• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Thanks. Sorry Christmas is a challenge for you too. :( I could cope if it was one or two days but it has been going on for weeks!! Will hopefully be ok once it is here and will spend the day watching TV, packing for going away the next day, Skyping my daughter in NZ, a walk if the weather isn't too awful and resting ready for a long journey. I have some special hummus and some caviar as my treats on the day, and am allowing myself a mini Baileys on Christmas eve. I have also found some virtually sugar free plain chocolate in Tesco for if I am desperate. Not a lover of much plain chocolate, so won't want the whole bar anyway.

Weight loss and vit and mineral levels have been good since op so a slight blip in my eating as long as i am managing what I put in my mouth, rather than it going in uncontrollably is ok in my book.

I felt a bit uncomfortable after the chocolate plus some thins and peanut butter so took some Lactulose, which did the trick. :)
I wish you a happy Christmas and well done for getting back on track. This is a challenging time of year for some many people and it has been going on for ever!!

Had my nicest meal out today of lunch with a friend who also has dietary issues and is on the totally opposite end of the spectrum to me. She used to eat a lot less than me, but she managed more than me today. :) We both decided to have the salmon fillet in grape sauce. It came with mash, carrots, red cabbage, and parsnips. . Fortunately the veggies were in a separate bowl and the portion of mash wasn't very big so I wasn't overfaced. Had no desire for any of the cakes or the puddings as I was too full up but would have loved to have finished the veg, which is so not me!. Managed all the salmon, a couple of spoons of cabbage, a slice of carrot, a couple of pieces of parsnip and a mouthful of mash. It helped there was sauce to make it go down easier. Feel like I have had my Christmas dinner now as on my own tomorrow with some hummus and smoked salmon nibbles. We had planned a walk too to a local beauty spot that I had previously only been able to manage on a scooter but the weather was just too disgusting and muddy after Storm Barbara. :(

Tonight I had five smoked salmon nibbles and a few veggie crisps. Have had about half a miniature Baileys sipped over 2 hours and interspersed with fruit juice, plus three small choccies that were in the box. Feeling the restriction but otherwise fine.

Just wanted to say Happy Christmas @SAM55 hope you are having a good day and had a good Skype chat with your daughter :hugs:

Just wanted to say Happy Christmas @SAM55 hope you are having a good day and had a good Skype chat with your daughter :hugs:
Thanks Hannah. Happy Christmas to you too. Skype went well at 9am with no picture problems this time which was a relief. :) Have had a real chill day in bed with the paper, radio , opening presents and the odd nibble. In fact it has done me good as I realised how exhausted I was. Hope you have had a good day too. x:hugs:

@SAM55 happy new year! Hope you are ok?

Feeling pleased with myself as have been away a week where there was food a plenty, and much of it very tempting! Have lost 1.4 kg since last weigh in 10 days ago. Two x 2 mile walks, 1 x 1, and the only food 'problem' I experienced was chronic wind and diarrhoea after eating chestnuts as the protein option instead of venison, which I thought might get stuck, on New Year's Eve. Had lots of compliments from friends who haven't seen me for some time on my weight loss, and bought two fleece tops in the sales which I thought would be a bit tight, and they have room in them. :) Could almost have gone for a smaller size...

Slowly adjusting to being back after a 10 hour car journey yesterday so somewhat shattered.

Happy New Year to you all and hope you are all well and still on track. x

Decided I needed to clear out my freezer today and use up foods that have been in there since starting puree. I didn't get on well with fish in sauce when i tried it at stage 2 so have been putting off having it again. Tried again today and am feeling very restricted and bunged up so new home needed for the box of four that are in there. Have also thrown out some haggis, that i intended to try again as it was a problem, but...

Back to the stewed steak... However, tried chicken twice whilst I was away, once the innards of a chicken and mushroom pie and once with tomatoes, olives and red wine (both cooked by friends). The latter was yummy but I am guessing full of calories! However, all digested very well so am going to give chicken a go again myself.

Some ice cube prune juice about to bite the dust which I bought ages ago for the constipation but it was too sweet. Trying to decide what to do with the small bags of long grain rice which didn't go down well when I tried it before. Am absolutely fine with the short grain that is put in rice pudding. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be other than how much liquid is absorbed? Has anyone tried paella rice please?

Have also had another clothes clear out and have three black bags full ready for the charity shop as running out of room. Mainly tops that are 2-3 sizes too big now and most are not worth the effort of putting on ebay as they are quite ancient. o_O

Back to hydrotherapy today for first time in 4 weeks. Teacher on holiday so it was DIY. Tried out their new barbells and dumbells, great for toning arms, then went to the community cafe where they were having a workshop of exercise. I could happily say I was exercising at the pool and walking. Don't think i will be riding a bike anytime soon though.

