• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

REJECTED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

janeyf

Well, as you can see its a NO again. The letter goes straight in saying "It appears that you wish to appeal because you disagree with the bariatric surgery policy. Appeals against policy decisions that have been made by The Board of NHS Stockport ARE NOT ALLOWED"

Apparently if I feel I have other clinical factors that I am more likely to benefit from surgery than the majority of other people who would also like this type of surgery (MEANING DO I THINK I AM MORE IMPORTANT THAT SOME OTHER POOR SOD) then please ask your GP to write to the EUR team and my case will be considered The Individual Funding Panel so that they can reject me as well.

I poured my heart and soul in my appeal letter. I gave them loads of information about how my weight affects my life on a daily basis and the pain I am in bla bla bla. But because I dared to enclose a load of articles I had downloaded all supporting wls and highlighted all the points of interest etc. I think they must have got peed off with me before they even read my letter. In fact, I don't feel they can have read it as they seem to believe I am only questioning their crappy "policy".

I can't tell you how bloody infuriated I feel. I have said more swear words today than you can shake a stick at. They obviously couldn't give a stuff about us personally. They have just picked out the thing that has narked them and sod the real story.

What is wrong with these people ??????????

Do you mind if I ask anyone who has been granted funding this year, did you all have co-morbidities and what BMI you were when you applied.

When you have been accepted on to a Weight Management programme with the exact criteria that entitles you to surgery ( me being BMI 51) how can they turn around at the end of the long road (14 months later after going through all the crappy things I have had to attend with them) and say well actually in the mean time we have changed our criteria and tough tits to you. Surely if you've been accepted then whatever happens in the meantime shouldn't apply to you should it ?

Jane x

What is Stockport surgery critaria?If you meet it bmi wise do you have comorbidities too?If not they are tightening up hugely on funding this year,and they wont be swayed.If you have a health problem that your gp could write to them about then do it as they asked.Dont give up yet.Maz x

Thanks Maz,

I don't have any co-morbs but I didn't need them when I first applied. They just shouldn't be able to change their minds when you've done all the things asked of you. It is grossly unfair.

Jane x

thats awful hun hope your not going to give up go to your gp and see what they can do hun. As you asked i dont know if you just wanted ppl from your area but where im from when i applied for wls my bmi was 40 and no co morb im in the south west hope this helps.

I only have slightly high BP but my funding was approved due to fertility. I am 36 and no children. I was shocked that this could be used to build my case but it definately swung it for me. My Doctor on the WM programme said I wouldnt get funding if I didnt want children. I soooo want a baby but just hadnt realised this could help my case.

Its wrong that its so different everywhere some people get funding quickly without much effore and others are made to jump through hoops. My journey took 3 years. I'm hoping to have my surgery in the next couple of months.

I wish I could help more but sending you lots of good wishes and best of luck x

I gave them loads of information about how my weight affects my life on a daily basis and the pain Im in,

What pain are you in? this could be used as reason "inability to live a full life" i have several co-morb but i also have alot of other illnesses that cause me severe pain and i'm certain that these were considerd! i'm under a differenct pct to you but if you suffer from pain as a direct result of being overweight then it should be considerd x get back to the g.p and explain whats happened and ask him to submit a "exceptional circumstances" letter on your behalf xx hope this helps xx all the best for your journey xx

Thank you everyone so much for your kind words of support. I just still feel so angry at the moment but I will settle down and fight on. I am going to make a double appointment to see a different GP as to one who originally referred me is useless. I am also going to ring PALS tomorrow and get their take on it as I did copy them in to my appeal but asked them to wait until I got my response from the PCT.

Thanks for that link Bruneteandred, its a great help.

I really would love to hear from anyone in any area who has this year got their funding and if they have other illnesses.

I put load of info in my appeals letter about the constant pain I am in but it obviously doesn't matter to them.

I will let you know how I get on

Thanks

Jane xxxxx

The PCT I am under is BMI of 35+ with co morbs and over 40 without. I was told it had now changed, but pals said it hasn't and it will change soon.

It is such a shame finances are meaning peoples lives and their potential happiness and health are being disregarded.

