• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Well you are just winning at life today! :D Well done on both submitting the assignment and having excellently working bowels lol ;) I'll throw in some :banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer: big boob bananas to go with your lunch :) x

Well done on the assignment!!!
:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Well, another BM today as I have upped my carbs since Wednesday! It will be interesting to see whether it effects my weekly weigh-in tomorrow...

Decided to walk to the swimming pool this afternoon (about a mile) where I swam for 20 minutes, and then walked back the long way round by the river as it was a glorious day. Stopped off for a cup of tea. Knee very swollen now. Roll on Monday when I get my steroid injection.

Received in today's post all the letters from hospital dietitian since op. about vits and injections plus our telephone conversations so I can show them to my GP as they don't seem to be on the system!!

Ordered some purple jeans from Cotton Traders which arrived today. Size 24. I can just about do them up so hopefully will fit more comfortably when i go away at Christmas. They have a slightly adjustable waist so hopefully will last a bit longer... The best bit is that I won't need to take them up! I have two pairs of Evan jeans, also 24 the denim ones I usually buy, waiting for the needle and thread, and two pairs of joggers size 20 that are also too long. I hate being a short-ass :(

Yep me too! Still wearing work trousers that are too big because I haven't got around to taking the smaller sizes up! I have to take up the short lengths! Gets annoying!

Snap - I'm a short arse too!

Well, another drop on the scales this morning, so the extra carbs haven't done any damage :)

I use to love cotton traders jeans..having a big bum and hips back then they were a perfect fit! Lasted years too!!

Well done on another loss @SAM55 x

Walked to doctor's again yesterday to have a steroid injection in my knee. Normally works ok and i was looking forward to being pain free for a while, particularly at night. It doesn't hurt when i have it (no doctor can understand why, and some insist on putting a local in first) and normally works within 24 hours. This time he just managed to nick a vein so I had a bruise and last night it was all swollen and painful so poor nights sleep. :( Ended up doing two hours work. I walked again today into town as it was lovely and sunny and I wanted to get away from my desk. Walking is pretty ok pain wise, and it is better if i keep it moving, but swollen again tonight so sitting with an ice pack on it having been to Booths to get some ice and some Horlicks.

Was looking for something different to eat and came home with a tin of haggis and some reduced spicy potatoes and squash which I will cook and blitz down for soup with Marvel. Has anyone tried haggis post op?With all this exercise :whacky068: and more BM's I was starving by 4.30 pm so had dinner early and bolted it down. Need to up the snacks when exercising. Just waiting now for 30 minutes post Horlicks and then I will have a snack and go to bed hoping I will get some sleep until the morning and no pain or hunger during the night:character00254:

Tomorrow I have my bloods done to see what vits, minerals and iron levels are. Results on the 16th. Gave GP copy of hospital letters and he has agreed now about 3 monthly B12's as "they are the experts". Didn't have the heart to tell him how much conflicting advice 'the experts' give to us lot on here! He did agree though that it was worth getting it checked first before the injection was done so we knew what the baseline was.

Was also told yesterday that I had been given wrong info about being discharged as a diabetic if levels are normal in three months time. Apparently the diagnosis is for life and I will continue to have blood, eye and foot tests. At least I will get free flu injections for another 4 years until I am 65 ;).

Trying to decide whether I go for hydrotherapy tomorrow or whether it will make my knee worse :confused: Missing friends i haven't seen for a while but also my 'to do' list is as long as my arm and pain + lack of sleep as well as people adding to it today haven't helped. :( :mad:o_O

Also had a meeting with someone today who can advocate for me on the awful waiting list for therapy (191 of 260) that I mentioned the other week. Whether it will make any difference who knows, but I feel I am doing something about it, and not having to do it myself.

Sounds like you are going through it Sam! Well done on all the walking even with a painful knee! Sorry that it is bruised and swollen, hopefully it will settle down soon and you will feel the benefit.

Good news on the blood tests and the b12 jab. No b12 for me as my levels were fine when it was tested.

I have snacks, usually nuts - I do my own mix - or apple and peanut butter or a cereal bar. The nuts help me avoid constipation too!

Hope the person is able to help with the therapy, seems silly to have such a wait for something like that!

What a difference a good night's sleep can make :) Was asleep by 9pm and other than getting up once to the loo I slept until 8am. Went to sleep with ice pack on knee and a cushion between them having taken arnica and ibuprofen, plus covered in Freezegell. It seems to have done the trick as wasn't swollen when I got up. Decided I would do the hydrotherapy and made sure I was very careful with that knee. Fortunately most of this week's exercises were arm and core which is what I need at the moment. So far, so good... Note to self, don't try the leg movements for breaststroke again!! Someone who has had a knee replacement said she had been told you shouldn't do breaststroke legs when you have had a replacement, which was interesting and useful to know.

Brain also functioning better today so managed to complete some of the actions on my 'to do' list, achieve something that I thought would take days to complete as waiting on others, have blood tests, go to community cafe for natter and network, study mentoring session, plus online tutorial... Blood pressure was high so need to increase pills short term and am on waiting list to borrow a blood pressure monitor for a week (hopefully before I see GP on 16th!) so can check what is happening each day in relation to how many Lisinorpil i take as he reduced me from 2 to 1 as blood pressure had dropped first few weeks after op.

Tried the pureed spicy potato and squash and added a Babybel as well as the Marvel to get some protein. It wasn't very spicy as i threw away the little carton of spice as it was oily. Another BM so have risked a scrambled egg tonight.

Walking again with friend tomorrow lunchtime - will be interesting to see how far she takes me this time! We are both attending a workshop at 3 so there will be limits :D

The scrambled egg sat heavy so need to try a different mode of egg.

Did a good walk again today but neither of our trackers recorded correctly (I am still trying to work out how mine works) so no figures, but similar to last Friday's and a similar route so about 2 and a bit miles. I took the lead this time as to where we were going. :) Knees were really stiff afterwards so have got the ice pack out again. I then went to a workshop and was starving when i got back, despite a protein shake in between and dinner time was at 4.30!

Had a text to say B12 is looking normal so won't rush to get appointment for jab in next few days as diary is silly and i have had enough of needles this week, but will get it done before Christmas.

Well done @SAM55 getting your work in phewie 45 mins!

I put some grated cheddar cheese into the beaten egg for scrambled egg. It makes it a bit looser/sloppier and my pouch was fine with that. Tastes good too!

Have you tried poached?
I love poached eggs but am hopeless at cooking them! Have tried all sorts of gadgets including a microwave one, but they either fall apart to nothing, get stuck or go too hard. :( Have already tried hard boiled with mayo a few weeks ago, and am going to try boiled when my head is in a place to not forget I have a saucepan on the hob. I have an attention span of a knat when it comes to waiting for food to cook, so have ended up with many burnt saucepans :( and bells and buzzers rarely seem to work with me either!!

Back