• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sickness after 8 weeks with balloon!

Hi

I hope everyone is ok?

Chrisa, Sorry for taking the comment off Facebook, but most of the people on there don't know I have had the balloon and don't really want them too.

I am still being sick every 2-3 days. I will be ringing the hospital tomorrow and hopefully I can talk to someone who actually gives a dam as to how I am feeling. Even after they kept me in hospital the week before Xmas, my next appointment is not till March! Did they really think that because my obs were ok then, that they would stay the same till March 19th!

I am now on my way to losing 5 stone since Sept and my energy levels have dropped to nothing. My legs feel so weak I have trouble standing and walking with my walking sticks. But I have to walk after I have had something to eat or even drink, to get the wind up. Even having sugar free jelly and milky coffee I am still being sick. Nothing will settle. I am still waking in the middle of the night choking on any liquids that have refluxed and that scares the living daylights out of me. One of these nights I am going to choke to death I know I am and they are not in the least bit concerned about it at the hospital. I don't think they believe me, but they should be here when I am going through it!. All I get told is sleep sitting up. I can't I have to lie down. I slide down once I am asleep anyway. Why is it no one will listen to me.

Sorry to go on, but I really need to see the psychologist now, not before I had this done.... Why do we get no help if we are suffering. I already suffer with depression and I am seeing my care manager on Thursday because I can't handle anymore of this. I feel I have lost control of my life totally, my meds are all to pot. I don't know what I should be taking when anymore. I need professional mental help now. This has all gone too far.

Sorry. xx

Oh dear what a nightmare. Surely you can tell them you want it out and they have to do it? Did you watch weight loss ward? There was a chap who couldn't tolerate a balloon and they took it out early as they were worried he would get dehydrated.

If the balloon doesn't suit you, it doesn't suit. You really can't go on like this. No wonder you are depressed! I agree with others who say it might be time to get it taken out. It is doing you harm, end of story. You need to get your life back, and you also need to be able to eat and drink in a health-giving way.

At the very least you need expert advice, and you need it as soon as it can be had.

All the very best, and please let us know how you get on x

Oh dear what a nightmare. Surely you can tell them you want it out and they have to do it? Did you watch weight loss ward? There was a chap who couldn't tolerate a balloon and they took it out early as they were worried he would get dehydrated.

I did see the program yes. I remember them saying that all they were doing was starving him. That's all they are doing to me now. xx

I have just spoken to a doctor at 111 and I have to raise the head of my mattress by at least 10" to stop the reflux. Can't do it till tomorrow as I am on my own and suffer with severe arthritis, so have to get someone round to help with that in the morning.

But where I have been told to drink water or diluted fruit juice. I have just been told that I need to drink the sports isotonic drinks or Lucozade to help replace the salts and minerals I am loosing when I am being sick. Just drinking water is diluting the ones I have left rather than increasing them. So not everything we are told is right!

Thank you for your kindness. It is so hard when you are on your own with no one to talk to about these things.

I still need to see my Care Manager to get my mental side sorted. I do think the professional mental support for all this WLS absolutely stinks! and something should be done about it. xx

Sort out your physical problems first, Chrissy, and then tackle the psychological ones. You may find that after even a short period of reasonably normal eating and (especially) drinking you start to feel miles better.

You've been living with distressing symptoms for so long you probably can't really remember what life was like without them - in other words, simply feeling 'normal', on an average day.

Honestly you have soldiered on alone for way too long and as you say yourself psychiatric aftercare for WLS patients is often seriously lacking. When you live alone - I do, myself - and have severe arthritis (I do, too!) living with nasty symptoms that make you feel thoroughly ill is scarier still.

You may not be able to raise your mattress but for tonight you can at least add an extra pillow or two, or a few cushions, to give you that extra 'lift'. Any port in a storm! Bear in mind that those drinks are being suggested to you as a means of replacing lost salts, etc, and those salts are being lost as a direct result of vomiting. Surely the way forward is to address (i.e. FIX) the cause of the vomiting? Bless you, it sounds like you've been through a real nightmare.

Whatever you do, don't allow yourself to be fobbed off. If you do not feel a real improvement with the bed 'trick' and/or the isotonic drinks, get back to them and keep at them until they have sorted you out.

If you were not so badly affected by the presence of the balloon you would not be experiencing difficulty in eating and drinking. You would therefore not have to endure so much sickness, which in turn would mean that you would not need isotonic drinks! Since they contain a lot of sugar you would presumably have been advised to avoid them when you first had the balloon fitted. You just can't win! Since at present you really need the electrolytes, potassium etc, be sure to have those energy drinks.

Take good care and let us know how things go x

Fingers crossed for you. Make sure you get the flat sports drinks, you don't want fizz causing you problems!!

Sorry to butt in but would Diorylite be an alternative, used to effectively replace fluids and minerals in people with severe diahorea. (apologies if the spelling is wrong).

