• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommended foods for banders

Tip 'O' the day....
Stop a sweet craving binge DEAD!!!

Next time you just HAVE to go face down in a bag of crisps or have me time with a humungous choccie bar....

Instead go get a small tin of tuna...drain, sprinkle a bit of vinegar and a shake of black pepper and dig in!

I defy any bander (or bypasser) to still feel hungry after...you might not even be able to have more than a couple mouthfuls before you are full.

There are only about 140 cals in a small size can of Tuna in spring water/brine so even if you have 2 tins or one large tin (unlikely you can manage) you will not harm your weight loss...you will be having something packed with good nutrients and you will be full for ages afterwards!!

Obviously works best if you like tuna!!!! Maybe salmon would work too?
What's a good veggie alternative? Perhaps a boiled egg or two?

I'm going to try this one, this week!!! Hopefully beat my nemisis the dreaded sugar!

I was talking to our letting agent today (she's just visited) and she remarked on my progress and we got talking about her Aunt. This lady had started out at 30 stone and had lost the majority of her excess on weight watchers over about 2 years...she now is about a size 14 and a ww consultant. Every time she wanted choc she would go eat the tuna as described above and it totally stopped her brain wanting sweet stuff..the smell of it as well is nice etc...
I figured , if it helped her then it's going to help me too.
We just have to flake it up more and take little nibbles...because it can stick I reckon one tin, tipped into a bowl and in the fridge ready would last all day..just a tiny careful nibble everytime a craving hits and we would be sorted.
Go steady but I reckon it's worth a go!
I'll let you know if it stops me as I am a real cookie monster

im gonna give that a go too.
i'll maybe swap between tuna & a boiled egg.

i could eat a tin of tuna no problems though (probably 2)...ive got my second fill next week though, so hopefully it'll do the trick

It will be interesting to see how it goes for you then. Since my defill I have no problems eating quite a few things I couldn't before...I like the idea that it confuses your brain into associating sweet cravings to something healthy and savory...would love to see if it can kill the urge off as I am hopeless sometimes..specially coming up to TOTM like I am right now x

Hi Banders! Well I gave the tuna a test run last night and it was great! I barely had half a small tin, drained with a slosh of light vinegar and a wee touch of black pepper.

Definately filled a hole and I had tons enough left over to be able to go back and nibble more if it was necessary.

I think you could also try the tuna with a squirt of lemon or lime juice and the pepper too.

I wonder if it will kill off the PMT munchies? That's like the ultimate test today.

Also yesterday I had a slice of the presliced low low cheddar.
It's 60 cals for one of those and I just nibbled it slowly to take the edge off my munchies as I made the kids tea.
Nice and yummy !

Last edited:
Hiya folks !
Following on from the previous post or two (plus not wanting this post to get buried and forgotten!)

How about we all come up with some more really good hunger stoppers to help us all stick to plan?

What healthy snacks or meals have really been enjoyable AND helped you stick to good choices...what has been great for keeping you full up?

Let's get a list together of tried and tested super band foods!

So we got the Tuna as a brilliant hunger stopper
Hope that we can all add our faves and make a really good list !

Im with you on the tuna Neen, its very filling! I eat fish but not meat so some of mine may not be everyones taste!:

One of mine is Ryvita's. I love the black pepper ones which are only 35 calories each, plus the seedy ones which are a bit more. Nibbling on one really fills a gap plus they are cheaper than buying the snack size packs. I can only ever eat two in one go.

Another is beetroot - yum! on its own as a snack or add it to grated carrot, bit of red onion, cherry toms, cucumber, bit of low fat coleslaw, maybe some humous some sweet chilli sauce and youve got one of my favourite meals!

Very thin melba toasts (pack of 6 is only 35 cals) - just two with a smidge of whole earth no added sugar crunchy peanut butter is very filling and a good protein choice. Or with cottage cheese, or smoked salmon and low fat phili.

A handful of bran flakes, or fruit and fibre.

A milky coffee, made with skimmed milk.

A few unsalted almonds or cashews.

I could go on all night! lol ;)

Oh yes please, not tried any yet, dont really have time in the week. Hopefully will experiment at the weekend! x

Not even "ants on a log"?? Aw OK I will look forward to the Mazza taste test results soon!!!

I'll try and sort the fishy recipes for you this week Okey dokey?

Thought of any sweet snacks? I think the bigger snack a jacks are quite nice !
I am trying to get some fruit down me this week!! I love raspberries and we had a load in the garden this year.

Dont get me wrong I do love chocolate but can take it or leave it, havent really got a sweet tooth. I find fruit such as pears, banana's, melon and grapes very filling. Cant eat apple with skin on and havent tried snack a jacks since the op for fear of them sticking! :eek:

Sometimes at work, from the canteen I have a greek yoghurt with honey and museli or with strawberries which is yummy :D I have it mid morning instead of a slim fast.

I haven't come to any of my own apart from my (promax maximuscle shake which cuts my appetite like a knife) ... but I will give it some conscious thought over the next few days!

I'm scared to try the tuna, the very idea makes me think sticky sticky in my throaty throaty! :eek:

I haven't come to any of my own apart from my (promax maximuscle shake which cuts my appetite like a knife) ... but I will give it some conscious thought over the next few days!

I'm scared to try the tuna, the very idea makes me think sticky sticky in my throaty throaty! :eek:

Hi and oh dear, I take it you are not a fan of the meaty fish named tuna ? lol

My OH has the whey protein shakes, I tried them but they really made me feel sick and for ages? I dont know why - I really wanted to like them :(

Come on ! You had a fish cake for tea!!!

Flake it up really finely and nibble slow...just doing it slow is gonna help anyway with a craving....it's very hard to binge slowly :D

Hi and oh dear, I take it you are not a fan of the meaty fish named tuna ? lol

My OH has the whey protein shakes, I tried them but they really made me feel sick and for ages? I dont know why - I really wanted to like them :(

Come on ! You had a fish cake for tea!!!

Flake it up really finely and nibble slow...just doing it slow is gonna help anyway with a craving....it's very hard to binge slowly :D

LOL! I love tuna fish. However since my band restriction, I find I can't tolerate certain things ... tuna fish and cod being offenders. Too meaty and chewy for me now :(. I only bought the fish cakes because they were salmon and I can take salmon because of its softer texture. I have tins of tuna in the cupboard looking for a home in my tummy and I'm too scared to try it!

I'll give it a go soon and let you know :)

Oh my, I still feel sooooo stuffed after my tea, grated carrot, beetroot etc as described above! I hope I can sleep!!!! :eek:

Back