• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Bought my first item of clothing in Tesco yesterday from their F&F range (socks don't count), a long sleeved navy t-shirt in a size 20 for £5. Wasn't sure if it would fit yet as my other long sleeved -t-shirts from JDW are a 24. The Tesco one is a lot longer so covers my bum, and hopefully won't shrink upwards like the others have. Certainly nice and comfy and should see me out for the winter. :)

Also had my eye on some pj's with cats on for a tenner but am going to wait until my others are hanging off me more than they are at the moment. Feels good though that I can shop locally and cheaply very soon, even if they don't have a very big range in my local store. Has anyone tried their packs of knickers? Having become attached to my Evans ribbed, and not enamoured with M&S packs of 4 for £5, I am interested in the quality/fit and true to sie before I try them out please.

Also now have a pair of dumbells for £5 from my local FB selling page - pink and green, and heavier than i was expecting, but hopefully will help with toning my arms when I can only get out to walk and not to the pool because of other more pressing commitments.

Have got the munchies today, partly still a throw back from the stress at the weekend which still isn't resolved, and partly due to lack of sleep so craving energy. However, the craving is for savoury and crunchy things, not chocolate, so not as bad.

Will try and get a power nap in before my online tutorial this evening, and then probably a few hours study before bedtime. Hoping the world will leave me in peace for a couple of hours as it has been one of those days with phone calls and unexpected workmen.

Cheaper shopping is excellent and I am fully in favour of it ;)
How are you doing now stress wise? x

a few steps back this week on top of my chocolate raisin/fridge raider binge on Sunday. Didn't fancy porridge for breakfast on Monday so had an Arla protein yoghurt for breakfast for a change, and on Tuesday. I then ended up constipated again for a few days. Upped the fibre and some lactulose but overdid the lactulose so today wasn't pleasant. :( Was on my way to swimming pool as I hadn't been Monday and Wednesday because i had meetings, but caution was needed so I returned home. Managed a short walk of about a mile later.

My walking buddy should have come this afternoon, but got email on Tuesday evening to say she had been rushed into hospital for gall bladder surgery. :( It flared up for the first time just before Christmas and she was told it was because she had lost a lot of weight (4 stone with Slimming World in 6 months.) Doctors are never happy whatever weight you are :rolleyes:

Sleeping without my CPAP machine which isn't working plus the window open, new part still hasn't come so hopefully tomorrow . The letter for a telephone appointment next Wednesday to review if it is working arrived yesterday!! :rolleyes::mad: Brain still suffering from sleep deprivation so thinking is difficult.

Feeling sore when sat at my desk but fine when laying down. Hopefully stomach will have settled down tomorrow so I can get on with my essay otherwise it will be a day of fluids.o_O :very_drunk:
Cheaper shopping is excellent and I am fully in favour of it ;)
How are you doing now stress wise? x
Levels still high as my OU assignment is due in on Wednesday and I still have a lot to do. Brain isn't playing ball due to sleep deprivation, and constipation, and my pouch is really complaining about sitting at my desk. :( Went for a short walk to try and clear my head as the sun came out, but felt giddy and ended up spending afternoon in bed where I slept for about an hour. Have started to see a chink of light this week with one of my other stresses so it isn't all gloom and doom.

Therapy finally starts on the 31st but given how many appointments have been cancelled in past two weeks due to illness (theirs, not mine), I am not holding my breath that it will happen.

Thanks for asking. :hugs:

Bowels really being a pain (literally) as despite yesterday's little episode I am still constipated. Have drunk lots today, (lots more than usual), even craved vegetable soup (unheard of), 3 doses of lactulose and one of Milk of Magnesia. Hoping for a result in the morning before weekly weigh-in! Its starting to feel like the early days post-op. :(

I asked dietitian when I saw her in November why I always feel more hungry and thirsty when constipated - she had no idea. Anyone else experience this please?

Well really wasn't expecting a loss today after the week I have had, but the scales were being kind and I have lost 2lb. :)

BM last night and I could have slept for England. Not sure I am wanting to risk breakfast though...

