• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sharp pains in Left shoulder

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone. I had my op on Sunday and although am feeling quite a bit better, I keep getting this terrible pain in my shoulder. I have read on here about wind and have been using delflatine and Gripe water but if it is wind how does it get up to my shoulder? x

no idea how it travels up there other then air rises, but it is one of the things you are warned to watch for moving around will also help relieve you of the wind, gentle movement not expecting you to get uo and go for a jog ect.

Hi everyone. I had my op on Sunday and although am feeling quite a bit better, I keep getting this terrible pain in my shoulder. I have read on here about wind and have been using delflatine and Gripe water but if it is wind how does it get up to my shoulder? x

hi jeni, what your experiencing is quite normal, during the op they blow the patient up with air as it makes the op easier for the surgeon to place the band, so the pressure from being blown up puts pressure else where, they also pull you about a fair bit while your asleep, try walking alittle as this makes for a quicker recovery from the wind pains, the more you move/ potter around the quicker it will get better.

liz x

The fill you abdomenal cavity with gas, The gas used is CO2, which is common to the human body and can be absorbed by tissue and removed by the respiratory system, hence why you get pain in shoulder as this is roughly where your lungs sit.

Liz is right, one of the best ways to get rid of it is too move, therefore you breath more and expel more.

Thanks everyone, great advice as usual x

Sorry guys your all wrong, its not trapped wind in the shoulder, i know cause i had it and i found out exactly what it is !

The pain your experiencing in your left shoulder is a by product of laproscopic surgery, they are not sure what causes it, but lots of people that undergoing laproscopic surgery whether WLS or any other experience the pain in the back or front of their left shoulder.

The good news is it eventually will fade and go of its own accord, the bad news though in me it took about 2 months !
There's nothing they can do about it (i was told) but i found sitting with a heat pad on my shoulder helped !

That's v interesting Silversurfer, I wonder if there's some sort of nerve ending/pain receptor thing going on. It's bloody painful though. Hope mine doesn't last 2 months, it spreads to my left side as well if I do anything a bit awkward.

Hi I hope you get it sorted soon, I was lucky had neither wind nor the pain richard described....made up for the wind now though :rolleyes:.....xx

Sorry guys your all wrong, its not trapped wind in the shoulder, i know cause i had it and i found out exactly what it is !

The pain your experiencing in your left shoulder is a by product of laproscopic surgery, they are not sure what causes it, but lots of people that undergoing laproscopic surgery whether WLS or any other experience the pain in the back or front of their left shoulder.

The good news is it eventually will fade and go of its own accord, the bad news though in me it took about 2 months !
There's nothing they can do about it (i was told) but i found sitting with a heat pad on my shoulder helped !

oh well. i can only advise from my own experience, and i was told its gas pain and reflective pain by my nursing team, they are obviously wrong then and dont know there jobs ??:eek:, but hey ho maybe your right maybe me and caz is wrong, its good theres a couple of explanations, either way the pain does go away after what ever is believed to cause it, and thats the important thing. i shall inform my team of your explanation, as i wouldnt mind knowing why ive been given missleading info.

Last edited:

Mine lasted 5-6 days then suddenly wasn't there anymore. Mine was definitely trapped gas, as everytime I belched or moved about it got better.

Pain can be caused by many things, so no one is probably right or wrong here.

don't know if this helpsin any way, but I had an ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago and one of the main signs that the miscarriage I was suffering was an ectopic were severe pains in the shoulders...can't explain why, I was too out of it to know what the hell they were talking about at the time, but i'm curious now so gonna look into it x x x

i agree caz, its nice to have a couple of explanations.

well just had a quick look on net and it said as well as ectopic, this pain can be caused by gallstones...not saying your pain is gallstones, but its all in the same area so i suppose i've cleared nothin up at all but just shows that its op related and could be wind or just a side effect of surgery in general x x x

Just got this of a website:

After a laparoscopy?
You may feel a little sore around the incisions. You may have some pain in your shoulder tip. This is caused by the gas which had been pumped inside irritating the diaphragm which has the same nerve supply as the shoulder tip. This pain soon passes off. The length of time to recover can vary, depending on why the procedure was done and what operations were performed.

Lisa x x x

ectopic pregnancies also cause shoulder pain. Personally i believe swelling in the abdominal cavity presses on so nerves which end in your your shoulders.

I would hazard a guess that trapped wind/gas will only make the areaseem more bloated so would also contribute and possibly even cause it alone

I have this off the net:-

Shoulder pain
One of the most disconcerting things about laparoscopy is the subsequent shoulder pain. This is caused by the CO2 gas becoming trapped against the diaphragm. Heat and analgesics often bring relief. Be assured that time will take care of this pain.

god bless the hot water bottle x x x

I have this off the net:-

Shoulder pain
One of the most disconcerting things about laparoscopy is the subsequent shoulder pain. This is caused by the CO2 gas becoming trapped against the diaphragm. Heat and analgesics often bring relief. Be assured that time will take care of this pain.

good post caz, its what i was told also.

Just got this of a website:

After a laparoscopy?
You may feel a little sore around the incisions. You may have some pain in your shoulder tip. This is caused by the gas which had been pumped inside irritating the diaphragm which has the same nerve supply as the shoulder tip. This pain soon passes off. The length of time to recover can vary, depending on why the procedure was done and what operations were performed.

Lisa x x x

This may be so, but i was told directly by my consultant, that kind of knows his stuff that the shoulder pains is due to nerves being messed around and caused by laproscopic surgery, but hey take the gripe water, get yourself burped, or suck a renee if you guys think its going to help !

Trapped wind is not a sharp stabbing pain in the left shoulder ! i lived with it for about 2 months and its bloody painfull

No offence to you and what you went through but yep, that was just your experience and was probably something entirely different to what most of us suffer. It is not common to suffer for two months with pain.

There is no need to unduly worry new WLS peeps.

Back