Decided this morning it was time I bought a new cossie so went online and ordered a couple of cheap ones to try for size, as my smallest one is really too big now and saggy around the bum. Current is size 30 and new ones are size 22 - here's hoping. :) More offerings for the charity shop!

Also updated my Facebook profile pic with one that was taken whilst I was away (I am hopeless at selfies and hiding my turkey neck) and have had lots of compliments, and finally changed my Windows account photo so when I boot up I see the new me, rather than the me of September 2015. I can really see the difference now.

Had a peanut butter and banana smoothie after pool for lunch and a small flapjack. I was then offered a mushroom cup a soup about an hour later which I accepted as I was cold - now feel sick. :eatdrink017:

Now feeling very knackered as too much mental and physical activity in one day.

The good news is that I got an email this morning about my long awaited therapy - I am going to receive a letter in the post offering an appointment at the end of the month. It does pay to complain, and also to have someone who can chase things up for you... I feel really sad though for those who don't know how the system works or who to contact for support, and are stuck on waiting lists (possibly even the wrong ones) for ever. :(

What a difference! You look fantastic (and I have hair envy) x

Hi @SAM55 i missed your post somehow! Sorry about that!

Congrats on getting the therapy sorted out, that must be a huge relief.

New costume ordered here too! Time to get back to the pool- tried mine on and it just fell off! Lol! Feels good doesn't it?!

Your pics look hugely different! You look great. It is a weird feeling when you look at different photos and the difference hits you! Good idea to have the new you on your profiles!

Went out for brunch with a friend who wasn't happy eating in front of me, but he hadn't had breakfast, and was about to do an afternoon of manual work. I ended up ordering a bacon roll, but only ate the bacon, and also had a hot chocolate - 30 mins before (I had porridge for breakfast). Didn't think I would manage all three rashers but I did. Then went for a walk of between 1-2 miles but it was over rough ground with my rollator so the effort involved burned calories as well as the distance. Had a small banana afterwards.

Parcel with new cossies has arrived so will try them on in the morning after my shower. Hoping at least one will fit me for Monday :rolleyes:

Hi @SAM55 i missed your post somehow! Sorry about that!

Congrats on getting the therapy sorted out, that must be a huge relief.

New costume ordered here too! Time to get back to the pool- tried mine on and it just fell off! Lol! Feels good doesn't it?!

Your pics look hugely different! You look great. It is a weird feeling when you look at different photos and the difference hits you! Good idea to have the new you on your profiles!
Thanks @Hannah2 . I have found it is difficult to keep up with some of the threads you are following, especially if you haven't been on for a while, although I have spotted the little profile icon appearing in the New Posts of those you are following and find it very helpful.

It certainly does feel good (although the cost of replacing everything is starting to tell!). :rolleyes:

Hi @SAM55 you know they kept showing those red choc ads at Xmas saying it wouldn't be an Xmas without Lindlt! I am sure the ads have a lot to answer too as I was drooling too but thankfully I can't have any choc (except when I nick a bit of my son's dairy and gluten free treats). Glad the ad is gone now. I was exactly the same with crisps over Xmas and had far too many but compared to before op well it is nothing!
Like you I too go for food when upset by others or even bored. I am struggling finding something else to do, but I think returning here now I have Internet as was away over Xmas and NY.
Your difference in the photos are awsome you have lovely bone structure and yep love your hairstyle.
That's fab you can go swimming great fittness wish I learnt to swim. Enjoy the new costumes.

Well done on the walking, how did you get on with your swimming costumes?

Hi @SAM55 you know they kept showing those red choc ads at Xmas saying it wouldn't be an Xmas without Lindlt! I am sure the ads have a lot to answer too as I was drooling too but thankfully I can't have any choc (except when I nick a bit of my son's dairy and gluten free treats). Glad the ad is gone now. I was exactly the same with crisps over Xmas and had far too many but compared to before op well it is nothing!
Like you I too go for food when upset by others or even bored. I am struggling finding something else to do, but I think returning here now I have Internet as was away over Xmas and NY.
Your difference in the photos are awsome you have lovely bone structure and yep love your hairstyle.
That's fab you can go swimming great fittness wish I learnt to swim. Enjoy the new costumes.
You don't need to be able to swim to exercise in a swimming pool. Check out hydrotherapy or aquafit sessions. I go to both and there are many non-swimmers in there. Great form of exercise, good for the joints and helps tone the droopy bits. :)

Many of our food cravings are down to our tongues and the oral satisfaction we get from different textures. As your is crisps then try brushing your tongue with your toothbrush when you feel the urge, so it gets the stimulation that the crunchiness of crisps gives it and see if that helps? As you tell yourself you can't have chocolates for health reasons then repeat the same for crisps. Affirmations repeated everyday for three weeks start to lodge in the brain creating automatic thoughts. Stick it on your food cupboard door to remind you.

What hobbies do you have? Do you do crafts, or something to keep you occupied? Do some volunteering, take up some study.

Thanks for the compliments :)

Back