• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slow losses, hungry etc

pickle

Doing it for my boy!
Hey all,

Been a while since i last posted but i am 3 1/2 weeks post op and my losses have been quite slow, about 5 pounds in total. I appreciate that everyone is different but i feel under pressure from family, i think they get the impression that the weight should just fall off.
Don't know why but i just kind of feel quite tearful at the moment...i'm still on soft stage but lately find myself still eating chocolate or having fullfat hot chocolate justifying that because it goes down ok it will be fine. My hunger has come back considerably and i can feel myself slipping into my old ways. Just now i even munched down a packet of crisps, chewed and chewed until they were soft in my mouth and easy to go down....but i'm cheating my band.
I still don't think i'm eating enough to gain weight but i'm not tracking myself either....i just freak out when i start to count calories as it brings back so many bad memories from the dieting days.
I don't have my first fill until 7th july so until then i need to regain control otherwise this could turn into a costly mistake.
Can anyone identify with me?
Does anyone follow a diet plan alongside having a band?
I have thought about following atkins (carbs being my downfall) but i still need to be eating soft foods at this stage.

Help:(

Hi Pickle,

I can definitely identify with you there. I was on a real downer but after speaking to my dietician she refreshed me on a few pointers. I felt a bit less hungry on solids but my portions were creeping up. I had my band 5th May and had my first fill today so I am going to stick to the rules about textured food and leaving a minute between mouthfuls and see if that helps.

I can identify with you too. 3 weeks after my band I had lost 5 pounds too and felt disapointed.
I think everyone has the band blues after a few weeks. Because we have done something so extreme as to have surgery to lose weight, I think we expect it to drop off really quickly. for some people it does but most of us lose 1 or 2lbs a week.
You will feel better soon, it's just an anti climax after the excitement of having the band.
It's totally normal to feel hungry at your stage. Willpower is still needed, the band isn't a magic cure (which I was gutted about!). Working on the headhunger is a very big part of this journey.
When I went for my first fill apointment the nurse was impressed that I hadn't gained any weight. So don't worry and we are all here for you.
As for calorie counting, you don't have to. I don't for the same reason as you said. I don't want to live my life counting calories, but some people get on better that way. Find your own way.
XXXXXXXXX

Last edited:
No real experience but from what I have read this is very normal and nothing to worry about, we all react differently and once things are settled down it will be better

BigDave

Just get through the softy stage first and then you can pick the eating plan you like best, as you mentioned Atkins... I am back on that and I certainly don't feel hungry so much, cravings pretty much gone and sweet tooth is satisfied with sugarfree jelly (you could use that now to help you in this tricky bit)
This stage will soon be over , then the real work begins but at least you will be able to eat solid foods that are more filling xxxx
It is crap though, I totally sympathise! The band is for life (supposed to be!) so once you get this part out of the way you will be able to switch your focus on to finding the best eating plan for you personally and just looking forward to the band assisting you much more in future (it willxxx)

Thank you all so much for you lovely replies...it helps to know i'm not alone. Must be suffering from the band blues!!
I'm just going to sit tight and go with it i think...try and make the best choices that i can. I have a holiday coming up soon so that's something to look forward to.
Neen, you are right i knowi need to get through the soft stage before deciding which eating plan to follow.

Thank you all so much, i feel a lot better now:)

I think that's wise hun, take the pressure off yourself a bit and just get through the day in hand and try and choose good things that will help you for the majority of the time.
It will get easier and blimey...you are so early on in the grand scheme of things.
I know people can make you feel like you have to dazzle them with instant magical weight loss after surgery, but as you know, it can't work like that with a band in most cases. Do the best you can and explain to them how this thing works so you are not driven mad by other's unrealistic expectations....
gotta allow and prepare for stalls (not just one week....proper stalls that last weeks!) waiting between fills etc.
Relax and look forward to diets/eating plans being a heck of a lot easier after the band than they were before.

Poor Pickle!
i hated mushy stage more than liquid as the weight really slowed down coming off.
I cant count calories or follow a diet to the letter because any deviation from the rules (having crisps or bread) and i feel like a failure and eat even more.
I know this about myself from all my years of diet experience, thats why this time i eat what i want but try to watch my carb intake. Instead of having crisps, it try to have some meat or cheese. I find when low carbing that i dont get as hungry and 'need' naughty foods.
When you start on solids you will know more about your band.
I love salads & fruit salads when im on solids and the extra water in them really help me loose weight. I also feel better due to the 'goodness' and dont have an urger for 'baddies'

Yes, it would be nice to drop 5lbs every week and drop a dress size every fortnight but the reality of that is impossible unless you are on LL or cambridge.

My provider told me on my very 1st consultation that people who take the 'motorway' with the band journey are more likely to put weight back on or struggle to lead a normal life with foods when they loose their weight and have loads of excess skin than those who choose the 'scenic route'

Im 2 months post op and have just hit 2 stone, but this also includes my pre-op diet. I see from your ticker that you have lost 19 lbs? Thats brilliant!

Keep going and you know where we are when you need us!

Big hugs xx

Hi
I am 5 weeks out and feel pretty much the same, i have posted a similar post today, feeling down, eating all the wrong things and am just fed up with myself and my eating habits.

From what i can gather having your first fill really helps, so fingers crossed we get there soon!

Claire x

Poor Pickle!
i hated mushy stage more than liquid as the weight really slowed down coming off.
I cant count calories or follow a diet to the letter because any deviation from the rules (having crisps or bread) and i feel like a failure and eat even more.
I know this about myself from all my years of diet experience, thats why this time i eat what i want but try to watch my carb intake. Instead of having crisps, it try to have some meat or cheese. I find when low carbing that i dont get as hungry and 'need' naughty foods.
When you start on solids you will know more about your band.
I love salads & fruit salads when im on solids and the extra water in them really help me loose weight. I also feel better due to the 'goodness' and dont have an urger for 'baddies'

Yes, it would be nice to drop 5lbs every week and drop a dress size every fortnight but the reality of that is impossible unless you are on LL or cambridge.

My provider told me on my very 1st consultation that people who take the 'motorway' with the band journey are more likely to put weight back on or struggle to lead a normal life with foods when they loose their weight and have loads of excess skin than those who choose the 'scenic route'

Im 2 months post op and have just hit 2 stone, but this also includes my pre-op diet. I see from your ticker that you have lost 19 lbs? Thats brilliant!

Keep going and you know where we are when you need us!

Big hugs xx

Thanks for this, i think i've just been stressing out too much about it. I'm losing roughly 2 pounds per week which i'm really happy about.
I lost nearly a stone on the pre op diet so i can imagine that it must have slowed down since then.

The last two days i've just relaxed more about it and i feel much better mentally. Just trying to make sensible choices and looking forward to my first fill.

Hi
I am 5 weeks out and feel pretty much the same, i have posted a similar post today, feeling down, eating all the wrong things and am just fed up with myself and my eating habits.

From what i can gather having your first fill really helps, so fingers crossed we get there soon!

Claire x

Glad i'm not alone, when is your first fill? Mine is another 4 weeks but i've got a holiday inbetween to distract me :)

Glad i'm not alone, when is your first fill? Mine is another 4 weeks but i've got a holiday inbetween to distract me :)

Hi
My fill is next wednesday, so not long really, but am really sabotaging myself today! Think i may explode i have eaten so much crap!

have a lovely holiday, going anywhere nice??

Back