All the best to you xxx

I am under South Birmingham PCT and my funding has not been sorted x

Keep trying hun, dont give up know its hard. I applied in 2009 and got rejected, but have been accepted this year with bmi over 50 and type 1 diabeties and also an auto immune illness which gives me arthritus. Do you have high blood sugar ?

Thanks Fuffs,

Good luck with your funding, hope you get good news

Jane x

Thanks xxx

I really feel for you. I hope you find a way around this. It just seems so unfair :(

when I had my surgery (july 2010) my area its 35 with co morbidities and 40 without. My bmi was 37 and I had several morbidities,Borderline Diabetes, High Cholestrol, Gallstones, High bp, pcos, arthritis, fatty liver.

I don't have any of the co-morbs they require but have loads of other problems which have all been listed in my appeal. I don't have diabetes etc., but it almost makes you wish you had - how awful is that ?????

Hi

According to the BOSPA website your PCTs criteria is:

BMI over 50 or over 40 with severe comorbidities (type 2 diabetes on oral medication or insulin, severe obstructive sleep apnoea or obesity hypoventilation syndrome, obesity related cardiomyopathy, clinically unmanageable hypertension, transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, established coronary heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, a condition that requires surgery at the same time such as cholecystectomy or hernia repair, a condition which needs surgery or complex treatment as soon as possible after bariatric surgery such as hip or knee replacement, the patient is experiencing pain caused by another condition which is aggravated by the patient’s weight, other conditions such as Pickwickian Syndrome). Patients must be over 18.

So I cant understand why they have turned you down, have you tried PALS?

Good luck x

Thank you everyone so much for your kind words of support. I just still feel so angry at the moment but I will settle down and fight on. I am going to make a double appointment to see a different GP as to one who originally referred me is useless. I am also going to ring PALS tomorrow and get their take on it as I did copy them in to my appeal but asked them to wait until I got my response from the PCT.

Thanks for that link Bruneteandred, its a great help.

I really would love to hear from anyone in any area who has this year got their funding and if they have other illnesses.

I put load of info in my appeals letter about the constant pain I am in but it obviously doesn't matter to them.

I will let you know how I get on

Thanks

Jane xxxxx

Hi, I did get my funding approved this year may the 12th, In answer to your question re illnesses this is my portfolio lol
1, idiopathic intracranial hypertension
2, systemic lupus erythematosus
3, patella-femoral arthrits in both knees
4, Fibromyalgia 14/18
5, Polycystic overy syndrome
6, I also have 2 wombs (greedy i know :))
7, Irritable bowel syndrome
8, Depression (on & off) :wave_cry:

so that's me in a nutt shell or a coccanut shell pmsl, hence my user name sicknote, I'm positive that the doc added some of these in to the list of exceptional illnesses that effect my daily mobility, i'm also bmi + 41 under the west kent pct xxx hope this helps in your question xxxx all the best and i really hope you are successfull very soon xx

Hi

According to the BOSPA website your PCTs criteria is:

BMI over 50 or over 40 with severe comorbidities (type 2 diabetes on oral medication or insulin, severe obstructive sleep apnoea or obesity hypoventilation syndrome, obesity related cardiomyopathy, clinically unmanageable hypertension, transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, established coronary heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, a condition that requires surgery at the same time such as cholecystectomy or hernia repair, a condition which needs surgery or complex treatment as soon as possible after bariatric surgery such as hip or knee replacement, the patient is experiencing pain caused by another condition which is aggravated by the patient’s weight, other conditions such as Pickwickian Syndrome). Patients must be over 18.

So I cant understand why they have turned you down, have you tried PALS?

Good luck x

Is there any indication as to how current the BOSPA info is?

It's ridiculous how each area has such vastly different criteria!!

The criteria for my area is BMI of 45 with co-morbidities or 50+ without. I managed to get funding on a BMI of 49.2 with sleep apnea, history of depression, history of asthma (bit of a joke really because i grew out of it years ago but the dr put it down not me!) and the fact that i'd had to have my gallbladder removed 2 years ago, totally irrelevant in my opinion but it seemed to help somehow!!

H x

Back