• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Well the no longer being diabetic and the lower cholesterol is great news. The fight to get therapy is just astounding though. People have often reached a point of crisis when they ask for help so having to wait do many months to then get help is extremely difficult. You should have the option to ask to see a different therapist or try a different type of therapy if you don't feel you click for example. That's how it's meant to be but in reality if you've been waiting a year or more you'll be stuck with whatever you get :(

Have you searched places like the BACP site and similar for other types of therapy provisions in your area? Sometimes there are charities offering therapy either for free or with a sliding scale based on your income. Mind normally offers up to a year of therapy, other places might offer less but occasionally you do find places that offer more. They're not always the easiest places to find though.

Well the no longer being diabetic and the lower cholesterol is great news. The fight to get therapy is just astounding though. People have often reached a point of crisis when they ask for help so having to wait do many months to then get help is extremely difficult. You should have the option to ask to see a different therapist or try a different type of therapy if you don't feel you click for example. That's how it's meant to be but in reality if you've been waiting a year or more you'll be stuck with whatever you get :(

Have you searched places like the BACP site and similar for other types of therapy provisions in your area? Sometimes there are charities offering therapy either for free or with a sliding scale based on your income. Mind normally offers up to a year of therapy, other places might offer less but occasionally you do find places that offer more. They're not always the easiest places to find though.

Hi Fee. I unfortunately live a rural area where there is very little choice. Something i have been campaigning on for the past 5 years. There are no charities that offer it, our Mind closed down 4 years ago, and they were very small and had nothing like that.

The waiting list for therapy has been two years since I first tried to access it on the NHS in 2006. I eventually went private and have had two therapists, both who have died from cancer so have never reached an adequate conclusion. I am no longer in a position financially to get into a long term private psychotherapy relationship, although I did do six weeks bereavement counselling earlier this year privately. There is a new CCG Mental Health Strategy being launched in our area this month as part of the STP and the waiting list for psychotherapy has been well and truly flagged up. I also have the situation where because I have a high profile voluntary role as Chair of my local mental health forum through which i campaign vigorously with statutory bodies to improve mental health services, plus I used to have a business that supported therapists and coaches, there are many conflicts of interest around too.

There does seem to be some confusion around waiting lists though and not enough communication between different departments as to what the waiting lists actually are given that at my assessment I was told a few months. They did do a good assessment and have identified based on my previous experience of what helped the type of therapist I need. I am therefore hoping that I would get a good match. I also did an OU Counselling module last year so am aware of the different types of therapy so and know what works for me and also what it is that makes therapy work.

That's some great positive health news for you there!

But the counselling situation is ridiculous. I've read your reply to Fee, so hope you do get a good match, and sooner rather than later.

Well a day of good things and bad things...

Still waiting to hear about extension - sigh. Did manage to do 4 hours studying this morning, but there is still a long way to go before I even get to begin to answer the questions and there are a lot of them!

Thought I would chase up the therapy I am waiting for that I had the assessment for at the beginning of August! Had said not until November because of surgery and they said it was more likely to be January. The letter said I could ring and check where I was on the waiting list if I hadn't heard for a few months. They have a SPA system so you always get unhelpful people and the third degree. Sometimes I ring this number in my professional capacity and it has been known for them to ask my date of birth! A complaint went in about that one!!!! Firstly I was told that info wasn't available, or even any indication how long the waiting list was for people, but I was on the waiting list, so I did the cracked record technique of keeping repeating the sentence in the letter and then I asked to speak to the manager. I was offered the option of speaking to someone in the psychotherapy dept. who was immediately able to tell me that I 191st out of 260 :mad: However, as she was new she said she wasn't able to answer my question about roughly how many people a month are seen so giving an idea as to how long it would take. It certainly won't be January though :( My initial referral was last February! Spoke to GP this evening and he is now going to try and refer me out of area, which is going to mean a round trip of 180 miles every week if successful. Plenty of time for reflection...:rolleyes:

Another long battle about getting some short term counselling travel expenses repaid (again out of area) without breaching my privacy as I know and work with the CCG has finally been won thanks to the persistence of my wonderful GP again, and it is going to be paid through the surgery in cash via him. I just need to provide an invoice. Especially pleasing :D as phone calls i had made to DWP and NHS Advice this afternoon about how my privacy could be conserved, where people I spoke to tried to be helpful but the system didn't allow for it, i had resigned myself to not getting back a significant sum of money. :(

Also got my HBN1 bloods results and i am now in the normal range instead of the diabetic range. Have gone from 54 when I went for surgery to 41! He was a very happy bunny and congratulated me on my hard work. I have to have one more test in 3 months and if still normal then I will no longer be diagnosed as diabetic. :) Cholesterol has also gone down so hopefully they will stop mithering me about statins:rolleyes: Thank you surgery. :banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer::banana_dancer:

Still trying to find out when I should have my B12 injection as a letter from hospital to GP has gone astray (or was never written). Having all bloods tested early December to see where my vitamin, mineral and iron levels are at.