Breakfast was a struggle and only managed a couple of spoons of porridge. Took more lactulose as BM still difficult. Upped the fluids with Horlicks, soup and water and eventually everything shifted. Managed to get 4 hours studying done in between trips to the loo, lying in bed where it was less painful and waving my dumbbells :character00116: in the air when I feel stressed, which is every time I try to answer a new question and cannot remember anything i have written previously or where I wrote it! :eek: Last major question tomorrow so hopefully brain and bowels will be behaving themselves, so first draft can be completed. Then its the referencing and the proofing... :(

Have just managed stewed steak and sweet potato mash pretty easily so hopefully all is flowing nicely now....
Getting cabin fever now and fed up with my own company, so hopefully will achieve what I need to do tomorrow before it gets dark, so I can go for a walk.:whacky068:

Cabin fever got the better of me after 4 more hours studying, first draft nearly done though. Went to Aldi to stock up on Hike protein bars - they are doing a chocolate one now so looking forward to trying that. :) Found pork medallions @starryeyed so grilled one tonight with a couple of very small herby jacket potatoes. The potatoes were so strong it was difficult to tell whether the pork was very tasty or not!? Suffering indigestion now so will probably regret having the pork by tomorrow as it will likely aggravate the constipation again. :( Have put the rest of them in the freezer and will probably casserole the rest. Have bought a few other interesting things to try, such as couscous and risotto rice with quinoa, to try and vary the carbs, and some German pork spicy pork thing that I have forgotten the name of.

Freezer is now full of food as I have been portioning things up and Tesco is coming tomorrow with more fresh soup - craving carrots and butternut squash for some reason - maybe the colour (?), so I can try and get some more veg in. ? Also bought lots of daffs and multicoloured tulips so guessing brain is seeking some light stimulation/cheering up as it has been so grey this week. :(:(:(:badmood::badmood:

Looking forward to hydro tomorrow :) as not a lot of vigorous exercise over the past week, with meetings and studying, and rotten weather. :badmood:

Have just spotted I hadn't posted last night's update... So tomorrow is today. :)

Forgot to say I was in Tesco last week picking up my prescription and there were about a dozen very large boxes of Lindt red truffles on the reduced shelf. Didn't fancy them one bit, which just goes to show how my craving at Christmas for them was very much an emotional thing.

Am being ambitious in my goals as I needed some new shortie pj's (cannot sleep in long ones as they constrict my knee) as my current ones are starting to fall down and become uncomfortable. I have a passion for sheep and currently have two pairs of sheep shorties from Yours - size 22/24. Thought I would order some more, and the only size they have left is 14/16 at a greatly reduced price of £3 a pair, so have ordered 2 pairs hoping they will fit by the end of the month. :) :p

haha @puddytats too much information!!! :p

@SAM55 isnt it just the best when you start being able to basically walk in to any shop and just pick things up? I got a top in the sale at wallis last friday for a tenner, only a size medium too :rolleyes:

good work girlie xx

@SAM55 thats it get the smaller size they will fit soon and at that price a steal! I accidentally picked up size 10/12 shape knickers ...they were on size 18 hanger on weekend doh! Can't return as knicker but hey can only hope one day I will get their!

Sorry to hear about your BMs are you dehydrated? Is this causing you to drink more? Or is it the liver produces more salt re the toxic waste in body so thirsty? That's a guess btw lol.
Well done on your loss that's a biggie!

Hey lovely I you are feeling better now, sounds like a tough few days.
I find drinking plenty is a vital part of keeping my unhappy, underperforming bowel happy. Seriously I've had children who were easier to keep happy! Walking is the other part of the equation for me, even if I'm in a ridiculous amount of pain I force myself because I 'prefer' joint pain to '6 hours pushing on the toilet' pain.

I'm really glad you're getting the confidence to buy smaller clothes, they will fit soon!

Hey lovely I you are feeling better now, sounds like a tough few days.
I find drinking plenty is a vital part of keeping my unhappy, underperforming bowel happy. Seriously I've had children who were easier to keep happy! Walking is the other part of the equation for me, even if I'm in a ridiculous amount of pain I force myself because I 'prefer' joint pain to '6 hours pushing on the toilet' pain.

