• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass Returning to gym

Paula1975

Hi,

When's best to return to gym/exercise after surgery ?

Also .... How do I put this?? ...... When can you return to intimate side of things? Lol

At my pre op the nurse practitioner said light exercise only for first 6 weeks, she even said not to do my Pilates class.

Wondered when someone would ask re intimacy lol

THink I was about 6 months post op before going back into the gym did lot of cardio then gradually built up to some weights, started running, hurt knee doc said jus walk, so 2 weeks jus walking and back to gym today no treadmill, cross trainer, rower, weights n shaker plate, had an hour nice shower at home n then daily duties at home i ma on my school holidays. wohoo xx

Tbh sex doesnt really worry me can take it or leave it have been goin through the menopause for nearly 10 yrs now and have little or no drive in that dept. hasn't altered our relationship though. It isn't the b all and end all. x

I was told by my GP that it should be 12 weeks before resuming hard exercise though walking or tother gentle exercise from 6 weeks if everything felt ok. As for sex, well I would expect the official line would be whenever you feel ready. Probably best to wait until any stitches are out and avoid chandelier swinging in the early weeks but after that just go with the flow.

I went swimming/water workouts 6 weeks after sleeve op. stitches out after 10 days & scars healed. I'm now over 5 months post op I've been at gym for last 2 months - aerobics & circuit training. I even started gentle running a few weeks ago & I've not ran since 1987 LOL

Back