• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shaw Somers

charliegirl

Last night I managed to catch Fat Doctor with Shaw Somers who I have heard has quite a fan club on here and I have to say I can see why what a lovely gentleman. He was so pleasant and not a bit arrogant like some of these doctors can be. It was also very interesting to see both procedures being done, could not believe how quick and easy the banding was. I wont be joining his club as I live too far away but it was very interesting. xx

I watched this programme too... Its interesting to see other weightloss methods in action! :D
I agree, he seems to be a lovely man, kind to his patients and not at all intimidating.
I was interested to see how bands are filled... it looks so easy!!

Hi spooky I wish I had watched the programme sooner when everyone was talking about it but I am a bit put off by blood and guts, the programme was from 2006 and the band cost £1,000!!! what must it cost now. I would have felt very safe in his hands and he was cute to loo...xx

im in his clinic and however nice he is on there times it by ten him and mr slater are both beyond doubt the nicest dr's iv ever met even the nurses on the wards are so friendly and helpful

Hi spooky I wish I had watched the programme sooner when everyone was talking about it but I am a bit put off by blood and guts, the programme was from 2006 and the band cost £1,000!!! what must it cost now. I would have felt very safe in his hands and he was cute to loo...xx

I heard it as the actual band itself cost £1000, the op cost the girl who had it done privately £6500 :eek:

Oooooh, my fav subject!!! :D

I had my bypass done at St Richard's by Shaw in July, and I feel extremely lucky to have him as my surgeon. He is the most kind, sensitive and talented Doctor I have ever met (and being a student nurse in London, I met quite a few!!!)

If you think he's lovely on the programme, then you should meet him in real life... he's 100 times better!!!

When I was having problems with Gall Stones two months after my op, he called me personally to talk to me and give me advice. He also said he would travel up to see me if I had to go into hospital, just to call any time, day or night. He really gives 150% to his patients, no matter if you are NHS or Private - to him, there is no difference.

One of my mates is his Private patient, and even she say's there is no difference in the level of attention and care we all get... to me, that speaks volumes :)

I cannot praise him enough, I really can't... :eek:

Oh, and I met up with two of my fellow Shaw's Girls members for a Spa Day - we had a fab time, and have become such close friends in a very short time. My whole bypass experience was truly life-changing... in so many ways!!!

:bliss:

x

PS I have changed my avatar just for all you Shaw fans ;) That's me behind him, just being weighed!!! :D

Last edited:
I heard it as the actual band itself cost £1000, the op cost the girl who had it done privately £6500 :eek:

The cost of the hospital, theatre, staff and aftercare is all included in that... it's not just Shaw's fee!!!

x

I have to say I was not at all nervous about my operation he gives you total confidence

I agree... the only thing I was worried about was the Aterial Line, and Mark Bentley was so swift and expert, I didn't even feel that!!! :D

Brilliant team...

x

I asked him why it's didn't hurt when they put the arterial line in-because they live you a local first. Due to have an operation on my sinus on 14th November and going to insist on the same treatment-even if I have to pay for the local. Don't see why we have to go through all that discomfort if we don't have to. Big problem I am looking for the same standard of care that I got from Shaw's team and I think I am going to be very disappointed.

I asked him why it's didn't hurt when they put the arterial line in-because they live you a local first.

I know... I watched everything he did, while he did it!!! He's great to chat to :D

Big problem I am looking for the same standard of care that I got from Shaw's team and I think I am going to be very disappointed.

That's the problem... once you've had the best, it's hard to accept anything else!!! :rolleyes: ;) :p

However, I am sure you will be ok - I've worked with several different Theatre teams in the past, and they all have their own way of doing things. At the end of the day, you will be safe. Just discuss any fears with the Anaesthetist and he should take that into account :)

x

he really is nice in the flesh its not an act for the camaras cant wait to go under the knife.
my wife spoke to our gp and they are not reffering to st richard fro se kent at the minute as the are all booked up. but will be agian in the future. as she is considering haveing the op after me if she doesnt start losing wieghtwith me after the op.
dave

I'm seriously considering a gastric bypass or band and Shaw operates privately near me i'm thinking about making an appointment to see him he seems so nice .

Sounds like a good place to start YM! He's a well respected surgeon so you'd be in good hands. Welcome to Mini's :D

I love watching Fat Doctor, gave me a great insight of what to expect pre-op. Shaw does seem really nice, very down to earth - actually had a good chat with my surgeon about him and he knows him personally and he said he was a lovely bloke too.

If I was going private and lived down that neck of the woods he would definitly be on my list.

One word for Shaw... fantastic :bliss:

OK... OK... you guys know me better than that, and know I can't stop at one word!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

Shaw did my RNY in July, and he is absolutely wonderful - kind, gentle, funny, sympathetic to the feelings and thoughts of his patients and a well-known, well-respected leading expert in his field :)

I couldn't have asked for a better person to do my surgery...

x

PS Membership to Shaw's fan club is closed at the moment, as we are at capacity, but try again in a few months time ;) :giggle:

Back