• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Experimented today with tinned haggis, the remains of the pureed potato and squash, pea protein and some gravy. So far so good other than the wind... Hope so as there are more portions in the fridge/freezer... Have also blended some peanut butter and banana smoothie to get me through the weekend.

Very short stroll today to the post office as time has been spent at the computer catching up before the weekend. Hopefully will get a stretch over the weekend as the weather forecast is still for good walking weather for a few more days, between studying and some further work that I didn't get done this week, plus having to turn up yet more trousers, or in the case of the joggers that were getting too big so went in the tumble dryer, turning them down...

OU results back now and have done ok, very well considering I started 4 weeks post op, so feeling more motivated to crack on with the next...

Sent parcel to New Zealand, so fingers crossed everything gets there and in one piece. May also start writing some Christmas cards if the mood takes me.
I put some grated cheddar cheese into the beaten egg for scrambled egg. It makes it a bit looser/sloppier and my pouch was fine with that. Tastes good too!
Will try that Hannah thanks. I have put a bag of grated cheese on my Tesco order for Tuesday.

Wow well done you! :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Well, having woken up feeling really blue after a bad night, it hasn't improved during the day and in fact have gone downhill and have not done any of the things I planned to do, or anything really other than doss :( Not helped by the weather which has been cloudy all day. Pigged out on semolina as well as having lunch and various other things. It hurts but at least I can feel something! Hoping I will get a better night's sleep and tomorrow I will feel better...

I hope today has been better than yesterday?
Well done on your loss and passing the latest part of your course. You've had a lot to contend with and have kept going even when it's been very tough. You have every right to be very proud of yourself x

Yum haggis. I miss haggis but even if I could find gluten free it'd never match my grannies with tatties and neeps :)

I hope today has been better than yesterday?
Well done on your loss and passing the latest part of your course. You've had a lot to contend with and have kept going even when it's been very tough. You have every right to be very proud of yourself x

Yum haggis. I miss haggis but even if I could find gluten free it'd never match my grannies with tatties and neeps :)

Thank Fee, it is nice to have someone saying well done instead of pushing me to do more. :)
yes today has been better thanks :) Slept better and probably benefited from doing nothing yesterday although I didn't enjoy it. Managed to catch up on couple of 'not looking forward to tasks' that kept slipping down the 'to do' list (I hate writing policies), a little bit of shopping (non food) and a walk by the river as the sun was shining, plus wrote some Christmas cards. I hate going down the black hole for too long, in case I can't get out again. :(

Have decided the haggis needs to be occasional and with more gravy, rather than two days running (lots in the freezer now - who knew how much there was in a tin!!) as it did get a bit stuck after the second time. Yummy though and there was squash and tatties. :) Grannies food is always best - bacon suet pudding, spotted dick, tripe and onions, pancakes... No wonder I was a big girl!! x

My other granny used to make the most amazing beef pie, ice cream sandwiches and give us rhubarb sticks and sugar to dip them in. It's a wonder I have any teeth left! A lot of my memories of both are food related funnily enough, I think it's how their generation showed love definitely.

And you absolutely deserve some praise for all that you're doing x

@SAM55 did you say ice cream sandwiches? Lol:D never heard of them before!
Well done on your weight loss and fantastic news re coursework!

@SAM55 oookkkkk! Now I am :eek::D
I won't ask how ;) but still want you to spill :D

Thank Fee, it is nice to have someone saying well done instead of pushing me to do more. :)
yes today has been better thanks :) Slept better and probably benefited from doing nothing yesterday although I didn't enjoy it. Managed to catch up on couple of 'not looking forward to tasks' that kept slipping down the 'to do' list (I hate writing policies), a little bit of shopping (non food) and a walk by the river as the sun was shining, plus wrote some Christmas cards. I hate going down the black hole for too long, in case I can't get out again. :(

Have decided the haggis needs to be occasional and with more gravy, rather than two days running (lots in the freezer now - who knew how much there was in a tin!!) as it did get a bit stuck after the second time. Yummy though and there was squash and tatties. :) Grannies food is always best - bacon suet pudding, spotted dick, tripe and onions, pancakes... No wonder I was a big girl!! x
Looks like you know the warning signs and can catch yourself before going too far down the hole as you say - that is not an easy thing to do so well done on that front and on all the hard work you've put in so far. The sugar thing is like the smoking isn't it, was so promoted at one point and even though we now know better but it's till hard to resist...

