• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Thought it was time I got back to diary writing...

Now 5 weeks post knee op and starting to feel I am getting my life back! Two days off of the codeine (although not the Narproxen which is making my blood pressure go sky high) or paracetamol) and my brain is starting to fire more normally.

Firstly my weight. I was able to balance on the scales just over 2 weeks ago and found I had put on 5kg! Wasn't surprised given i was mainly in bed or sitting on a chair, i was constipated as hell from the codeine, and eating flapjack to try and cope with the constant nausea.

Fast forward to today and I have lost 3 of the kg's so am know only 2kg higher than I was pre-op. So with a bit more exercise and a bit less flapjack I should hopefully be back to baseline and can then focus on getting rid of the final stone of my original target.

Emotionally it has to have been one of my hardest recoveries what with the pain, lack of sleep and being so helpless, and with no family in this country or available close friends to do much caring, I have had a succession of strangers coming in to do very personal things like showering, preparing what seems to them a very strange diet, and and asking very personal questions. Every outing be it to a medical appointment or to a couple of work related meetings I really didn't want to miss, has involved constant 'who can I get to drive me' planning and in some cases an expensive taxi. This has meant I have had difficulty in not responding to everything in a negative way and also being over reactionary to every perceived slight. One of the reasons I have stayed off the forum mainly as i know it is so easy to write things that can be misconstrued by others. Sorry to those of you who support me regularly who have been wondering how I am plus dealing with your own big recent life events. Hope you too are recovering well.

Still no report received about my complaint regarding the knee drain etc that I was promised I would get by end of October. Now have NHS Complaints Advocacy chasing it up. I go back to see Consultant on 22nd November, where I have to ask what are the risks of it staying in there, what percentage of ops have this happen, and what other surgery might have to happen if there is a problem. So far one person has said there is a risk of infection, another has said when the stitches dissolve it could move and either touch a nerve or get caught up in the joint.

On the plus side I am now under a local physio who is lovely and I started back in her hydrotherapy class last Wednesday. Good to be back in the water again, although have to be careful i don't overdo it! She says from the movement i have other than the drain, they have done a good job and i just need to keep up with the exercises as well as I have been.

Did my first drive this week, just to the GP surgery and am going to try a longer journey today to wherever I feel like going, to try and shake off the remnants of the cabin fever. I can walk indoors with no crutches but still need aids outside. Quite fancy going to buy the new trainers I promised myself once I had had the op. Sun is also shining so may take in a detour to see some autumn colours too.

Update now the postman has been. I now have the hospital complaint report. As usual with these things, they always arrive at the weekend when there is no one to discuss them with! (Could have done with it yesterday when I saw my GP). As expected they are contesting some of what I say. A little bit more info about the after effects of the drain in my knee that says it shouldn't interfere with the joint.

Glad to hear you are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I've only ever had one surgery (the bypass itself) and have other than that been lucky enough to be relatively healthy, so when I had a long, rough recovery it really shook me. Never felt so helpless before and like you I don't have any family I this country either. When I was readmitted to the hospital I just bawled like a baby for hours, I really missed my family. It really takes a toll on you emotionally, doesn't it?

Well done on already shedding some of the weight that crept on when you were immobile!

It really irritates me to hear that they are contesting some of what you say. Surely the key thing is: did you forget a b***y drain in my knee or not? It's not like that sort of thing is open to interpretation. No matter how they dress it up - they made a mistake. Whether you are lucky enough to not have any complications as a result is beside the point.

Onwards and upwards from here, hope it gets a little easier with every day that passes x

Update now the postman has been. I now have the hospital complaint report. As usual with these things, they always arrive at the weekend when there is no one to discuss them with! (Could have done with it yesterday when I saw my GP). As expected they are contesting some of what I say. A little bit more info about the after effects of the drain in my knee that says it shouldn't interfere with the joint.
I wish you luck for a speedy recovery x

Hi , I am glad your progressing well and hope you get back to normal soon. Well done with the weight loss and hope you get a satisfactory answer to your complaint. Take care and mend well.

Hey lovely
I'm struggling following my own latest surgery and the on going follow ups/implications for the rest of life and life expectancy and not posting much for similar reasons I suspect. I'm thinking of you x

Hey lovely
I'm struggling following my own latest surgery and the on going follow ups/implications for the rest of life and life expectancy and not posting much for similar reasons I suspect. I'm thinking of you x
Have been thinking of you too. Xx

Glad to hear you are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I've only ever had one surgery (the bypass itself) and have other than that been lucky enough to be relatively healthy, so when I had a long, rough recovery it really shook me. Never felt so helpless before and like you I don't have any family I this country either. When I was readmitted to the hospital I just bawled like a baby for hours, I really missed my family. It really takes a toll on you emotionally, doesn't it?

Well done on already shedding some of the weight that crept on when you were immobile!

