• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Referal refused grrrr

Kezzerbelle

Ok now I can think straight.

Already I've hit wall before I've even started. I saw my doc yesterday and although I have a BMI of 47 ( I thought 45, but he deffo said it's 47) , I don't meet any of the other criteria. Therefore he was unable to make a referal argggghhhhh. But deep down I knew this prob was the answer I was expecting but still feel rubbish about it.

So now the only option is to fund it myself! I know it's going to cost, but I've seen a wide variety of costings. I need to find the right surgeon for me. Any recommendations and guidance would be appreciated. I will not be beaten!

Hi, Kerry, sorry to hear they will not refer, everyone will say on here that their surgeon is the best, but research, I have had two ops, first one with Mr Baily at Spire Southampton, done on the NHS, had a bypass and lost 9 stone and on 30th July had revision bypass and fobi ring privately at THe Spire Douthampton with Mr Van den Bossche and that cost £12,200, worth every penny, weight coming off again. Good luck with what you choose

weegie

Alternatively you can fight it, NICE Guidelines are BMI over 40 without co-morbidities. Does your area have a stated position different to this?

Having said that, I waited two years after a referral and heard nothing. My health was deteriorating so I bit the bullet and went private.

There are downsides to self funding as you do not have the support system of a bariatric unit nearby. It is important that you have your GP on board as post op you will need regular blood tests and more than likely regular medications.

Best of luck x

Last edited by a moderator:

lalole

Jax
Hi i have not had my op yet, im booked in with Mr Super at THG on the 21st for a band (£5000) whatever you decided i wish you the best of luck x

Kezzerbelle

Thank you all. Today I contacted spire hospital Portsmouth, and have arranged a meeting with a bariatric nurse, who will give me some more info. To help me decide for sure and also on the procedure I want, I think I know! But they may think differently. Following that I will be put forward to a consultant.

I know this is right for me, time to be brave a go for what a want

Bonita S

Before you go down the private route double check the criteria with your PCT. Not so long ago the BMI was dropped and lots of doctors don't know this so double check it for your area.

Summer1992

I was in a similar position too, so I understand how frustrating it is, good luck with whatever you decide to do Kerry :)

xk1rstyx

The bmi is 35 with certain health issues like high BP or diabetes and 40 bmi with none of these so you should qualify for nhs. Sound like your gp doesn't know the guidelines if u call ur local pct or pals helpline they will email u a copy of the criteria then you can go back to gp. Try that before you spend a lot of money going private. Having a good gp is half the battle. Good luck

Kirsty xx

ladilindy

The bmi is 35 with certain health issues like high BP or diabetes and 40 bmi with none of these so you should qualify for nhs. Sound like your gp doesn't know the guidelines if u call ur local pct or pals helpline they will email u a copy of the criteria then you can go back to gp. Try that before you spend a lot of money going private. Having a good gp is half the battle. Good luck

Kirsty xx

Some hospitals set their own criteria, my local hospital says BMI of 50 with no co-morbs or 45 with 2 co-morbs.

Lynn x

Kezzerbelle

Thanks guys, my gp was lovely and he did go through the referral form with me, and he said he can see the benefit for me as I run the risk of getting more contortions because of my weight.

Prevention better than cure or something like that. Oh well hey ho. Meeting at the spire in 2 weeks

HRR32

Hi there, personally I would check with your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG - new name for the PCT). If your BMI is with their guidance for referral to hospital then I would also check your local hospital Trust referral criteria (if this is where the stumbling block is then you can request to be referred to a different hospital Trust - I would check the criteria for the different hospital Trusts that are nearest to you first). Hope this helps. Xx

xk1rstyx

Some hospitals set their own criteria, my local hospital says BMI of 50 with no co-morbs or 45 with 2 co-morbs.

Lynn x

I didn't realise this I thought the guide line were the same for all nhs. It's a shame that's it's different as it means some people won't qualify based on where they live. I'm lucky I qualify in my area and even luckier I don't need to do tier 3 as there isn't one local to me so hone straight to tier 4. Got my first appointment this Friday I'm so scared of going but excited also.

Kirsty xx

TrefG

Alternatively you can fight it, NICE Guidelines are BMI over 40 without co-morbidities. Does your area have a stated position different to this?

Having said that, I waited two years after a referral and heard nothing. My health was deteriorating so I bit the bullet and went private.

There are downsides to self funding as you do not have the support system of a bariatric unit nearby. It is important that you have your GP on board as post op you will need regular blood tests and more than likely regular medications.

Best of luck x

I'd echo this.

Best of luck :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member

Kirsty xx

PCT's are no more!

Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) were created following the Health and Social Care Act in 2012, and replaced Primary Care Trusts on 1 April 2013. CCGs are clinically-led statutory NHS bodies responsible for the planning and commissioning of health care services for their local area. There are now 209 CCGs in England.

GP practises are members of the CCG's so influence where the NHS money in their area gets spent.

It might be worth asking again but try and find out who decides who gets surgery and tackle it that way.

God luck :D

Oh and less of the Belgium pushing please people.