My knee has swollen up again after all that swimming so also have to go and have another steroid injection as it is keeping me awake at night. If it isn't one thing its another o_O

On that note I think it is time for bed so I am ready to face another day taxing the brain on project management, change and strategy:snoopyhouse:
Oh congratulations SAM55 that's absolutely wonderful your diabetes is gone! Well done you :D

Well done for putting so much work into trying to change the situation at least @SAM55
It sounds like you'd be in the best position to know if there was less well publicized options available too. Losing two therapists like that must have been very difficult x

Well done for putting so much work into trying to change the situation at least @SAM55
It sounds like you'd be in the best position to know if there was less well publicized options available too. Losing two therapists like that must have been very difficult x
:hugs:

Decided to buy some peanut butter (smooth) this week when i was having my browse round Aldi whilst looking for inspiration for different protein options. Have been making peanut and banana smoothies which have been yummy. Have also found they have been a great help with the constipation, which I am guessing is the fat in the peanut butter? Enjoying both while they last but need to check on scales to see if it is having an adverse effect before buying anymore...

Got lots of studying done this afternoon so feeling a little more positive. Hopefully some more tomorrow as still waiting for news on my extension :( Hunched over a laptop even at a desk with an ergonomic chair for hours is uncomfortable on the stomach! o_O

Also having eyes tested tomorrow as have noticed my distance vision has deteriorated a lot since surgery (already have glasses) and night driving and reading the text on the TV are becoming more difficult.

Did I say I attempted a child's portion of meatballs with mash, gravy and peas (my friend who ordered it added the peas which I don't normally do) when I went to Ikea on Thursday after seeing consultant? I managed the five meatballs and a mouthful of mash and then I was full. Eating out is still certainly a challenge and doesn't give me confidence in going anywhere where there is only an adult sized meal with its expense yet.:(

@SAM55 you are an inspiration. You're doing so well!! Fantastic news re the diabetes! Go you!

Decided to buy some peanut butter (smooth) this week when i was having my browse round Aldi whilst looking for inspiration for different protein options. Have been making peanut and banana smoothies which have been yummy. Have also found they have been a great help with the constipation, which I am guessing is the fat in the peanut butter? Enjoying both while they last but need to check on scales to see if it is having an adverse effect before buying anymore...

Got lots of studying done this afternoon so feeling a little more positive. Hopefully some more tomorrow as still waiting for news on my extension :( Hunched over a laptop even at a desk with an ergonomic chair for hours is uncomfortable on the stomach! o_O

Also having eyes tested tomorrow as have noticed my distance vision has deteriorated a lot since surgery (already have glasses) and night driving and reading the text on the TV are becoming more difficult.

Did I say I attempted a child's portion of meatballs with mash, gravy and peas (my friend who ordered it added the peas which I don't normally do) when I went to Ikea on Thursday after seeing consultant? I managed the five meatballs and a mouthful of mash and then I was full. Eating out is still certainly a challenge and doesn't give me confidence in going anywhere where there is only an adult sized meal with its expense yet.:(
That's a good idea places like Ikea don't expect you to buy adult size meals like served restaurants would I imagine? That's fab you bit the bullet and practiced it?

Oh is it CBT you need? Doesn't Mind do an online one? Thought I heard someone say it somewhere but not sure? If you are in a rural area does your NHS provide CBT via Skype? Just an idea you give to your NHS? I think out Scottish areas do that?

That's a good idea places like Ikea don't expect you to buy adult size meals like served restaurants would I imagine? That's fab you bit the bullet and practiced it?

Oh is it CBT you need? Doesn't Mind do an online one? Thought I heard someone say it somewhere but not sure? If you are in a rural area does your NHS provide CBT via Skype? Just an idea you give to your NHS? I think out Scottish areas do that?
Definitely not CBT and certainly not online! That would be relatively easy to get in comparison to Level 3 of IAPT.

Definitely not CBT and certainly not online! That would be relatively easy to get in comparison to Level 3 of IAPT.
Oh Sorry I thought BCAP or what it is called was CBT? Ahhh I see yes long waiting lists. Mental health should be better resourced. Sorry to hear it is so hard to get this :hugs:

No BACP is the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy so it's one of the professional bodies good therapists will be a member of. There are a couple of others. Any therapist you see should be a member of a recognised professional association as they will have an ethical framework they follow.