Ice cream sandwiches where a brick of ice cream between 2 waffers. Brain freeze was inevitable.
I've heard of condensed milk sandwiches but never had one :)

Forget condensed milk sandwiches, I used to sneak condensed milk and eat it with a spoon! Some of Mum's recipies used 1/2 tin condensed milk and she would freeze the other half of the tin in an old cottage cheese pot - lets just say that usually there would only be a 1/4 tin left when she went to use it again and bless her she never worked out why her caramel didn't set properly :angeldevil:

I also used to be given rhubarb sticks and a bowl of sugar by my Nana!!!! Forgotten that!!!

Another work out at the pool today. We use lots of different aids and they have just purchased some foam dumbbells. Just what I need for my bingo wings and the resistance is great, much better than dog bones or one eyes smiley faces. :) Have been thinking about purchasing some ordinary dumbbells but have no idea what weight to get. Any suggestions from anyone please?

Ordered some fresh lean mince from Tesco and have had a go at a cheesy shepherds pie. Lots of faff, and even lots more washing up!! Was it better than the tinned mince? Not a lot, and very little space in my freezer for the extra portions which is only an under counter fridge freezer and it is full of ice cubes for my knee!

Partly motivated as my elderly cat is a bit under the weather and the advice was to up his protein as well as given him a nutritional supplement. As if I didn't have enough food/vitamin things to think about... particularly as he can only have the vits every other day. He was fine with the vits on tinned food, he was fine with the fresh mince, but put the two together and he has turned his nose up - grrrrhhh. Also need to make sure my other cat who is perfectly healthy doesn't come in and eat it and get the taste for fresh meat otherwise life will be a misery :( :(

It was the first anniversary of a bereavement yesterday which has been playing havoc with my emotions anyway for a week or so now, but other than extra Horlicks, and peanut butter in my smoothies, i have not succumbed to any other comfort food. :) There have been a few times though when I could have really murdered a Baileys!!

I also now have the option of joining the Christmas Day Community Lunch after everyone else has eaten for games and presents, so I don't feel like a sore thumb or face too many temptations. Only mince pies, which I can ignore and Christmas cake which will be harder as I love fruit cake and marzipan, but usually need a drink with it to wash it down.

Have placed my order for a Christmas lunch on Monday. A halloumi small plate. Was going to try the nachos as they would have lasted longer whilst everyone else was eating, but wasn't sure if they would get stuck!

Also toying with the idea of whether or not to go to my hydro Christmas lunch on the 21st which is a set 2/3 course meal (with no other options as we are a big party) and lots of roast potatoes and veg in bowls on the table. Fancy the roast beef. I could ignore the roast potatoes I think, but the Yorkshire pudding would be another matter... Also do I want to pay £13 for the pleasure???? Think I will wait until Monday is over to see how I get on watching other people eat and fielding the comments. They all know about the surgery, but a couple do overdo them. :(

Well done on your workout and for also dealing with a difficult anniversary without going to food to deal with your emotions x

Sam you're doing fantastically well and sounds like you've a lot to deal with too. I didn't go to my Christmas do as I wouldn't be able to eat anything and it was just awkward!

Did lots of Christmas shopping yesterday, and walked round Aldi, Tesco, B&M and M&S, so that was my exercise for the day. Did my knees know it last night! :( Looked at all the Christmas food in M&S and can't say anything really grabbed me. All I could think about was the jars of peanut butter I bought in Aldi ;)

Cooked some fresh mince tonight to the usual texture i like, which is firmer than what you get in a tin. It was difficult going down and quite painful and i had to take lots of deep breaths. Thought I might be sick for the first time! Back to the tinned stuff...

Also tried turkey rashers - not very impressed so won't get them again when they have gone. Bacon medallions coming tomorrow...

First Christmas lunch too tomorrow - halloumi with sweet chilli sauce and rocket. I have only had halloumi once before at someone's house, it was ok, so hoping tomorrow will be more exciting as I have seen a lot of people on here having and enjoying it.

Taking in more fluid since I tried Capri Sun orange flavour NAS and no sweeteners. Taste buds have definitely changed and much prefer sour flavours. Have been adding a squirt of lemon to my morning hot water. Good for detoxing the liver. :)

Really craving a proper curry so may treat myself to one on Christmas Eve and have the rest for Christmas Day.

Back