean muscle and thus slower metabolisms. (Not fair, but true!)
  • Age: The younger you are, the higher your BMR. (Still not fair!)
  • Height and weight: The bigger you are, the more calories you burn. (Well, that’s not so bad; you'll slim down faster!)
Women's BMR formula (with your values inserted):
655 + (4.35 x 272 lbs) + (4.7 x 68 in) – (4.7 x 27 years)

2. Daily Activity Level
This describes your basic activity on any given day. Those calories are accounted for in your daily activity level factor, which ranges from 1.1 to 1.4.
You scored 1.2, which is considered physical activity

3. Exercise Expenditure
Okay, this is the number of calories you burn from exercise on an average day. Since you’ve signed up for my program, I’ve calculated that number for you. By sticking to my circuit-training workouts, you will burn 500 calories a day.

Now that you have the numbers, you can find out your Total Energy Expenditure (TEE).
To calculate your TEE, I plugged your values into the following equation:
x 1.2 + 500 = 2937

B. How to Calculate Calories Consumed:
It's pretty basic. Everything you eat has a caloric value. To stay within your number of calories, you need to know what you're eating (that includes reading food labels) to stay on track. Be sure to record the calories you consume each day

C. How to Calculate Your Weight Loss:
A pound equals 3,500 calories, so if you want to lose two pounds a week, you'll need to burn an extra 7,000 calories a week (or 1,000 calories a day).
Since you burn 2937 calories per day, simply subtract 1,000 from that number to arrive at the number of calories you may consume daily, i.e., your magic number:

2937 1,000 1937*
Now that you know how many calories you need to eat to lose two pounds a week, find out what kinds of foods you should be eating to fuel your workouts and weight loss efforts!

thanks a lot nina!

ive actually not been counting calories much. ive been checking calories in things before buying..but not actually calorie counted on a daily basis.
i think i might give it a go

thank you xx

This thread is gr8 , its made me realise that I havent been counting calories at all since my op , its all been about portion sizes (no rude comments laydee's lol) and wot I can eat ,but since yesterday I been using a calorie counter and put all me credentials in and see if it makes a difference, only time will tell ppl but its worth a shot , got me first weigh in since me fill last monday so the proof will really be in the pudding .xx Julie xx

I think calorie counting is good for a while to help you learn how much to have and what foods etc...I would see how you go without unless you hit a stall and want to double check you are not eating too much.
At the moment you can have quite a generous amount of cals and this is the figure for light activity...I think you probably cannot eat that amount of cals!! But it's good to know you have that leeway.
I got back on track after not losing due to no real restriction, by counting cals...I definately think that it is a good thing to do to review what you're doing and maybe help if you are not losing for a week or two.
Having done it for a long time off and on, I am at the stage where I know roughly how much I get through and how many are in my regularly eaten foods and I am trying to stop counting and start to eat smart by trusting myself and being sensible. See how that works this week!!!
Obviously as you lose weight that figure will have to be amended.
xxxx

Cah-ching , I would use it to check in with yourself but don't let it become an obsession as it can be counter-productive and make you focus on food all day. It's good to help you learn by eye what to have as I said, but I think ultimately it's just a step towards guiding you back to an instinctive healthy portion size (band also reinforces that at good restriction) and normal relationship with food.

thanks. i have to be honest and tell you that the amount of calories suggested by that thing you used worries me in as much as it seems too much. i really want to lose 2_ pounds per week and get to somewhere close to or at goal before my two yrs aftercare is up (april 2012). if i could lose 9Ib per month i'd be very happy

Yeah I thought that too, but this is from Jillian Michaels site (biggest loser USA trainer) and she knows what she's talking about when it comes to getting very heavy people fit.
If we don't have enough we just end up slowing our metabolism down to a crawl...having one day a week where I eat a bit extra/have a treat helps stop the metabolism from resetting too low..it's good to keep it shaking up.

If you are nervous about it (and bare in mind as you lose weight the calorie figure will go down too) Maybe use the lower figure 1600, and see how it goes for the week.
I would maybe go for between 1400 -1600 if I was you and just see. I would sometimes have calories left to use and if I wasn't hungry I would not eat just to use them up...naturally slim people are hungrier some days than others. Over the course of the week it balances out.

It's nice to have the leeway, use healthy foods and don't eat if you aren't hungry.
I think looking at everything I have picked up and from what I found was successful, you will have your own unique ideal way for losing weight best...for me it's a combination of elements from Paul Mckenna, Bob Harper , Hypnosis in general etc (the emotional /mental side), the calorie control as a guideline (common sense healthy choices and consequences for choosing higher cal foods) and the band to help in the background for damage limitation (nasty consequences for lapsing into binges).

That is how it's been for me. There's like a mish mash of elements that compliment each other.

Yeah I thought that too, but this is from Jillian Michaels site (biggest loser USA trainer) and she knows what she's talking about when it comes to getting very heavy people fit.
If we don't have enough we just end up slowing our metabolism down to a crawl...having one day a week where I eat a bit extra/have a treat helps stop the metabolism from resetting too low..it's good to keep it shaking up.

If you are nervous about it (and bare in mind as you lose weight the calorie figure will go down too) Maybe use the lower figure 1600, and see how it goes for the week.
I would maybe go for between 1400 -1600 if I was you and just see. I would sometimes have calories left to use and if I wasn't hungry I would not eat just to use them up...naturally slim people are hungrier some days than others. Over the course of the week it balances out.

It's nice to have the leeway, use healthy foods and don't eat if you aren't hungry.
I think looking at everything I have picked up and from what I found was successful, you will have your own unique ideal way for losing weight best...for me it's a combination of elements from Paul Mckenna, Bob Harper , Hypnosis in general etc (the emotional /mental side), the calorie control as a guideline (common sense healthy choices and consequences for choosing higher cal foods) and the band to help in the background for damage limitation (nasty consequences for lapsing into binges).

That is how it's been for me. There's like a mish mash of elements that compliment each other.

that makes a lot of sense.

the figure you quoted 16-1900 kCals per day, was that to lose 2Ibs per week?

I guess I can give it a go as it can't do too much harm.

Yeah that's for 2lbs a week. Obviously any exercise you manage is going to boost your losses on those cals...plus It's unlikely you could eat that many cals with your band in..even with not so great restriction.

SO , basically, you are able to have a good deal of leeway, probably unlikely to get hungry, covered calorie wise if you do have a day where you are hungry and hopefully, lose some weight without actually feeling like it's a big deprivation.

One week is a good run at it to see how it goes and will not really harm your efforts so far. Might even get things moving again if you have been eating very low calories before...boost that metabolism and stop you storing everything you eat for the famine your body thinks you're enduring.

It will take the pressure off you by having a more generous calorie limit and you will be less likely to fall off the wagon and go nuts on a binge or a load of high cal slider food out of desparation.

Last edited:
Back