• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

returning to driving and work post op

mp604

Hi guys

I had my gastic band fitted yesterday and was discharged an hour ago and now got myself worried as the nurses said i shouldn't be lifting my bag to change trains, shouldn't drive for 2wks and have a few wks off work! In all my research and prep i kept getting told a week of work should be fine.

I'm meant to be driving back south a wk tomorrow (5hr drive) and back to work the day after and its a physically tiring job in a hospital, scared and worried now, cant afford to have more sick leave from work :S i dont know what to do :( has anyone reading this had the band and been driving and working a week later? x

Hi

I took a week off work and was back at my desk 7 days after the op. I was driving again after 5 days but didn't lift anything for 2 weeks following my provider's guidance (plus you're not insured to drive if you ignore doctor's rules). I have a pretty sedentary job so it can be done but I know of others who have had more time off work. We'll all be different.

I'd get someone to help you at the station with your bags - check on the national rail website to see how they help people with additional assistance requirements?

Jo

I was told after my surgery not to drive for 3-4 days. (This can also depend on your car insurance so you should check with them too) so if they are ok for you to drive you should be able to. I drove on the 4th day post surgery as I had to get my son somewhere and was ok.

I was also told a week off work, as it was I had longer because it was school hols and I had the time booked off, but even in my booklet from my provider it says 1 week. 2 weeks if it is a job which required lifting.

When I initially enquired about travelling by train and if I could or would be ok, the told me that yes I would be ok to return by train but may find some discomfort, and to use a wheeled bag to avoid lifting just in case. As it was I had a lift, but they do advise to avoid lifting for a couple of weeks.

When I had my band fitted I was told to take it easy and can drive once my staples were out which was 10 days after my op I went back to work after a week got my wife to take me in but lifting was told to take it easy for the first 3 weeks

Everyone is different. I had 2 weeks off work and needed it, was very sore on port incision as it opened after op and took more healing. Didn't drive till 11 days post op.

But on the other hand someone who I met on here had band the same day and they were driving 3 days after x

Just listen to your own body x

can work help by giving you light duties??? maybe worth asking, hope all goes well. xxx

Hi im a nurse and was back after 8 days my job is demanding so i was nervous about going back but it was ok. I told them all that i couldnt lift and they were fine. Your side bar says that you have had a sleeve i think that would require alot longer x

Yeah sorry i was originally considering a sleeve and now can't seem to edit my profile to change it. Thanks for the advice everyone, i'll see how this week off goes and then maybe speak to my manager when i return to work about attempting to take it easy

Mp, On the green tool bar (if you access the site via the internet) you will find User CP which is handy for getting into your profile to edit your signature, add an avatar or change your profile in some way. User CP is also where you go to add your weight tracker in your signature. :)

Back