• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or bypass in 3 Days time. Which one??

wilko9999

HiI am having a bypass in 3 days however yesterday I starting freaking out about which vitamins are ok and the effects of malnutrition and how bad they say it can affect you. So bad that today I rang the clinic and said I want a sleeve. I will go fri with an open mind to get advice from the surgeon on both. Anyone have any advise please? I'd be very grateful.
Thankyou.

Awww I hope you're ok. You've done the right thing by calling them - the surgeon will tell you what is best for you - then the decision is yours. I'm sorry I can't give you any proper advice! :)

think its a personal choice as they both help loss roughly the same % of excess weight
good luck on your choice & your journey

It's a personal choice and your surgeon should guide you based on your eating habits. I love my sleeve and knew I didn't want a bypass. Others love their bypass!

Sometimes the surgeons "specialize" in one or the other procedure, so will try and talk you into their favourite operation, and it has nothing to do with what's best for you, only what's easiest for them.

That's why I chose a surgeon who did all the procedures and could advise me without personal agendas getting in the way. Having said that, I knew I wanted a sleeve when I went to see Mr. Sufi and he confirmed my choice was the best one for me. I didn't fancy my intestines being replumbed, and all the worries about malabsorption and dumping. OTOH I didn't want all the post-op faffing about that goes with the band either. So for me it was a no-brainer, and I couldn't be happier with my choice of the sleeve.

My only issue I have is with a massive difference of opinion that there seems to be on the topic of "can the sleeve stretch back?" My surgeon has a total bee in his bonnet about this and warns all of us that if we eat a mouthful too much, over time we risk stetching the sleeve. American WLS sleeve patients however, swear absolutely blind that it is impossible as the part of the stomach left after surgery is of the least stretchy part. I wish there was a definitive answer on this, as I find the fear of weight regain the most scary part of my life now.

Dear all who have responded. Many thanks for your replies and well wishes. I have to be at the hospital at 7am tomorrow for the big day. Scary but a must! I'm very grateful for all your input. I wish you well on your journeys and I will update you on descision I went with and how I'm doing. Take care. X

good luck wilko will be thinking of you, hope u have a speedy recovery xx

Good luck wilko, I had the bypass 5 weeks ago, couldn't cope with the thought of having a sleeve then possibly needing a bypass after it do just went straight for it !! My advice is sometimes, too much information can mess with your head. If u have researched both and know how both work then you'll be prepared for it. Personally my surgeon did both but reccomeded the bypass. Please feel free to message me
Any time, it's all still fresh in my head lol best of wishes, DO NOT WORRY you're in good skilled hands x

Rickysmrs thanks so much for your advice. I'm at the Hosp now all gowned up and nervous. Will update ASAP x

Good luck for today Wilko :)

What did you decide to do?

Thanks a lot. Just seen surgeon and I've decided to go with the sleeve! I hope I've done right but think I have. I was 40 last week so hopefully life begins for me now xx

It certainly will be :) Do you know what time your surgery is?

Good luck to you! I turned 40 a month after having my band. Since then, 7 months post surgery, I've lost just short of 8 stone. And I am now at a weight lower than what I have been since I was a teenager!!! It changes life in such dramatic ways . . .

I wish you the very best of luck with the op and recovery. I'm a sleever as I was simply not brave enough to have the bigger operation and more so because I was so worried about malabsorbtion. It has to be a personal decision.
Let us know how you get on. x

Lots of luck. Love my sleeve and I'm sure you will too x

AMOST 36 hours post op
Feeling pretty bad. Was sick x 3 lots of blood yest. Hurts to drink water. Warmer water seems to help. Please tell me this gets easier. Very tearful!
X

Hi Wilko, please please try be strong. In my experience , the 3rd day was the worst!! Things will get better I promise you, no pain no gain as they say!! Come on keep your chin up and think of all the positives, I know it's extremely hard when even drinking water hurts and you feel like your stomach is filled with bricks!! But it WILL get better x x x x

Sending you loads of hugs. I'm so sorry I can't pass on any experience but I'm sure someone will be along soon to put your mind at rest. From reading experiences on here I think the first couple of days are the worst and it gets better day by day. I know it's hard to think ahead just now but this is the start of a brand new fantastic life!! Xxxxxx

Every day gets easier just rest up.

Back