• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or bypass in 3 Days time. Which one??

Hope you're ok Wilko xx

You've had MAJOR SURGERY...you can't expect to feel amazing right away. Take it slowly, rest up, take little walks, take all the painkillers they let you take, it DOES get better all the time, and when it does, you'll suddenly realize why you've done this :)

Smile!!!

Keep your chin up and keep moving forward with your recovery. This so too will pass and things will get better!!! *smile* its a new beginning.. embrace every hurt and every success :)

Hi Folks. Thankyou all SO MUCH for your kind and helpful replies. I've arrived home today after 2 hour car journey which, to be honest, wasn't half as bad as I was fearing! My mum, Son and Brother are So Amazing and supportive. I've slept for 3 hours since being home and just taken pain killers water and a little amount of smooth yoghurt. The thing I'm most worrying about is the fact that I'm so far away from where I had my procedure done if I need any help, although to be honest, whilst I have a care package it doesn't include costs if for example, I needed re-admitting due to infection etc. this scares me a bit and makes me feel alone now I'm out in the big wide world. Sorry if it sounds stupid, it just helps to say what's bothering me.
I'm just resting now. Being a single mum I am constantly on the go, but for once I know I have to be sensible and rest!!!
My mum is looking after my son and I although I'm going to try and be maintenance free for her and just crack on with rest, some walking and pain killers :)
It truly helps having so many people on this site who have experienced it and who I can contact. Thanks again to each and every one of you.
Love Wilko xxx

Hi Wilko, glad you are home and resting :) Take care of yourself :) xx

Hope you're doing ok Wilko xx

Hope you're doing ok Wilko xx

Not so bad today thanks. Managed to stay up all afternoon and potter around. Have to wear my trendy stockings for 2 weeks and inject daily to prevent clots. Still very sore but made up I've not been sick again! Today I've had lots of water, some bouillon soup (practically just hot water) and 2/3 of a smooth yoghurt. Does this seem rather a lot for 3days post op?? I'm not sure although I guess fluids go straight through so hopefully no chance of stretching the sleeve?? Oh and half a slim fast shake too.

:) Totally love those stockings (joking!)... I'm not sure what's normal for 3 days post op - if you're worried you could call your provider :)

You're doing really well hun xx

Not so bad today thanks. Managed to stay up all afternoon and potter around. Have to wear my trendy stockings for 2 weeks and inject daily to prevent clots. Still very sore but made up I've not been sick again! Today I've had lots of water, some bouillon soup (practically just hot water) and 2/3 of a smooth yoghurt. Does this seem rather a lot for 3days post op?? I'm not sure although I guess fluids go straight through so hopefully no chance of stretching the sleeve?? Oh and half a slim fast shake too.

Well done and welcome to the sleeve :) Sounds like you are doing really well. Your fluids aren't too much. Have you been advised to just do fluids by your provider? Each hospital is different, as I was only on fluids for a day then onto purée for four weeks. I'm now eating normally, I had my sleeve op on 25th Feb. those early stages do pass so quickly you'll be pleased to hear.
But yes, keep the fluids flowing! x

Not impressed with provider

Thanks for your replies. My providers arnt much use at all. I have paperwork regarding phases 1,2&3 on what and when I can have things ie phase 1 is fluids, shakes, clear soup or smooth yogurts. For 1st two weeks. Phase 2= 2weeks puréed food then phase3= normal food in small amounts (5weeks onwards).
Apart from paperwork I Havant received any help from them. I'm supposed to be getting a post op phone call/ check up any day from a dietician but after speaking to them today there are only two and one is off sick! Hence I feel I'm on a lone journey. The surgeon and nursing staff at spire hospital manchester were faultless but sadly it seems that once they have your money, that's it.
I had no pre op dietician meetings, psychology sessions or anything like what I read on here but like I said plodding through and hoping I don't need my provider for any kind of emergency. I'm still made up I've had it done though and hope I start to reap some benefits soon :)

My only issue I have is with a massive difference of opinion that there seems to be on the topic of "can the sleeve stretch back?" My surgeon has a total bee in his bonnet about this and warns all of us that if we eat a mouthful too much, over time we risk stetching the sleeve. American WLS sleeve patients however, swear absolutely blind that it is impossible as the part of the stomach left after surgery is of the least stretchy part. I wish there was a definitive answer on this, as I find the fear of weight regain the most scary part of my life now.

I know it's odd, isn't it Ruthie. Mr Sufi's opinion is based on his own experience of all patients (and I am presuming a large component of that would be NHS Whittington patients) ..... some of whom I have *heard* anecdotally have stretched their sleeve -- but not directly from themselves, only from other people (usually bypassers) saying "Oh I know this sleever who started snacking big time on junk, could fit anything down, blah blah and had to have her sleeve tightened / turned into a bypass" ..... I have heard this a few times but only ever anecdotally and never from the patients themselves.

On the other hand I think we need to ask ourselves:

1. You are 18 months post op Ruthie -- has your sleeve stretched? (I am assuming not.)

2. I am one year post op -- has my sleeve stretched? Answer: No.

I still have great difficulty attempting to finish one 400 gram can of soup.

I don't know who these alleged "stretch sleeve" people are as I only hear about them anecdotally on occasional visits to the Whittington ..... and not from the sleevers themselves ...... and even if they do exist, I do wonder *how* stupid or determined would you have to be to actually manage to do that?

I think you would have to constantly be eating beyond the point at which it hurts ...... which would take really considerable stupid determination !!

I was down for a bypass changed my mind as I was going into theatre told surgeon I wanted the sleeve. I,m pleased with my choice but its up to you good luck x

Ah thanks I went with the sleeve too. However I've ended up in my local hospital today with a fast heart rate and they querying if I've go a PE (clot on the lung). On a drip for dehydration but on a mission to get out of here ASAP! Hope you are well on your sleeve and the weights coming off. Take care x

Oh Wilko, hope you're ok hun. Take care xx

Hi Wilko
Glad your op went well, but sorry to hear your on a drip in hospital
Try not to worry too much( after all your in the best place & they're sorting you out ),
Hope your out soon & over the worst of it all ;0

Hi All.
I'm finally back home and in my own bed :) There's truly no place like home especially when you feel poorly. Great news, I Havant got a blood clot on my lung. I'm made up. Will still need further tests to check out my heart but there's no rush with that so I'm a free lady. Hope all is well your end and thanks again for your kind support.
Wilko xx

Back