• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shaw Somers

hi all!

newbie here. can i join shaw's fan club??

i luv watching fat doctor. he is sooooo cute! the programme's good too he he!

does anyone know anything about him personally?

my daughter's got a huge crush on the guy and wants to marry him.

she'll probably have to wait in line me thinks................

blu

she'll have to get past Ollie first blu! and she's mighty fearsome were Shaw's concerned!

welcome to mini's :) are you considering surgery yourself?

My first reaction was the same as shel, Ols will get you lol....she is the protector at the gate with regards to him....welcome to minis I look forward to following your progress...xx

Luckily for you Ols has jetted off on holiday today, so if she's quick she might get in there!

thanks for the messages........... :eek: no i'm not considering surgery. i kinda see it as cheating!! ;) i'm doing it the hard way first. i can lose the weight, i just need to exercise consistently. i suppose if the end result doesn't come about, then maybe when i've the cash, surgery would be an option, but not until i've really tried it the 'normal' way first! :sigh:

i don't want to be thin, i just want to be size 16 with curves again, rather than the huge belly i've got now. i am considering trying reductil to give myself a boost, but i have to change gp's first.

what about you guy's? have you all had surgery?:D

I think you may get a bit of a back lash saying surgery is "cheating" it's a life saving requirement for me and many folk on here we have tried the "normal" way as you put it, I think you need to consider how you word things. It is major life changing surgery and none of us have taken this option lightly..

Lol Blu have to agree with Charliegirl! It's not cheating, it's a practical solution that has revolutionised my life already.

You'll find nearly everyone on this section is either pre or post op, as this is the surgical weight loss section :)

the dictionary definition of cheating is an act of lying, deception, fraud, trickery, imposture, or imposition. Cheating characteristically is employed to create an unfair advantage, usually in one's own interest, and often at the expense of others. Cheating implies the breaking of rules.
I certainly dont see what i am doing falls into this discription.
HC

CHEATING, CHEATING how rude!!!

That is exactly what my dad said when I said I was having the op and do you know why..... cause he didnt have a clue what the op entailed!!!

One person I know had the op done abroad. Her dad picked her up from airport and first thing he said was 'DIDNT IT WORK THEN?'.

My dad has now ate his words as he saw me eat nothing for a week before hand, had to go upstairs when my family was eating, miss out on 2 family occassions. Actually go through the surgery!! Now 9 days post op and still not eating just soup. The pain and discomfort!! Not to mention the £5k I had to find!!!

PLUS i'll never be able to go to an all you can eat chinese resturant again!!!!!!!!

I really dont feel that this is the easy option or cheating!! My stomach def doesnt poor thing looks like it has been stabbed!

I feel you really should get yourself a few books and have a read up on gastric surgery cause I think you will supprise yourself that its not cheating.

Everyone of us has tried the 'normal way' or the 'hard way' and we have resorted to this as there was 'no other way'!!

Dee

The only way anyone could say it's the easy way compared to the 'normal' way is if they've no idea. I think you should really read everyone's diaries who are post op, you might then get an idea of how hard it actually is.

For example: I'm 2 weeks post op, i have to eat pureed food for another 2 to 4 weeks. And that basically entails a diet of yoghurt, soup, mashed potato with gravy...and not a lot else.
If i was doing it 'the hard way' as i've tried many many times, i could still eat whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted, i wouldn't have had 41 staples, my stomach muscles would still be in tact, i wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant and the effects that would have on my belly, i wouldn't have the very real thought that if i did deviate from the diet for one day or even one small ocassion i'd be physically sick as i would be now, i'd still be able to drink alcohol when i go out with my friends, i'd still be able to pick my son up and play with him and get him in and out of the car (he's 15 months old), i could look forward to xmas knowing i could eat what i wanted, and then go back on my 'hard diet' after the new year, i wouldn't have to take 7 tablets every day for the rest of my life, the list goes on and on. Going on a conventional diet is definitely the 'easy way out', i can say that because i know, because i've done every diet under the sun, and making the decision to have very risky, painful surgery and the mental **** up that comes with it, and after it.... is the hard way, and i know that now because i've done that too!!

I think in this section, you need to be very careful with your words.

thanks for the messages........... :eek: no i'm not considering surgery. i kinda see it as cheating!! ;) i'm doing it the hard way first. i can lose the weight, i just need to exercise consistently. i suppose if the end result doesn't come about, then maybe when i've the cash, surgery would be an option, but not until i've really tried it the 'normal' way first! :sigh:

i don't want to be thin, i just want to be size 16 with curves again, rather than the huge belly i've got now. i am considering trying reductil to give myself a boost, but i have to change gp's first.

what about you guy's? have you all had surgery?:D

lol surgery is cheating but appitite suppressing tablets is not!!!!!

wow, you lot certainly jumped on my band wagon!!

i'm only giving my opinion of how i see surgery for myself!! i am allowed my own opinion you know!!! free speech and all............. but i'm not being rude as one said......... i'm just going to try it the, shall i say, the conventional way first. for myself, if i can't lose the fat, by proper eating and exercising, i feel that i've let myself down, by not giving the exercise and low fat eating route a real go?

i do know what the banding, surgery is about since i have done the research, worked in hospital theatres and do know what i'm talking about..

i take my hat off to those who have done the surgery bit, but i just don't feel surgery is an option for me just now, not to say that's its way too expensive anyway. i need to know that i can lose it myself and obviously, if i can't, then i will admit that and see my gp, but even tablets that the gp provides are a risk, and all surgery is risky.

yeh, i'd love it if i could lose my fat in the shortest time possible with out having to cut down on portion sizes, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so it's back to portion control and exercise, which i hate.

i've never actually stuck to a proper eating plan long enough to make it work and i'm doing it this time, even though its slow and time consuming and i hate being told what i can and can't eat and how much!!!!!!!

so obviously you lot are not cheating but for me, it's not the route for me just yet, but if i can't get it off within the next 6 months, who knows, maybe i'll have to give it the bird, and go the surgical route!

my sincerest apologies and many salaams to all those who stamped on me and may you all find that your dream size is just around the corner.

blu

You'll have to let us know when yours will be aired Vixie!

hi all know this is an old thread but shaw is lovely he made me feel so confident and at ease when he did my RNY last week he is a million times better than on the tv series which i will be on the next one after he begged me to do it lol

How are you getting on now?

You are so brave to go on tv...if Shaw Somers could not twist my arm!!!

I am thinking of going to him privately for a band...just building up the courage!

On a nosey level is Shaw married?

Hi EL81. Did you get my reply to your PM?

Hi, Sorry I thought I had replied back to you? I maybe did not wait long enough or something. Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful...I just want to ask everyone and know everything!

The thing is I know I am 100% about the op it is just deciding who and where to go.

Think, cost allowed, I want to go to Shaw, now got to decide between Chichester and Basingstoke! So many options!!

Hi EmmaL. I believe that Shaw's main practice is in Chichester. I know he has a big NHS practice there but not sure about private patients.

Back