• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Who goes to the gym

LOL Your only a baby Bobo!!! I have 18 years on you so am expecting ultra sags. Actually the thought of the boobs isn't worrying me, I laugh that I will roll them up and stuff them in my bra. The things that are worrying me are the tops of the legs, bum, tummy area.

I have had two classes of Tai Chi (with the pensioners of the village - I am the baby there LOL ) It is soooooo Slow though, but I guess it must do some good.

Morning !! i wasnt worried about my legs but they seem to be the worst !! my tummy was always the biggest but that seems to be going down nicely and i can hide it with good knickers , iv always said as long as i can tuck it in i wont have a tummy tuck lol xx

I'm pondering the gym again, but for now I swim a mile a day and do legs/ bums/tums, zumba and step once each. Love it, but always have. Was very sporty at school but lost my way in my twenties and then in and off been too big and embarrassed since! Swimming has helped hugely, esp bingo wings!!

If you want to make the most of your honeymoon period then exercise is an essential element. You need to make the changes to your lifestyle that will bring about long term success and as well as a healthy diet, exercise is key to that success.

You also want to lose fat but not your lean body mass. You need to protect your muscles and the only way to do that is with resistance exercise. The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism, the faster your metabolism the more calories you need to eat to maintain your weight, the less chance there is of regaining weight. You turn into a calorie burning furnace.

So a combination of cardiovascular and resistance exercise is the very best way of maximising your weight loss, and then keeping it off forever.

I was always keen on playing sport as a boy, then in my late twenties I took to road running and weight lifting and did this for five years. I was a real gym rat back then. Now I can work out again I absolutely love it. I train six times a week three cardio spin classes and three resistance sessions.

You should find a routine that you like and enjoy. One that you will keep at, then do it often, at least three times a week. Good luck

Thanks for your time Karlos - wanna move to Cornwall and be a personal trainer?!

I asked on another post what spinning was - just looked it up on google - and its nothing like I imagined - no dizziness in sight LOL

Will my wii be any good - I live in the back of beyond and can't see me going into a gym.
I don't mind the boxing and steps. The resistance maybe a problem at home?

I have been doing Tai Chi for two weeks, but that is so slow I think I am dead sometimes. (Doing a class with OAP's)

i had my first assesment at the gym on sunday - my first propper sweaty session is wednesday - i think ill enjoy it once i get into it - im very excited about going actually! ive never been a sporty person - at school i was always faking notes from mum so i didnt have to do P.E, lol coz all the other kids used to laugh at me wobbling all over, lol

Thanks for your time Karlos - wanna move to Cornwall and be a personal trainer?!

I asked on another post what spinning was - just looked it up on google - and its nothing like I imagined - no dizziness in sight LOL

Will my wii be any good - I live in the back of beyond and can't see me going into a gym.
I don't mind the boxing and steps. The resistance maybe a problem at home?

I have been doing Tai Chi for two weeks, but that is so slow I think I am dead sometimes. (Doing a class with OAP's)

The Wii is as good as all home based exercise is in that it is only of any use if you actually use it. There are more exercise bikes and rowing machines with clothes flung over them than anything else in the UK :D

Tai Chi performed correctly is fantastic exercise and builds both suppleness balance and strength. The weight doesn't have to be very high to give you a trained effect. You could get some dumbbells at home and use those at first.

The gym is the best place because the equipment is usually good and just being there motivates you to do better once you get there, though a few of my mates seem to think that just having gym membership alone will make them get fit, they don't realize you actually have to drag your arse there as well LOL :D:D

Can I but in and add a question - Please?!!

All you folks who are loving the gym, were you active / sporty / whatever, when you were younger or before the weight piled on? Or have you become gym bunnies only since your opps?.

The only ever time I've rode a bike before was when I was a teenager!

How long should you wait before starting the gym - I`m now 8 weeks post op would this be ok? I`m also going to a zumba class tomorrow

Im doing the Active Lifestyle referral scheme,your gp refers you for weight/diet help at your local gym.It lasts 12 weeks I think,after that I could take advantage of half price membership.Swimming,sauna,gym etc.I have never exercised and Im getting on so need all the help and expertise from a trainer which you get.As Karlos said you have to make the most of this time and actually get off your backside and move!I dont swim but hubby said he will come with me,got a cozzy.Only thing worrying me is how do you get from changing room into the water without anyone seeing me!Might go at 7am! Maz x

Penguina, I liked things like field sport, netball, basket ball and trampoling when I was at school. In my teen years I did Judo and Akaedo. I have never really been a gym person and have never enjoyed it. However, I have enjoyed dancing and other types of exercise.

Tickety Boo, it might be worth you talking to your GP or trainer. The trainer would know how much you can or can't do following your op. If you're going to Zumba make sure that you take plenty of water with you and keep on having sips throughout the class as you will lose a lot of fluid.

Rebirthxx

I want to ask a question, is it right decision to go the gym for exercise after weight loss surgery?

Absolutely Genifer but only once your PCP has cleared you for exercise.

I think exercise has been a huge help to me. Everyone who sees me cannot believe I have ever been overweight (actually morbidly obese) as I have very little excess skin and I am rather solid right now and people comment on how fit I am. Though that still shocks me.

Can I but in and add a question - Please?!!

All you folks who are loving the gym, were you active / sporty / whatever, when you were younger or before the weight piled on? Or have you become gym bunnies only since your opps?

I just ask as I was never sporty - I could sit in a playpen for hours quite happily - so I can't see me turning into a sporty person....

I was NEVER ever sporty as a child and as an adult would do anything to avoid walking anywhere.

I would not say I am a gym bunny at the moment but defintely feel that I could become one as I love the gym. I love how I feel and I love the fact that I can work out (at my speed and my program) as I never could before.

Hi all

As the title says - who goes to the gym?

Do you enjoy it or find it a chore?

Do you think it helps with your weight loss after surgery?

I`m thinking of re-joining.

I love going to the gym and would actually like to have more time to go more often and I am working on my diary to fit it in more.

I think it is important to chose the right gym and I would recommend you utilise the free day passes to see which gym you feel the most comfortable in and that one that suits your needs

wow...i can actually feel the motivation streaming through my body, it's a shame i can't even walk a couple of streets away to get to work. One day though eh. What exercise would you recommend i try once i've had my op and are ready to start moving?. Walking is too difficult and suspect it might be a while before it gets easier x

wow...i can actually feel the motivation streaming through my body, it's a shame i can't even walk a couple of streets away to get to work. One day though eh. What exercise would you recommend i try once i've had my op and are ready to start moving?. Walking is too difficult and suspect it might be a while before it gets easier x

Water aerobics is a good gentle start

I think getting into a routine with the gym is well worth it. In my opinion you always feel mentally better after a workout, it's just hard at the beginning.

gym is a good de stresser...annoyingly im starving after i leave the gym!!

I've got my GP referral for exercise and gonna start week after next when I'm back from my short break. I'm really looking forward to it and hoping I get addicted!

The gym I'm going to go to has lots of resistance machines (whatever they are!)
I was never sporty in my youth (or since) but always loved dancing.

I'm hoping to tone and increase muscle bulk. (as well as lose bingo wings etc) My muscles are badly de-conditoned from M.E.

Back