• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

I wanna see it!!! But think I'll wait for the crowds to disperse first, Mary Poppins at theatre this week!

Sam - what are the tips for bingo wings? I've lost just under (by 1lb) 5st and my arms are so noticeable already!

I wanna see it!!! But think I'll wait for the crowds to disperse first, Mary Poppins at theatre this week!

Sam - what are the tips for bingo wings? I've lost just under (by 1lb) 5st and my arms are so noticeable already!
I was given a series of exercises by my pool physio to do in water using flat floats for resistance and stability. Some are similar to breast stroke and others are similar to the actions used in aqua aerobics. I used to go to aqua aerobics as well as hydro, but my knee no longer lets me do the former. It is a good way of building muscle though. my arms were very muscly pre-op because of my exercise in the pool and a nurse commented on this when she tried to stick the Tinzaparin needle in. However, two months away from the pool plus the weight loss and they had gone all saggy. :( Need to work on tightening them up again. Have been back at pool for three weeks now and can already start to see a difference just from the swimming. :)

I was given a series of exercises by my pool physio to do in water using flat floats for resistance and stability. Some are similar to breast stroke and others are similar to the actions used in aqua aerobics. I used to go to aqua aerobics as well as hydro, but my knee no longer lets me do the former. It is a good way of building muscle though. my arms were very muscly pre-op because of my exercise in the pool and a nurse commented on this when she tried to stick the Tinzaparin needle in. However, two months away from the pool plus the weight loss and they had gone all saggy. :( Need to work on tightening them up again. Have been back at pool for three weeks now and can already start to see a difference just from the swimming. :)
Thanks @SAM55 I will definitely give this a go, got a float at home to use. Won't be going for a few months as pool shuts December - March. I may be brave enough to wear a swimsuit then. I would love your muscle arms:)

Managed a two mile walk with a friend on Friday. She didn't tell me how far I was going, only where we were starting and I thought it would be about a mile! Sore knees afterwards but enjoyed the fresh air and views. :)

What with that and my workout at the pool earlier in the week, I thought I was in for a good loss this week. No! The scales had barely shifted, .1 of kg. :(

Still chugging away with my OU and need to be finished by Thursday lunchtime. Feel it is starting to come together at last, but have the dreaded referencing to do today. :( :(:( .

Constipation has been a problem again this week, whereas I thought I had the upper hand with it now.

Have been thinking about Christmas Day. Usually I go to our local Community Lunch but not fancying that this year as there is so much food involved. One it could be tempting, and two, I don't want people I barely know making any comments on my small portions.

Good luck with the referencing! I always hated that part. Good that you are nearly there with it all though.

Well done on the walk too, that is good going.

I am unsure about Christmas too - I have two work meals that I don't know how to deal with - they don't know my op was WLS!

Well done on your walk Sam. Did you prefer not knowing how far it was you were going? I find it pushes you a little further. Hoping your knees are feeling a little better today. A loss is still a loss and I'm sure once the bm sort themselves out it will shift more than expected :D. You're doing really well. Hope you decide what to do for Christmas a scary how close it is now x

I hate referencing too but it means the end is in sight and well done on the walk too.
Sorry the numbers aren't quite where you want them to be but hopefully you'll have a bigger drop soon and it will help you feel a bit better. You're certainly working hard enough :)

I must be odd, because I used to enjoy referencing. I always made sure that when I added a new source, that it was in the reference list. At the end, I went through the essay and wrote each name and year down and then marked off how many times I'd used that resource. Of course, when I edited the essay, some sources disappeared all together and once I'd finished this list, I could then remove them from the list. I could also see if I'd relied on one resource more than I should of and also if I'd useda good spread of books/journals/research etc. I used to enjoy finishing an essay this way, found it really relaxing and cathartic !

I must be odd, because I used to enjoy referencing. I always made sure that when I added a new source, that it was in the reference list. At the end, I went through the essay and wrote each name and year down and then marked off how many times I'd used that resource. Of course, when I edited the essay, some sources disappeared all together and once I'd finished this list, I could then remove them from the list. I could also see if I'd relied on one resource more than I should of and also if I'd useda good spread of books/journals/research etc. I used to enjoy finishing an essay this way, found it really relaxing and cathartic !
I used to enjoy it too at my last uni where we used standard Harvard. Always got top marks! It has since become a challenge, particularly when struggling with deadlines due to big life issues, and... I am now with the OU, and they use OU Harvard!! Some very slight differences that my poor brain gets confused about :) Also have had to reference confidential internal documents for the first time and they are not in OU Harvard!! How to do it is on the website somewhere as I saw it in my first week, but could I find it??????

Tried their library 24/7 chat room and got a librarian in South Carolina as OU is only available M-F office hours!! She had lots of Harvard versions but not the OU!!!:rant:When do most people doing OU study? evenings and weekends :banghead:

I find it easier to learn something new than to try and relearn a different way. Had the same problem when I sang folk songs in a choir. Folk songs are notorious for having a slightly different version depending on who sang it, and what part of the country, and because they were in the oral tradition.

