• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Second thoughts?

marywithoutsound

Just had an absolutely awful voicemail message off my surgeon's secretary.

I had received and paid the bill for the hospital portion of the surgery cost, and had emailed her to ask how I could pay the surgeon's part.

She emailed back and said I could pay it over the phone and then she would send a receipt. My grandfather is paying the surgeon's fees and asked me to email her back and ask if he could have an invoice before he paid - which I did.

I then got the most awful 2 minute long voicemail telling me that 'of COURSE' she would send me an invoice but she was very busy today doing 'VERY IMPORTANT WORK that takes priority' and I could call her on Friday but in the meantime she wouldn't be replying to her emails. Her tone of voice was absolutely awful and I am sat here on the verge of crying. I didn't expect her to do anything right away, I just wanted to know how and when I could pay them so it was done and dusted.

My op is scheduled for the 5th Ocober but I am now feeling very wobbly about it all. I was really very pleased with my choice of surgeon and his team but It's been an awfully long time since anybody's spoken to me like that, it felt very nasty and it has really knocked me for six.

robina

awww bless you hun

thing is its also very important work for her to invoice the clients, after all the surgeon will want paying

hope her bad day and bad manners doesnt put you off having your operation

RaeB

Don't let a little thing like that put you off, after all, it's not her that will be operating on you. Sounds like she was having a bad day, we all get them.

Onwards and upwards for you.

Josiegirl

Something like that can be really upsetting, especially if you are feeling on edge with the op date approaching fast. Just remember that you will prolly never have to meet her face to face and the important people are your Surgeon and his medical team. Don't let one persons rudeness get you down. Good luck for the op. I was apprehensive before my op but two years on I look back and smile realizing that it was the very best thing I ever did :)

tealovingsleever

If you're happy with your surgeon don't stress. She might have been having a bad day!

Yvessa

Personally if she's making you worry that much I'd ring up and ask to speak to her manager. And if you're not satisfied with their response see if anyone else has had issues with that provider.

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Take it with a pinch of salt. This is a sub-conscious sensitive and stressful time, especially if someone else is paying. She deals with clients all day everyday - for you and your family this is once in a lifetime. No excuse for rudeness ofcourse. In my opinion taking it further will just add to the stress, and remember this is about her and not personal to you. And just get on with what you set out to achieve - a new life!

I'm lucky that my surgeon's secretary is his wife - she is also his surgical assistant, diet advice nurse and support group leader.

marywithoutsound

Thank you everybody :). I know you're all right really, I think I must just already be feeling quite anxious especially as I have never had surgery before, so I was probably a little more over-sensitive than I would have been otherwise.

top_kat

Personally if she's making you worry that much I'd ring up and ask to speak to her manager. And if you're not satisfied with their response see if anyone else has had issues with that provider.

I have to agree with Yve - I wouldn't go with THG because of an interaction that made me feel awful!!!

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!

I have to agree with Yve - I wouldn't go with THG because of an interaction that made me feel awful!!!

That's sound advice from TK. Maybe you need to shop around ... Am not sure how you went about it, but I found my surgeon first then in discussion with him decided on which hospital option package I would go for. Could not have been happier with the experience x

Dandelions

It would be a shame to change all your plans and research which youre happy with for the sake of one obnoxious secretary. She had prolly just been ranted at by someone in the office and took it out on you.

Course she is wrong to do that and you could mail her line manager (I would) and explain how upset and anxious you're feeling, or you could let it go and wish her a happy menapause :)

frankyboysh7

In all honesty, I'd say man up a bit. Maybe she was busy. Maybe you're ultra sensitive about it all. I know I am.
What do you care how rude she is?
Some people are just rude.
Rise above it.
Deal with someone else.
Carry on regardless.
Life's too short to let arseholes get the better of you.

Yvessa

In all honesty, I'd say man up a bit. Maybe she was busy. Maybe you're ultra sensitive about it all. I know I am.
What do you care how rude she is?
Some people are just rude.
Rise above it.
Deal with someone else.
Carry on regardless.
Life's too short to let arseholes get the better of you.

This is something I totally don't agree with. As a generalisation we tend to back down an allow people to mistreat us because we don't have the confidence to say anything/it's too much hassle/am I just misunderstanding etc. no one else is going to stand up for us and frankly every time we 'man up' and let it go they just go on to do it to someone else. And personally bullies disgust me. And I will say my piece - I've already done it twice and as a result the issues were resolved. What happens if there's an issue post op and you can't get this secretary to listen and direct you to appropriate help because she's just rude. If I'm going to put my life in someone's hands I don't want a moments doubt.

flutterby1966

Don't let it put you off surgery. I am sure there wil be positive and negative comments about all providers. Bad days can happen, and do, but its not necessarily indicative of how the overall service will be. Think positive :) x

Yvessa

Can we say she's a bully though?

Don't know but at the very least rather unprofessional. If the op has described it exactly then personally I'd be steaming and would have contacted her manager to see how they deal with it.

Dandelions

I personally dont think we can say shes a bully, more an over worked, over stressed stroppy NHS worker who had prolly just had a b*****ing for something she didnt do.

She obviously isnt the most empathic person on the planet but shes paid to be a secretary at the end of the day. She would prolly be mortified if she knew how much upset shes caused which is why I would calmly and quietly log the incident for her line manager to deal with appropriately.

Last edited:

sarahloveswelshcobs

I hope it was a bad day or wrongly interpreted.... :-(

I must say, I always found Prof. Ammori's secretary super to speak to and very reassuring before and after surgery

When I was struggling to reach someone on the team at one point, I contacted her and she had them call me back within 20 mins.