• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Great news from the DWP. That must be a great weight off your mind. Interesting info from Fee I have also read interesting research about how our bodies work when we suffer from stress.

I'm glad for the good news!
@Nearly there-1 is right and I think you've said the same to me before about offering the care and compassion we offer to others to ourselves too.
I've been listening to some interesting stuff about the psychology of eating recently and the idea that how we feel about what we eat affects how we metabolize it.I need to do some more research but we know stress makes us more likely to gain because of the affect of cortisol on the body so I can see why stressing about our diet could have an impact. So I'm dealing with a small gain this week too so I'm trying to make choices I feel happy with and go from there. Does that make any sense?! Pain meds on top of pain meds right now so I feel three sheets to the wind!
Good to know I am not alone Fee. I am trying not to be hard on myself as I know all the reasons for that gain this week are good ones. Have read about the cortisol affect before and I am sure it has contributed significantly to my weight gain and my osteoarthritis over the years. I will say that everything i have eaten this week, particularly the cake, I have enjoyed, so in theory I should have metabolized it ;)

Some of the gain I know is constipation as it always does it, and can make a 2lb difference so not too worried about a couple of pound as having a weekend in with a bottle of milk of magnesia. Have been trying to get my protein and calcium up after my borderline blood results and I also have an appointment with the dragon on Aug 3rd and she will spare me no quarter :(

And although i went to the pool this week, it was only once instead of twice and I didn't do anything too strenuous because of my fall. So not a lot of exercise taken even counting the walk.

Rather than the scales I am more bothered about the muffin top which has been going on for a few weeks, even when i have had losses, and my t shirts have started getting too snug. Yesterday I had to order two size 22's as my 18s and 20's (various makes) are riding up. In the meantime my knickers and pj's are getting looser around my bum. All very confusing!

I am starting to think it must be a particular food related issue that is causing bloating. Suspects so far are more milky drinks with decaf coffee, and milled linseed with seeds and goji berries in my porridge to get some extra fibre in.

Doing better today food wise now one of my three large balls in the air has now been removed but the trigger time is late afternoon and through the evening. I have never been an evening snacker before.

Commiserations about your pain meds - I am trying to do without today as even the small amounts of paracetamol I have taken this week have fogged my brain. :( x

A weekend in with a bottle of milk of magnesia. We know how to party girl!

My weights been stuck mostly since I introduced a daily breakfast of overnight oats made with gluten free last, chia sees, milk, yogurt and berries but it's definitely a better start to my day and helping the old bowel issues but for godsake I'm eating chia seeds, karma alone means I should be motabolising like a badass!!!!

As we know our bodies don't always respond as we expect but it doesn't make it less of a disappointment nearly every time. Fingers crossed for some calmer and less cortasiltastic times ahead that will be reflected in the scales x

Ok, so enough of the woe is me! :D

I had a good therapy session this morning which cleared a lot of stuff in my head and I rang the knee hospital this afternoon to find out if they were able to give me an idea of another date following my refusal of the first one at short notice that they offered me as I felt I couldn't plan my life... All they could say was that they thought it would be October and the surgeon was on holiday for all of August.

That was enough for me! Have booked myself a 3 night break at a B&B in Scotland the week after next. Injured leg or no injured leg (a 2 hour car journey) I am going to make sure I can get there and have marked out my diary. :p

The biggest challenge I think is going to be telling the owners I won't be eating their 5* rated breakfasts:eek:

Good for you x

Sitting here contemplating my ongoing constipation which doesn't seem to be getting any better despite increasing fluids, fruit, veg and fibre with the odd laxative thrown in. It has been a slow moving week. Now dosed up on lactulose, milk of magnesia and senna contemplating another weekend not far from the loo as I don't HAVE to be anywhere unless I get the result I want before weekly weigh-in in the morning - just in case... :(

Well some results from last night's laxative binge. Feeling less bloated this morning and have lost 2 lbs this week so that is a good thing. :)

I image the relief on both counts is big :) Well done!

Hope your ok hun. Well done on the loss xxx

Off to see the Dragon today and need to tell her why the scales are still showing the same as in May. Have written a very long list of the types of foods I have been eating, and also the big stresses that I have had to deal with. Hoping she won't breathe too much fire!

Good luck with the Dragon! Hopefully she will realise that life still continues despite the journey we have embarked on.
It's not what happens to us it's how we deal with it that's important and you have had a shed load of difficult situations to deal with and done extremely well. Don't let her rain on your parade be proud of your achievements .
Keep going we are right with you!!

Good luck, go armed with a fire extinguisher just in case she fails to be reasonable ;)
Thinking of you x

Well, not too traumatic! At least she didn't have me in tears this time.o_O

Got seen on time (!) in a different building to normal that has better parking so I was less stressed and the department was . Also she had a student with her so she was better behaved. Shame she still cannot answer any of my questions though. :( Google does better!!

I weighed myself again before I left and I had lost another 2lbs since Saturday as the laxatives are finally starting to have an effect. :) I was .7lb less than I was in May on her scales so she was happy with that, and she thinks I have plateaued. I told her the truth of what had been happening with stress and some bingeing, plus being less mobile after a fall, and that I think once more mobile (post knee) I can do more aerobic exercise and burn some more. She was very laid back about it!! She also wasn't worried about my borderline protein/calcium

I had made a list of all the different foods I have in my diet as last time she asked me what I was eating and my mind just goes blank. She is trying to get me to keep a food diary for 3 months and doesn't get that I can easily forget to do this as she wants to know what I am having each day. She thinks if she writes in down in a letter that I will be copied into to my GP then I will:confused: . She obviously has no experience of how chronic fatigue and PTSD affect the concentration and memory. Even things I want to do on my to do list can get forgotten! :confused::confused::oops:

I think it would really help a lot if she actually said to me that I had done well and then maybe my 'people pleaser' would kick in and I would be more motivated to do it.

Hi @SAM55 sounds like you have been going through it lately! Sorry to hear about your recent scary passing out episode! Hopefully it won't be repeated!

Hi Sam been catching up with your posts as I have not been on here for a while. Hope you are feeling better xx

Well, only put on 2lbs of the 4 I lost last week. Given i have been away at a B&B with the obligatory cooked breakfast (although a cut down version) plus one or two other tasty things like an ice cream or a hot chocolate, it is better than I thought it would be.

Trying to deal with some deep emotional stuff at the moment so very easy to want to binge as no one around to talk to about it because of holidays; comfort eating is always very near on the horizon. :(

Have decided rather than stressing about it I am going to accept that until I have had my knee done, maintaining within a pound or so of where I am is going to have to do.

:hugs:well done on the loss. I think we are both struggling emotionally in our own ways both emotionally and the impact on our eating. Trying to maintain for a little while might take the pressure off and let you recalibrate and then once you're ready you can go back to actively trying to lose :)

:hugs:well done on the loss. I think we are both struggling emotionally in our own ways both emotionally and the impact on our eating. Trying to maintain for a little while might take the pressure off and let you recalibrate and then once you're ready you can go back to actively trying to lose :)
:hugs:

Back