Well done on your walk Sam. Did you prefer not knowing how far it was you were going? I find it pushes you a little further. Hoping your knees are feeling a little better today. A loss is still a loss and I'm sure once the bm sort themselves out it will shift more than expected :D. You're doing really well. Hope you decide what to do for Christmas a scary how close it is now x
Thanks Starry. It was certainly an event! I am 50/50 about knowing the length of the walk. I want some idea so I have a picture in my head (being a very visual person) to calm my anxiety, but had i known it was 2 miles instead of the mile i was expecting then I would have refused. Sometimes I need to be gently surprised and pushed.

Forgot the constipation would make a difference to my weight loss this week (duh). Feel better about it now. :) BM today - the first in five days despite all the laxatives, including the Movicol, but can't risk another one of those tonight as swimming tomorrow. Seeing hospital dietitian on Wed for first time since op. so something needs to happen soon :sick0019:

Boy, did my stomach muscles ache after hydro this morning! Was really sore this afternoon, not helped by my knee and back aching from moving furniture yesterday...

Was looking forward to my stewed steak for tea courtesy of a visit by Mr Tesco this afternoon which i have been looking forward to for days, when the power went off at 4.50pm due to very high winds and didn't come back on until after 7. Fortunately I had made a peanut butter and banana smoothie this afternoon which was in the fridge, but it wasn't the same. :( Was very naughty as as soon as the power came back on I also had some stewed steak as I was so hungry. I blame the exercise this morning ;) :1461: It is and has been my food of craving since I went onto solids, so am guessing there must be something in there my body needs... Will be glad when I am allowed to get my bloods done at the end of the month so I can see what my iron and vitamin minerals are doing:confused:

I have some lovely friends - tonight at a business group I belong to we were discussing our December meeting where we usually just have a social event. In the past we have had a formal meal, or we have had a Jacob's Join. We all prefer the eating out option as it is more relaxed, but someone suggested we went to a very nice garden centre cafe so that I didn't feel left out or conspicuous with what everyone else was eating.

The same one was also telling me about a walk she went on the other day that she thought i might like to do on a Tramper if it was possible (we have 'Tramped' before) and when I found out the distance (2 miles) I said I would be up for giving it a go with my rollator having done 2 miles last week (unknowingly), so we are going to arrange a date in January subject to weather. A plus is that the cafe at the foot of the walk (in one of my favourite locations) does Horlicks. Now that is motivation :whacky068:

Also bought myself a non Fitbit, fitbit which arrived today. A waterproof one that I can swim in. Just need to work out how to use it!!

Saw Attila the Hun today for the first time since op. I am wrong, my GP is wrong, and she is right, and if a letter was typed on the 6th November then my GP should have it (he hadn't when I saw him on Friday)!! Apparently we are wasting NHS money on blood tests at 3 months. He wants to check my B12 before i have an injection. She says i have to have it as a prophylactic. Also made to feel stupid for asking a question she didn't know the answer to about why do I feel more hungry when constipated. I am not eating enough carbs apparrently... Was I eating bread and pasta? My diet book tells me not to eat it as it will swell up!

Its not the first time she has had me in tears and I have to put up with this for another two years :mad: Have to go back in two months to be weighed again. January, possibly snow and ice or floods, and an 84 mile round trip, and appalling parking. Oh joy.

Nice doctor congratulated me on my 27kg loss since surgery which he said was a lot :) He also thought i should be having bloods done.

Is that the dietician? She sounds lovely!!!!

Next time you see her . Imagine her looking like Miss Trunchbulll out of Matilda ! With a really nice big huge ugly old mole on her face ! Then you will be ok .. xxx

I'd talk to your lovely doctor about the way you are being treated or contact PALs and either way ask to see someone else. You don't deserve to be spoken to like that and you don't need to put up with it either. You are working really hard and doing really well and you need support, to be able to ask questions and not feel like you are stupid. You are not stupid and I was told exactly the same about bread and pasta for the record. You are trying to change your life here and you are working hard not just expecting it to happen. You are an engaged and responsive patient and doing everything your team expects of you and in return you expect to be helped.
I had a very difficult appointment myself last week which reduced me to tears (very unusual) because of the way I was treated. I will not be seeing that consultant again, we both deserve to be treated with respect and kindness x

I'd talk to your lovely doctor about the way you are being treated or contact PALs and either way ask to see someone else. You don't deserve to be spoken to like that and you don't need to put up with it either. You are working really hard and doing really well and you need support, to be able to ask questions and not feel like you are stupid. You are not stupid and I was told exactly the same about bread and pasta for the record. You are trying to change your life here and you are working hard not just expecting it to happen. You are an engaged and responsive patient and doing everything your team expects of you and in return you expect to be helped.
I had a very difficult appointment myself last week which reduced me to tears (very unusual) because of the way I was treated. I will not be seeing that consultant again, we both deserve to be treated with respect and kindness x
Thanks Fee for helping me not to feel alone. :) I am sorry though that you had a difficult appointment too. The lovely Dr I saw yesterday told me he doesn't need to see me again so I now only have ATH. The problem is that ATH is the co-ordinator so any requests for a change have to go through her. I am going to leave it for now as it won't be until after Christmas, and will speak to my GP when I see him in December for my regular check up so I can get some moral support.

Finally submitted my OU assessment with 45 minutes to spare so I am giving myself a clap :0clapper::p

Off to celebrate with an early lunch of crispy crackers and peanut butter, as breakfast was incredibly early this morning!

I even managed two BM's in the past 24 hours ;)

Back