• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Totally new to all of this!!

Hi everyone, Im a total newbie to all of this and wanted to make myself a member now at the beginning of my journey to a thinner me.

I have only just been referred by my GP for a 10 week Weight Wise group, so nowhere near deciding what procedure to have and where to have it. Hoping to learn more in the coming weeks and months.

I'm in Barnsley, so hello to anyone near me going through this!! :eek:

Dont know where to start really so any advice etc will be really appreciated. I have a feeling I will be spending quite a bit of time here reading up on everything!!

Welcome & good luck. This is a great site, tonnes of info, advice & just a great bunch. Just read up & ask us questions.

Hi, Everyone is so helpful and friendly. They are all really knowledgeable.

Hi and welcome to the site. Good luck on your journey x

Hi there, I'm in Barnsley too, I've just had my op at Thornbury hospital in Sheffield.
if you need any advice at all take a look around the threads on here as there's always. Lot of great advice to be had, or just post your question, nothing is too silly or insignificant...and there's always some one along soon who can help!

Do you know yet which hospital you'll be at? I think most if not all of us Barnsley folk go though NGH in Sheffield .....just give me a shout about anything you need to know about appointments, etc there.

Most importantly .... Lots of luck on your WLS journey!
Em xxxx

Welcome and good luck :)

Hi everyone, thanks for the super welcome!! Evenstarr, was yours through the NHS, did you have to go to the weight management classes first? My GP has referred me to that, saying thats the way its done? Looks like a group about exercise, diets etc. How did the op go, all ok I hope xx

So, got my first appointment with the weight management group tomorrow afternoon. Its to pre-assess me. Hoping that they will refer me for wls asap and i dont have to go through the 10 week course. Will update tomorrow, wish me luck! :)

thanks bellydancer!

so i went for my assessment. I have to go through the 11 weeks weight management program, my first class is on tuesday night. Im also invited to the weight loss seminar at barnsley hospital on 19th September, so should know a lot more then xx wish me luck!

That sounds positive, I had to go to a weight management programme, my pct agreed funding but said I had to attend this before they would fund me for surgery. I did it and unlocked the funding, now on my way.
Sounds like you won't have to wait too long, others on here say that once you go to the seminar it basically means you have funding, I suppose all areas differ slightly, good luck with your journey :)

Thanks Taryntula, I'm looking forward to getting to my destination!!

Hi there, good luck on your weight loss journey. Wish I had done it years ago xx Liz.

so, quick update. I've been going to the weight management classes for 4 weeks now, lost about 7lb so far. havent been this week as I have been on holiday. I went to the seminar at barnsley hospital, it was very informative. Still convinced that I want the sleeve, hopefully they will agree with me. My name has been taken to have an appointment with the consultant at Barnsley Hospital, will be november or december they said, she will assess me and say whether or not I will get the funding, and then will be referred to Dr Ackroyd. So, hopefully I'm well on my way now and after Xmas I will be a lot closer to having the surgery and getting my life back!

So another quick update. I have now got my appointment to see the consultant who will be making the decision on whether I get the funding, its on 23/01/2013. Cannot wait now! :)

Fingers toes & eyes crossed for you. Good luck.

thanks JoeH and Bellydancer, I know Im only just starting on my journey but I am feeling very excited, for about the 1st time in my life I really want to take control of my weight and get to grips with it once and for all. Im 40 next year and really want to be thin and healthy!!

Back