It really irritates me to hear that they are contesting some of what you say. Surely the key thing is: did you forget a b***y drain in my knee or not? It's not like that sort of thing is open to interpretation. No matter how they dress it up - they made a mistake. Whether you are lucky enough to not have any complications as a result is beside the point.

Onwards and upwards from here, hope it gets a little easier with every day that passes x
Thanks for your support and understanding. . My complaint was about more than the drain, so much that I never had the energy to write it down on here. They are not disputing they made a mistake with the drain although they are minimising it and have left me to worry about what might happen as they said they would revisit if there ‘were problems in the future’ without making it clear what they might be. There is a bit more detail in the report but without that I would still know nothing until I see consultant on 22nd. What they are disputing is conversations about post op care. My word against theirs! Certainly not a very caring culture there. . I have had lots of surgery in the past 40 odd years to compare it too. I think it is a combination of cuts making them more busy and stressed but also to do with training these days. Morr medicine and less caring.

4lbs off this week, so give or take a pound I have got rid of the 11lbs I put on following my knee surgery. :) Most I think was fluid and constipation and a lack of exercise. Becoming more mobile now and managed over 5000 steps yesterday (with crutches) . I ache terribly this morning and had a bad night with pain, so must be more careful not to overdo it!

Feeling nervous about my appointment with consultant on Wednesday. I won't know until I get there whether I will see the surgeon who performed the op or the consultant.

Have developed a love of toasted cheese/ham sandwiches as have been feeling the cold. Need to knock that one on the head!!

4lbs off this week, so give or take a pound I have got rid of the 11lbs I put on following my knee surgery. :) Most I think was fluid and constipation and a lack of exercise. Becoming more mobile now and managed over 5000 steps yesterday (with crutches) . I ache terribly this morning and had a bad night with pain, so must be more careful not to overdo it!

Feeling nervous about my appointment with consultant on Wednesday. I won't know until I get there whether I will see the surgeon who performed the op or the consultant.

Have developed a love of toasted cheese/ham sandwiches as have been feeling the cold. Need to knock that one on the head!!
Well done on weight loss and getting more mobile. Xx

Scales barely moved this week - possibly lost an ounce! I am ok with that though as I have eaten out a couple of times plus my food choices overall haven't been brilliant. Just pleased to be back where I was pre-op. Still not much in the way of exercise allowed yet/doable other than a few gentle exercises in the water once a week and pottering around on my crutches. Can walk without on level ground so fine indoors but not much in the way of level ground around here - cobbles, sloping pavements, stone paths...

Clothes are a bit baggier around the bum though so something is happening. Always shifts from there first.

Saw consultant on Wednesday - I have better movement than he was expecting at this stage (I have been working my socks off!) and all seems to be ok. I asked him a few questions about the piece of drain left inside - like 'have you done this before?' 'No, but Mr L has had a few (his boss) and it is common for things to get left in' :eek: 'It's just bad luck". His bedside manner is appalling. :(

Had an exploratory conversation with a personal injury lawyer on Tuesday - and am going to follow that up further this week.

Chocolate (Twirl bars - goodness knows what the chemical is in them but they have always been my addiction) two days running (or is it three?) This week has gone downhill fast for so many reasons... :(

Well done Sam, your clearly being sensible with the chocolate xx

It's "common/bad luck for things to be left in"? Uhm, I think that says something about their practices - I would assume there was some form of checklist procedure in place in theatre to avoid exactly that?

In terms of the chocolate, I've noticed that sometimes when I've been bad I actually loose more. My theory is that it keeps my metabolism on its toes rather than assuming starvation mode. Obviously you can't go overboard with it, but increasing the calorie intake a bit on a day here and there seems to actually work better for me.

It's "common/bad luck for things to be left in"? Uhm, I think that says something about their practices - I would assume there was some form of checklist procedure in place in theatre to avoid exactly that?

In terms of the chocolate, I've noticed that sometimes when I've been bad I actually loose more. My theory is that it keeps my metabolism on its toes rather than assuming starvation mode. Obviously you can't go overboard with it, but increasing the calorie intake a bit on a day here and there seems to actually work better for me.
I agree TiaLi! Off to solicitor on Tuesday to make a start on medical negligence claim if they think they can make a case based on psychological distress. No physical problems with knee which is actually working very well and they reckon it is unlikely there will be, but it cannot be ruled out.

Interesting observation about when you have been bad. Can't say i have noticed it before. I have two theories... Because my knee is a lot better I am moving better, so therefore burning more calories, even though I am not doing the walking I was pre-op yet. Or, as whatever is in Twirl bars (and no other chocolate, even other Cadbury products does it) really keeps my anxiety in check - like a valium would, I am producing less cortisol which can make you gain weight.

Someone has pushed my buttons too hard this afternoon! 4 Twirl Bars, 2 sausage rolls and a drive around the countryside to try and calm down. Got a great view of the Supermoon from up on the tops which calmed me down a little.

Walked about a quarter of a mile and back yesterday without any aids. Back out with my walking buddy tomorrow for the first time since op. Going to try some inclines!

Back