• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Happy anniversary to you both!

I missed posting on here but happy anniversary @SAM55 and @Penelope !!!!

Mega late but happy anniversary hun xxxx

After a tough week (which included 4 bars of chocolate) a little bit of sunshine has come into my life this morning. I have lost 3lbs! :) Still another one and a half pound to go before I get to where I had got, but after the past few weeks weigh ins a boost to what is proving a very difficult journey at the moment. :)

Well done hunny-you are doing fab :) xxx

Well done!!!

2am and i am wide awake and have been for past hour. Been having problems with my CPAP machine again for past 3 weeks and cannot get a date for sleep clinic (or the sleep monitor they were supposed to send me in June). I feel like I am climbing the walls as sleep has not been my friend for 4 weeks now. Brain fog, bad temper and feel like I am losing the plot. :(

Finally got the date for my knee op today :) 5th October with pre-op on the 27th so not long to wait now. Had I not rung them this morning I probably still wouldn't know!!

At least I can now put plans into action and have only had to cancel teeth extractions and a night out at a literary festival for now, and not an important meeting on the 2nd. The main thing is the friend who was on stand by to take me in for 7am is free that day and doesn't have any pre-booked meetings, so I don't have to worry about how I will get there.

Now i need to sort out the sleep clinic as I will NEED a working CPAP machine and get through my consultants surgiversary WLS check up on Thursday.

That's great, you sound like you're in organising mode now :)

Wooooo hooooooo :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I didn't realise it was due to be so soon Sam! You will be having your pre-op when I am (hopefully!) having my op!

So pleased that your friend is free and able to take you. How long will you be in for and how long do you have to be off your feet?

Fingers crossed you sort your CPAP out and that box can be ticked as well!!!!

Wooooo hooooooo :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I didn't realise it was due to be so soon Sam! You will be having your pre-op when I am (hopefully!) having my op!

So pleased that your friend is free and able to take you. How long will you be in for and how long do you have to be off your feet?

Fingers crossed you sort your CPAP out and that box can be ticked as well!!!!
Thanks Hannah :)

They told me in May it would be about 6 months (and then told me June when I had the workmen in) and then at the end of July they said September/October, but i wasn't holding my breath, so sooner than I was expecting and just enough time to not think it is a long way off, but far enough away to be able to finalise things.

I hope they don't mess you around again. Have they said anything about putting you first on the list?

They reckon most people are in 2-4 days but that is assuming there is care when you come home, so that could delay things as I definitely will need some help this time when i first come home with personal care and food as I will be on crutches so won't have any hands free! At least with WLS I didn't have to worry about cooking!! Supposedly they don't let me home until I can manage steps, so that could delay things as well as I have 13 stone ones. :( :eek: No driving for 6 weeks which is going to be the most difficult thing for me as I go everywhere in my car. :(:(:(:(

Glad to hear the op date is known now . It's good to be able to get plans in place. Jump up and down about getting the CPAP fixed, a full blown strop is called for now! Go get em!
Good luck and hope the time passes quickly.

Glad to hear the op date is known now . It's good to be able to get plans in place. Jump up and down about getting the CPAP fixed, a full blown strop is called for now! Go get em!
Good luck and hope the time passes quickly.
Thanks Nearly. :) Having a strop is first on my to do list tomorrow. :mad: The problem is the nurse who deals with it is on holiday this week and the others are useless. :(

How are you doing? x

Have worked out why the constipation is rearing its ugly head again. :( Have changed from cow's milk to soya to try and reduce the bloating, and realising that some don't have calcium in, which was borderline at my last test, I started buying the cheaper one that has added calcium. The same awful stuff that they put in the Calcichew and caused me major problems before. :mad: Have decided to go back to the calcium less ones and up my cheese and yoghurt. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks Nearly. :) Having a strop is first on my to do list tomorrow. :mad: The problem is the nurse who deals with it is on holiday this week and the others are useless. :(

How are you doing? x
Had my strop about CPAP yesterday, and surprise, surprise, my sleep clinic nurse who told me last week that he was on holiday this week, and no couldn't fit me in today when I was going to see consultant, rang me back. He wanted to check the SD card which still hadn't arrived first but was keen that I did get seen before surgery on the 5th. He rang me again today to say he had checked my SD card and it was showing leaks. I reminded him again that I was having surgery on the 5th when he said about seeing me sometime, and said that I was there this afternoon at 4.10. Miraculously, he was able to fit me in at 2pm so being noon I dropped everything and headed off on my 2 hour + journey and made it by 2.05!

Have been sent home with a new style mask - didn't get to try it with a machine although he said he would do that and i didn't need to bring my own, so hoping it does the trick. If it doesn't work then I will have to go back. :( He didn't recognise me so I must have lost more weight :) Fingers crossed for tonight...

Then spent a couple of hours walking corridors, queuing 15 mins to get a coffee and lounging around with no wifi waiting for my next appointment. Thought I was going to see the lovely Mr M (I did get a smile when he came into the waiting room) but ended up with a woman who looked like she was just out of med school who I had never met before. She was happy with my weight loss - 5kg since I last saw consultant in March, but was very dismissive of my questions around the worsening sensory processing disorder since op and possible connection with the vagus nerve. All psychological she said!

Then hit the delights of rush hour in Leeds, students all over the place and a number of blue light ambulances and a very long journey. :(

Two Greggs sausage rolls, a Costa Coffee latte and a Twirl bar later it hasn't been a good day all in all. :mad:

Knee pre-op done and went ok-ish. Have found out they want to do a spinal block rather than a general and can only discuss my concerns about the effects of this on my bad back with the anaesthetist on the day. :( I asked how he would be able to make a judgement and was told he would 'look' at it first. I am now chasing up a copy of my 2013 MRI scan to let them have as I am not happy about this. Because I am going out of area they cannot access my notes.

Blood pressure, blood sugars and weight all good.

Think I have managed to get them to agree to patient transport to bring me home given I cannot make any plans for this before I go in and friends may not be available/prepared to hang around for them to discharge me, or have a vehicle I can get in.

Didn't enjoy getting up at 5.30 am though and will have to do even earlier next week. :( Needed chocolate :eek:o_O to get me home.

Did hydro and flu jab afterwards and then fell asleep. zzzzzzzzz

Back