Sorry to butt in but would Diorylite be an alternative, used to effectively replace fluids and minerals in people with severe diahorea. (apologies if the spelling is wrong).

Wasn't too sure about using it as due to lack of food I am not going to the loo at all. Plus depends what i tastes like. If it is not good, it won't stay down. But It is something I can ask about. Thank you. x

I am still waiting for the Bariatric nurse to call be back from the hospital. If I don't hear back from her soon, I will be taking myself off to A&E tonight. I can't go another night of no sleep and being sick. It is now every night around 3am. xx

Hi Chrissy, it was no problem to me I didn't realise you had deleted the fb piece till you told me on pm. I am sorry if i have let the cta out of the bag about the balloon, that was never my intention. I definitely think you have endured quite enough now both physically and mentally enough is enough. Hope the bed trick works and the lucozade sports, best of luck and keep on shouting nd posting I can't think of anything worse than enduring what you have and even more so on your own, God Bless and hope they sort it soon. Hope all goes well with your health manager xx

Hi Chrissy

Big hugs, i hope the nurse has phoned you and gets this sorted..

I wish i could help but can only offer you my support ..

Nicky xx

I rang my GP surgery and I am going down to see doctor at 2pm today. I am hoping perhaps they can get me back into hospital quicker that way. Anything is worth a try now.

I also need it arranging to see a psychologist again. I know that when the balloon comes out, my body is going to grab hold of any calories I eat as I must be in starvation mode now and I know I will put some of my 4 1/2 stone back on. That is not going to sit good with me. I can't put on weight after going through all this. I have decided I never want to eat meat again, I will be going veggie. I already virtually one now, as I have not been able to stomach meat since having this done.

Will let you know what the doc says..... Unless he thinks I am dehydrated and gets me into hospital. (I live in hope!)

There is a lady on another barriatric group that had a balloon, didn't get on with it and within weeks her kidneys stopped functioning due to the dehydration! That was only discovered because her family took her to A&E........

Hi Chrissy, it was no problem to me I didn't realise you had deleted the fb piece till you told me on pm. I am sorry if i have let the cta out of the bag about the balloon, that was never my intention. I definitely think you have endured quite enough now both physically and mentally enough is enough. Hope the bed trick works and the lucozade sports, best of luck and keep on shouting nd posting I can't think of anything worse than enduring what you have and even more so on your own, God Bless and hope they sort it soon. Hope all goes well with your health manager xx

Don't worry about it Chris. You weren't to know. I just didn't want you to think I was being stroppy or anything. :)

Care Manager cancelled this morning, coming tomorrow instead now. xx

Am thinking of ya Chrissy hope you get something sorted today its not good and its not right the vets would not let an animal suffer so why a human?? I f we don't hear from ya will presume you have been taken into hospital for removal fingers x xx Good luck luvly xx

Well..... I am still here. All the GP has done is dictate a letter to Mr Samier asking him to see me, with a view of removing the balloon. I now have to wait for a reply from that. Or, hopefully Sheryl will get back to be before then to arrange something. So, still have to suffer for another week or 2!

Please, please, please, let me have a sick free night tonight. xox

I hope you do have a sick free night Chrissy it is well over due best of luck and may God speed that letter to your surgeon xx

God speed, indeed! And may the outcome of this renewed activity be all you hope for, and more.

You have taken the bull by the horns and pressed harder for help. Thankfully that help is now forthcoming, rather feebly and very belatedly, but even so! Bear in mind that you can report to A & E at any time with severe sickness and inability to eat or keep down fluids. Dehydration can be life-threatening and taking action sooner rather than later is always a good idea. Don't be shy, don't be too fearful, don't feel you are 'wasting their precious time' - none of these apply. If you do go to A & E they may expedite your balloon removal by either removing it, themselves, or by writing a letter recommending urgent action by your Consultant. You have nothing to lose, and maybe a lot to gain, by trying this route.

Thank you for updating. I am worried about you, as are others here! When it comes to your health you must leave no stone unturned. First priority is to get free of this so-and-so balloon, and restore your basic health and strength. Then you can tackle the rest x

Hi all.

Well, I saw Mr. Samier this morning and I am going in on Thursday to have the balloon removed. I am now at the stage of being sick about 3 times a day regardless of how much I have had to drink. I am so glad he listened to me. The door is left open for me at the moment to continue with any further surgery. But he wants me to get over all this first. He said that my stomach lining is not going to be at it's best at the moment and to take things slowly when introducing food again after having it removed.

Today's weigh-in revealed that I am just 1lb off loosing **** 5 stone***** since the beginning of Oct. I just want to feel well enough to appreciate it now.

Will update you after the little bugger is out!!! :) xx

Absolutely fabulous news Chrissy so pleased for ya, bout bloomin time to enough is enough, bet you want to dance a jig but can't at the minute. Good luck for Thursday you can give us the low down on the 19th wohoooo xx

Glad to hear they have listened to you and hope you feel much better soon xx

Back