• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should I change my mind?

hi i cant offer any post op advice but woud like to add that i too am waitin for surgery at walsall and there mortality rates are better than the national average and those that have been unfortunate have been so because of other medical issues not from wls (this is what i was told at my meeting with dr hartland). I think your family are worried fro you but maybe dont realise the implicaations of being overweight far out weigh those of wls. But the important thing is you need to make the decission and not your family and if you dont do it because they have said no you will regret it for the rest of your life. You have got this far and i think every one has had some wobbles pre surgery and most of us waiting will too.
Maybe if you sat down with them and explained what a day living your life is like ie the breathelessness the none existence of self worth or self importance the self loathing and not fitting into society and that this really is teh alst chance for you to do something before dying prematurely maybe they might see how selfish they are being by asking you not to have this op. Hope this helps a little.
Hi, Terri,
What info do you have re surgery stats at Walsall Manor?
What sort of medical issues could contribute to complications - any ideas?
Sue

Medical issues mentioned to me were heart problems, history of thrombosis/DVT.

yes it was severe heart problems that were pre existing and not nder control, and that they had 50/50 chance of not survivng either with or without surgery. the other thing that i was told by dr hartland is that wls surgery is unlike any other surgery in that if death occurs within 12 months of wls it is as a complication from wls but any other op is 3mths. so some of them may have had nothing to do with surgery and in the time he has ben at walsall the number of deaths was 3 in 5 yrs (or something very similar). The way he explained it to me was I had more chance of being involved in an accident on the way to see him than from wls. People think that I am mad for asking about this but the way i look at it is if im forearmed i am forewarned and can do things to help minimise those risks. If you have any questions ring and speak to dr hartland, he said any questions just leave him a message an dhe would get back to me, so im sure that applies to everyone else.

Hope this has helped if i can do anymore just shout

Hi crafty, it is perfectly normal to have doubts over the very hard decision you have made. i know i struggled with the whole decision and my family also were really worried.

the way i looked at it was my health was that bad as was my quality of life that i had to do something to address this and for me that only option was the bypass.

i worried that something would go wrong but i knew that if i didn't get my weight and health under control something would happen to me anyway! might seem really harsh way to look at it but that was the rationale for my decision.

i won't lie the firts few weeks i did struggle with the sickness and whole not being able to eat but as the weeks past it became normal.

i am now 7 months down my journey and can honestly say it is the best decision i ever made. my health and confidence has grown. i can go out socially and eat a little of what i fancy and can drink alcohol. i honestly do not feel i am missing out on anything. more improtantly i can enjoy my kids without being breathless and paranoid about my weight. it really has given me a whole new lease of life. my only regret is that i didn't do it earlier.

you need to do what feels right for you. do your research and make sure you are having the op for the right reasons. if you need any advice ask away love i do remember what you are experiencing now and i wish i had this forum to use before my op.

good luck with your decision x

yes it was severe heart problems that were pre existing and not nder control, and that they had 50/50 chance of not survivng either with or without surgery. the other thing that i was told by dr hartland is that wls surgery is unlike any other surgery in that if death occurs within 12 months of wls it is as a complication from wls but any other op is 3mths. so some of them may have had nothing to do with surgery and in the time he has ben at walsall the number of deaths was 3 in 5 yrs (or something very similar). The way he explained it to me was I had more chance of being involved in an accident on the way to see him than from wls. People think that I am mad for asking about this but the way i look at it is if im forearmed i am forewarned and can do things to help minimise those risks. If you have any questions ring and speak to dr hartland, he said any questions just leave him a message an dhe would get back to me, so im sure that applies to everyone else.

Hope this has helped if i can do anymore just shout

Thanks, Terri, This has REALLY helped. X
:):):)

Wow!! Thank you everybody.

Your so good, thank you all very much,
I've had a good chat with the family and offered to cancel, but they said that they know I need this operation.
So they're going to be brave and so am I and I'm going ahead on the 17th.
I'm almost in tears as I type this because you're all so kind and caring to reply.
Love you all!
Crafty

well done crafty, you must be so relieved to have the support from your family. your health will improve no end. my diabetes is now controlled through diet alone and that in itself has made me healthier and happier. look forward to following your journey x

well done crafty, its not an easy decision to make.

Hope everything goes well for you and look forward to hearing your experience

Keep us posted xx

Good for you crafty and good luck. x

Hi Crafty,
I just wanted to say Good luck and well done for making the right decision. Its only been 5 weeks for me since my Gastric bypass and I have already lost 30lbs, and feel so much better for it.
Good luck with your weightloss journey and keep us informed to how you get on. Hugs for you! x

good luck crafty !! this will change your life lots and you will be much happier and healthier to !

best wishes

liz x

It's very difficult, I'm afraid I've had it a bit rough. The weight loss has been great but the eating is a problem for me and the muscle loss causing weekness etc. I've also experienced leg pains due to nerve damage from which I'm still suffering.
Why I dont regret the op, I do regret not being prepared for everything that came my way. I'm not happy with the after care either, that has been rubbish.

Back