• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

SAM55

Well... Decided it was time to start a pre-op diary now the excitement of two weeks ago being told after 14 months I was going to get the surgery has worn off a bit, and it is going to be a long wait, as it is NHS!

I have an appointment next Wednesday at Jimmy's with the Dietetics Co-ordinator - she was the first person I saw last May, so hopefully she can answer a lot of my questions, such as which pre-op diet I will be on.

Have been working hard this week to cut the carbs down and also eat more puree/softer type food to get my brain and taste buds used to it. My biggest challenge has been avoiding the hot cross buns which I love, so will be glad when they have gone from the shops after Easter. I was very good on Monday night when a friend brought some round and I said no thanks.

I know I have Easter egg arriving in the post tomorrow (white chocolate) as my daughter has chosen to ignore the fact that I gave up chocolate in January 15. Hopefully it isn't too big.;):break_diet:

countrywench

Oh I'm with you on the hot cross buns ! They smell amazing !
A workmate brought some into work today , all buttered and ready to eat , but I didn't waver and I stayed good and ate a hard boiled egg instead ..
It's a hard road to walk , but each step is a lesson ..
Mindy
Xx

paulam

Hi Ladies

I thought it was just me. I have a weakness for Hot Cross Buns and everything Easter. Promised my six year old son that I will go out to find him an allergy free Easter egg but I know I will be tempted. I have not received my date yet but I am on the waiting list so I know that my date is coming closer. (have a four to six month wait).

countrywench

Anything that smells as amazing as hot cross buns in the oven is tempting . That smell is like a wave of the most exotic perfume wafting in the breeze and you have to lift your nose and follow the scent .
But we have another scent trail to follow now , a health and victory scent trail which we must follow to its source . It's only a food source ( I keep this in my head at mo ) , it goes in and it comes out the other end , doesn't matter what it tastes and looks like , it goes down the pan lol !
Have a good day
Mindy
Xx

SAM55

Hi Ladies

I thought it was just me. I have a weakness for Hot Cross Buns and everything Easter. Promised my six year old son that I will go out to find him an allergy free Easter egg but I know I will be tempted. I have not received my date yet but I am on the waiting list so I know that my date is coming closer. (have a four to six month wait).
Is it just hot cross buns Paulam or anything with dried fruit? The next think I have to tackle is my daily addiction to fruit muesli. Have managed to kill the Eccles cakes...

Sounds like we are both going to have a similar waiting time. Do you know which procedure you are having?

SAM55

I suppose that is one good way to look at it. I have become more obsessed about what food it is since being diagnosed as diabetic 6 years ago and then swine flu. Is it protein, is it carb? Will it pass quickly or slowly?

The more rigid my diet HAS to be the better I am able to live with it as there is less to decide.

SAM55

Prisoners last meal/s

Glad that Easter is now over as have been eating out too much and not caring what I eat, other than thinking, this could be the last time I can have this and I am doing it because I can, rather than I won't do this because I cannot. Not a good idea when I probably still have about four months to go. Talk about prisoners last meal x 4!

I am very good indoors as I only keep food in that is pretty ok.

'treats' this Easter have been:
Hot roast beef sandwich:break_diet:
ham and cheese toastie with chips:break_diet:
Caramel apple granny:break_diet:
:sausage bap:break_diet:
carrot cake:break_diet:

Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

los in it

At least you recognise you've had a blimp day chalk it down to a lesson(1 of many on this WLS journey!) pick yourself up and start again

SAM55

lousy experience

Well I went to the hospital today to see the Consultant Dietitian about pre-op diet which was not the most edifying experience of my life. :cry: Bombarded with lots of paperwork, was only allowed to ask questions when she had finished talking, and was expected to have taken it all in at once.

Was also told I was not eligible for any psychological support afterwards as I live in the wrong county and was out of area and they won't pay for it, and then went on to tell me what good support I would have had if I lived in the county that the hospital was in. This was told to me after I had explained to her that I had had psychological support in place at the start of this journey but they had died in December so was feeling somewhat emotional talking about this.:cry:

Was also told I will be on pre-op diet for a month, but surgeon could call me in after two days if he had a gap in his list?!?!!?

Have to see her again in about four weeks time. What joy.:rolleyes:

Lisa876

Well that was very helpful, wasn't it? I think unfortunately some of these professionals become so desensitized, they forget to be empathetic or consider that it coud easily be themselves or a loved one in your position. A real shame...

But at least you're closer now :)

SAM55

Well... Having not been offered a choice of pre-op diet at my meeting with the dietician on Wednesday and just given one sample menu for solids, a Milk Diet menu which I expressed an interest in as I think I could stick to it better arrived unexpectedly in the post this morning! I haven't lost all choice and control to the system! :) If I hadn't joined this Forum then I would have had no idea it existed so thanks everyone for so freely sharing information. x

puddytats

I'm sorry you've had that experience, mine is similar.

Dietitican didn't tell me that my pre op would be 4 weeks, in fact the information I got from her said I could not do it for more than a week!

Funny how same person gives such different advice. I see her this week. Dreading it to be honest, I've gained a little bit of weight as I'm fed up of waiting (not the answer I know), just wish they'd get on with it.

Funnily enough, no one has ever said anything about psychological support. I did do a massive questionnaire before Christmas after the pre-op assessment (for trial).