The BACP website explains the various types of therapy available, including CBT and also lets you research for therapists near you. They have a register of therapists and to be on that register you have to have reached a certain level of training and experience so you can feel more confident you are choosing someone who is properly trained though you might not click with them regardless of how much training they've had ;) Unfortunately some people do a brief counselling course and then set themselves up as counsellors but it's not as common as it used to be.

No BACP is the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy so it's one of the professional bodies good therapists will be a member of. There are a couple of others. Any therapist you see should be a member of a recognised professional association as they will have an ethical framework they follow.

The BACP website explains the various types of therapy available, including CBT and also lets you research for therapists near you. They have a register of therapists and to be on that register you have to have reached a certain level of training and experience so you can feel more confident you are choosing someone who is properly trained though you might not click with them regardless of how much training they've had ;) Unfortunately some people do a brief counselling course and then set themselves up as counsellors but it's not as common as it used to be.
Thanks for explaining @FeeBee thought I had seen it written somewhere before:)

Did I say I attempted a child's portion of meatballs with mash, gravy and peas

I had the veggie version of that last week, and managed four of the notmeat balls and some mash. I've been out to eat a few times with my husband and have been ordering bunless chicken burgers that usually come with a small side salad instead, but still hate the waste of money when I'm only managing bites and not the whole meal. It's why I liked Ikea because getting a kids meal wasn't an issue at all.

Really hard workout at hydrotherapy this morning. Felt a lot looser afterwards and also got some good tips on exercises for my bingo wings. :) Always feel more hungry afterwards so have had a few more snacks; nothing naughty though. ;)

Went to see I, Daniel Blake this afternoon as a reward for all the studying I did over the weekend and this morning. Happily ignored the popcorn. :) Very good film but they should have provided tissues with the ticket. :( The 'system' certainly seems to have got worse since I last had to deal with them 3 years ago).

Have now got a week's extension on my assignment, was hoping for two, especially now after a tutorial this evening when I found out things I hadn't done so far!

Have been reflecting on the way home how since the op I am less worried about doing things on my own. I guess it was something to do with being dropped off outside the hospital doors unexpectedly by a friend the night before op, and being on my own on the top floor of the patient hotel where no one else was around, looking over the skyline at the lights of Leeds with sirens wailing all night, (so different from my rural idyll) and worried that I wouldn't be able to find my way from one building to another in the morning at 6am with my rollator and suitcase, as I was told there was no one to help me. I did it ok, got through the 'will it or won't it happen' because of the long waiting list for HDU beds, and how will I get home if it doesn't, and the trauma of my first night where the nurse blew my arm up to enormous proportions because she wouldn't put the light on!

I think not only does the surgery change things physically, it also builds resilience where it was lacking before. I think those of you who go abroad on your own to have the surgery are so brave...

Have been so busy I also hadn't realised until this evening that there had been an earthquake in New Zealand. Panicked at first when a friend texted me to see if my daughter was ok, but then found out it happened on South Island, and they are North. This is the second one in a few months as one happened in September before she went so I quickly checked whether it was where they were going.

Please please share with me @SAM55 the tips for bingo wings:character00116:
Glad you treated yourself to the film saw advert for it....hmmm I might be able to go now whilst off and my boy in school. Last film I saw on my own when I had day to myself was Theory of Everything and loved the going to film I wanted and such a fab film.
That's great news re extension. Totally get the independence after going through it alone it's a journey that makes us stronger I think? Mind you still a November Newbie so not experienced yet!
Glad your Daughter is safe:hugs:

It's great that your confidence is growing and I'm glad you got an extension just sorry it wasn't quite as long as you wanted.
A friend suggested that film to me, we go a lot as we have cards we pay for each month. I couldn't face it through. I understand it's very good but I fear a bit too close to the bone for me. I have to forget about it all in between renewing my claim as best I can.

Anyway well done for skipping the popcorn. My treat there now is iced tea lemonade. I used to have chocolate creams from Starbucks until I realised they contain the same calories as a meal! That was a shock :)

Sorry meant to say I'm so glad your daughter's ok. I've got family over there too who are thankfully all safe too. It reminds me how far away they are :(

am pleased your daughter is safe, Sam. I heard that there have been over 800 after shocks too, it's scary

I want to see The United Kingdom and Fantastic Beasts and Beauty and the Beast and all sorts at the cinema!

@puddytats I'm just back from seeing an advanced screening of Fantastic Beasts tonight, it's very good and I really enjoyed it. Definitely check it out :)

Back