I'm really glad you're getting the confidence to buy smaller clothes, they will fit soon!
Yes, wouldn't want to repeat last week anytime again soon, but this week has been slightly better. Helped in the main by getting my OU in on Tuesday - 2 days early, as I had meetings to prep and Chair. I have a gap in my brain to think about other things until next week when I go onto the next stage - giving myself a few days break from it. :)

BM's a bit hit and miss this week. Taking something to read helps. :p Reminds me of my granddad with the daily paper when I was a kid. Now wondering whether he suffered too, or was it an excuse to get away from a house full of females. ;) No meetings away from home or pool sessions in next few days so can risk some more lactulose tonight. :eek:

Drinking plenty, and eating more veg and fibre. Two hydro sessions and as the sun was shining I decided to walk to the pool and back - about a mile each way yesterday. Made sure I ate some bacon before I left (had porridge for breakfast), it is a 12.30 session, and a protein bar before I walked home, via the community cafe, and felt terrible. Trouble breathing when I got there and couldn't cope with a lot of noise. Had some peanut butter, banana and milk shake I had made, before I risked the walk home. Almost collapsed when I got in and had to go to bed. Was ok after an hour and have been fine today, despite a very full and stressful one.

My walking buddy is hopefully back next week, so no excuses not to go out in the wind, rain or whatever else the weather is throwing at us, unless it is snow, in which case she won't make it, and I won't risk my rollator on it! With no OU this weekend, if the snow forecast tomorrow doesn't settle, then I will have some time too over the weekend hopefully to get out for a stroll somewhere nice.

Keeping bowels happy certainly seems to be a full time job for me too. :( However, found the answer 3 years ago when it over performed, so will keep working on it:mad:.

New pj bottoms arrived and they fit :D Slightly snug for sleeping comfortably I think but no trouble to put on so give it a couple of weeks... Glad they were out of stock of 16/18 or I would have wasted money:eek:

Thanks for asking, really appreciate the support. :hugs:

Brilliant on the pj's. It's always great when something like that happens because you can see the difference. My jeans are loose on me now and held up by the belt. Which I bought last summer when it was much to small for me. The guy who sold it to me was polite enough to say nothing when I told him it would fit soon as I was losing weight.
That thing of having to go bed after pushing the exercise happens to me too. I often have to sleep it off for an hour or so, but then I am fine.
Well done on the OU. I tried an online course called 'Getting started with online learning' but although it was not hard I forgot to finish it. Might try again sometime, but make sure I set an alarm for a regular study session.

That's great news the PJs fit @SAM55 :D

I have same problem with BMs and use suppositories every other week as otherwise nothing.

Sorry to hear about you not feeling great...could it be stress of the OU course as you have a lot coming up? Stress can make the sensory problems worse. Hope things settle down for you soon.

Have been doing some research :character00254:on calcium supplements and constipation, as fluids and laxatives are not making much difference still and it is becoming somewhat uncomfortable, and it looks like my instincts were right as I started my Calcichew 2 weeks ago, and that's when the problem started to manifest. The type of calcium usually used in them (rock) does cause constipation, and it needs lots of magnesium to counteract it as it relaxes the colon. Interestingly the foods they mention that have high levels in I have either been craving such as carrots, corriander and squashes (I wondered why I suddenly fancied soup, which I normally only want if I have a cold). I also had a wander round Asda last weekend looking for ideas and was drawn to rice with buckwheat and quinnoa, and also miso, which has seaweed in. According to the list they all have high levels of it so my body was asking me to buy them - not something I would normally consider.:rolleyes:

Have gone back to buying Vit D on its own which I started today, so hopefully with all the other interventions, things will be moving again very soon. :sick0019: Would have liked something to happen in the morning before weigh in:scale:, but at least I get the Guardian delivered on Saturdays so will have lots of supplements to read whilst in the smallest room for a long time. o_O:p :sick0019:

That's great news the PJs fit @SAM55 :D

I have same problem with BMs and use suppositories every other week as otherwise nothing.

Sorry to hear about you not feeling great...could it be stress of the OU course as you have a lot coming up? Stress can make the sensory problems worse. Hope things settle down for you soon.
Stress is always a problem for me @Want2b3 as I suffer with PTSD, but it has been worse recently due to so much happening which I won't bore anyone with, and OU certainly doesn't help! However, I can misdiagnose, like I did last week with the lack of sleep, and always think everything is stress related (somewhat like some doctor's do when they are not saying it is weight related :rolleyes:) however it wasn't stress, but an unusual issue related to weight where my face had shrunk so my nose pillow on my sleep apnoea machine was leaking so not getting the oxygen needed to keep me asleep!

See my other diary post tonight about constipation... Suppositories not an option anyway as my back stops my arms going that far!! o_O

Back