I'm sorry Sam. Pick up and keep going is the only advice I have :(

SAM55

Dietitican didn't tell me that my pre op would be 4 weeks, in fact the information I got from her said I could not do it for more than a week!

Funny how same person gives such different advice. I see her this week. Dreading it to be honest, I've gained a little bit of weight as I'm fed up of waiting (not the answer I know), just wish they'd get on with it.

Funnily enough, no one has ever said anything about psychological support. I did do a massive questionnaire before Christmas after the pre-op assessment (for trial).

Good luck with your appointment. I too had put a bit on since my surgeon visit 3 weeks ago, but either she didn't notice from my notes on the computer or was only looking at my original weight on the paper notes from seeing her last July where there was a significant loss.

SAM55

Sorry, tried to change reply status midway so didn't finish what I wanted to say. Still getting my head around the technology on here.

I can totally understand your frustration now at the still waiting when you thought it would have happened by now. It makes it so hard to plan anything! My 18 weeks isn't until mid-July and as I am going on holiday next Saturday and also want to finish my OU academic year at the end of May, I don't want it yet anyway. It will be a different story once July comes if I haven't heard anything!!

I feel a bit better now I have the milk diet option, I am starting to feel that what I had said was heard, rather than just being told what to do like a child.

I am certainly going to check out the four week thing when I next go which I think was connected to her saying i could be called in with two days notice, and I am going to ring admissions to check they have noted I do NOT want a cancellation at short notice. I am wondering if the difference in our information is because we have different surgeons? I have been told now that I am under Mr Mehta, although it may not be him that does the sleeve.

Will be interested in hearing how you get on next week. Hope it goes well.

SAM55

Sorry, tried to change reply status midway so didn't finish what I wanted to say. Still getting my head around the technology on here.

I can totally understand your frustration now at the still waiting when you thought it would have happened by now. It makes it so hard to plan anything! My 18 weeks isn't until mid-July and as I am going on holiday next Saturday and also want to finish my OU academic year at the end of May, I don't want it yet anyway. It will be a different story once July comes if I haven't heard anything!!

I feel a bit better now I have the milk diet option, I am starting to feel that what I had said was heard, rather than just being told what to do like a child.

I am certainly going to check out the four week thing when I next go which I think was connected to her saying i could be called in with two days notice, and I am going to ring admissions to check they have noted I do NOT want a cancellation at short notice. I am wondering if the difference in our information is because we have different surgeons? I have been told now that I am under Mr Mehta, although it may not be him that does the sleeve.

Have just read your message again and see you mention the trial. I was offered it too and was prepared to explore it, although was concerned about not having a choice over which procedure. When I went to see surgeon I was interviewed first, and then saw him, and as soon as I mentioned a scan had shown up that I had hernias from previous ops, although they don't give me any problems, he then told me I wasn't eligible. Shows they don't check your medical records and I thought it was a waste of time and NHS resources, never mind the stress. :(

I need the psychological support as I had a breakdown a few years ago and I had to undertake two sessions of psychological assessment before they would agree to the surgery. I had someone in place when I started this process over a year ago and I have no family support, but unfortunately they died in December. :(

puddytats

I'll let you know. This last wait is the hardest part. Yes could be different surgeons.

I daren't ring admissions again - I've rang twice, the first on the advice of the dietitian, to be told "we're hoping for February" and "we're hoping for March.

I turned down a job for this op - would have meant a move away from my support network, although I'm beginning to wonder if this was the right thing to do. I could have been there 3 months now.

They may be back on track for 18 weeks by the time yours comes along. I had Christmas, always a time when things are delayed, followed by I think 3 Junior Dr strikes so far. Such is life!

I'm not sure about the milk thing. I'm lactose intolerant, so I have lacto-free milk (which seems to be ok, thankfully) and eat goats yoghurt. Find I'm ok with goats milk.

When I last rang admissions sec, she said they like to give 2 weeks notice but can do it on one. But again, with different surgeons, this advice could be different.

Good to find someone in the same area :)

SAM55

a good hospital visit

Back to Jimmy's again today, this time for my CPAP machine review. One really good thing that has come from this WLS journey so far is that my sleep monitoring check last October, showed that I had moderate sleep apnoea and was waking 24.7 times per HOUR!

5 months later which has included a brain scan and a dementia check it has become clear that my brain was being starved of oxygen rather than I was becoming demented. :) Today's results have shown since using the machine I now only wake 2.3 times per hour. One of those life changing moments that made me tearful and got me a hug from a rather lovely male nurse. :) :) :thankyou: Mitch

I was also given a new gadget to play with and a oxygen cylinder connector for when I have the surgery.

niccie

Back to Jimmy's again today, this time for my CPAP machine review. One really good thing that has come from this WLS journey so far is that my sleep monitoring check last October, showed that I had moderate sleep apnoea and was waking 24.7 times per HOUR! 5 months later which has included a brain scan and a dementia check it has become clear that my brain was being starved of oxygen rather than I was becoming demented. :) Today's results have shown since using the machine I now only wake 2.3 times per hour. One of those life changing moments that made me tearful and got me a hug from a rather lovely male nurse. :) :) :thankyou: Mitch I was also given a new gadget to play with and a oxygen cylinder connector for when I have the surgery.
what a massive difference, that's brilliant X

SAM55

what a massive difference, that's brilliant X
Yes. What a difference the attitude of the person can make to your day. He is very person centred and explains everything to you as an equal with his own dash of humour. :)