• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

Hannah2

Bad news today. They have snapped a drain pipe when getting it out. Have Ben told not to eat or drink anything and am waiting to go for X-ray. They may have to open the knee up again.
:badmood:

Hope the x-ray gives good news @SAM55

SAM55

They have decided to leave the piece of pipe in and should it cause any problems down the line I am to go back! Their reasoning is that it is only a small piece and there are other foreign bodies in there with the new joint...

Nearly there-1

Good news no surgery planned. Get back to them if it gives you problems though. You have waited a long while for this surgery and have worked really hard to get the weight off, you deserve it to be right.
Hope your feeling o k and thinking of you.

Maria61

Bad news today. They have snapped a drain pipe when getting it out. Have Ben told not to eat or drink anything and am waiting to go for X-ray. They may have to open the knee up again.
Poor you hope it is sorted soon xxxx

Bling Babe

Oh no Sam really sorry and hope it’s sorted without further surgery xx

Lottiewishes

Oh hunny BIG hugs xxx

FeeBee

I hope you're continuing to heal well. I'm not sure how I'd have felt about them leaving the bit of drain in though, what a lot for you to deal with :(

Lottiewishes

Wondering how you ate doing? Xxx

Hannah2

Glad you are home @SAM55 hope you slept better at home.

SAM55

Well not much sleep since last post but here is an update.

The piece of drain tube is still in there. Have seen it on X-ray and it is about two inches long. Will stay there unless it causes any problems in the future. Less risk than opening again and creating risk of infection. It got sewn in by mistake!

Anyone new to reading my diary, this is knee replacement surgery a year after my WLS and one of the major reasons for having that done as been waiting 14 years for this, so a pretty big deal to me!!
Have made a formal complaint.

Struggling to prepare food as care still not properly sorted . Hoping to have help with a shower in the morning, my first since last Thursday. I never want to see another wet wipe again!!

In a lot of pain as only sent home with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

SAM55

Have got pain more under control now having resorted to co-codamol, backed up with senna, although had a bad night with trapped nerve. Hopefully I won't get too high on the codeine and then crash - (feeling pretty chilled at present :cool:) or bunged up.:sick0019:

Carers are coming in twice a day to help with showering :0bathtime: and making a hot meal. Trying to do things in the kitchen with crutches in both hands is a problem! Not feeling majorly hungry and not comfort eating out of boredom. Hopefully I can keep this up whilst I cannot exercise so i don't put on too much weight. Also cannot weigh for 6 weeks until I can put weight on both feet.

Haven't ventured out yet, partly because of confidence around the steps but also because it keeps raining. :( and it isn't the weather for shorts :rolleyes:, plus I have had plenty of visitors and plenty to do. Planning to have a go on Wednesday with someone as going out on Thursday to an event. Have just ordered a new pair of black jeans online for then, and have upped a size hoping they will be loose enough round my bad knee. Took dressing off this morning and it's looking good (in the sense that it is as it should be, rather than it being a pretty sight!). Lots of bruising over whole leg, and on arms from the crutches. :(

Hospital have contacted me about complaint to say they should be getting a report to me by end of month.

Have had to postpone dietitian appointment in November as not driving and cannot get another until 20th December.

Still having problems with my CPAP mask and many emails going backwards and forwards about settings and fit - the Nurse has become confused about what mask I have as he didn't record giving me a different one when I saw him as an emergency on the 21st Sept! :( :banghead:

Nearly there-1

Sound like a frustrating time for you! Hope the pain is under control and you manage to keep up beat.
At least it's now done and will improve with time and healing. Thinking of you and hope things improve daily. Take good care of yourself and try not to over stretch yourself. Easier said than done I know!!

Maria61

Have got pain more under control now having resorted to co-codamol, backed up with senna, although had a bad night with trapped nerve. Hopefully I won't get too high on the codeine and then crash - (feeling pretty chilled at present :cool:) or bunged up.:sick0019:

Carers are coming in twice a day to help with showering :0bathtime: and making a hot meal. Trying to do things in the kitchen with crutches in both hands is a problem! Not feeling majorly hungry and not comfort eating out of boredom. Hopefully I can keep this up whilst I cannot exercise so i don't put on too much weight. Also cannot weigh for 6 weeks until I can put weight on both feet.

Haven't ventured out yet, partly because of confidence around the steps but also because it keeps raining. :( and it isn't the weather for shorts :rolleyes:, plus I have had plenty of visitors and plenty to do. Planning to have a go on Wednesday with someone as going out on Thursday to an event. Have just ordered a new pair of black jeans online for then, and have upped a size hoping they will be loose enough round my bad knee. Took dressing off this morning and it's looking good (in the sense that it is as it should be, rather than it being a pretty sight!). Lots of bruising over whole leg, and on arms from the crutches. :(

Hospital have contacted me about complaint to say they should be getting a report to me by end of month.

Have had to postpone dietitian appointment in November as not driving and cannot get another until 20th December.

Still having problems with my CPAP mask and many emails going backwards and forwards about settings and fit - the Nurse has become confused about what mask I have as he didn't record giving me a different one when I saw him as an emergency on the 21st Sept! :( :banghead:
Poor you, take care and hope you are better soon xx

Hannah2

Hope you sort cpap issues out soon.

Good that you have the caters for a shower and a hot meal.

Hope you continue to improve

H2x

Lottiewishes

Aww hunny look after yourself. HUGs xxxc

Hannah2

Hi @SAM55 how are you? Hope you are ok. Hugs H2x :hugs:

FeeBee

Yeah hugs from me too. I hope you're ok xx

TiaLi

2 inch drain sewn in by mistake? I'd be fuming! Good you made a complaint, that sort of thing shouldn't happen when following proper checking procedures in theatre. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't cause any issues so they won't have to open you up again. Hope you're feeling a bit better!