• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Star duck is starting from the beginning!

Starduck

Hello!

I am a 26 (nearly 27) year old stay at home mom. I have been a yo-yo dieter for years, never dropping below a size 18 from the age of 13 :cry: funny thing is that my parents fed me healthy food, just in too big a portion. I was of the "clear your plate" generation. ((I do NOT push that one on my son! When he's done, he's done!))

I have lost weight through various methods; slim and save, Atkins, other VLCD including the pharmacy monitored milkshake diets, healthy eating and exercise etc etcetc but always fall back in to eating too much no matter how healthy.

Whilst pregnant, i was om a low GI diet and monitored as i had gestational diabetes and pre eclampsia. Following pregnancy, I was diagnosed with PCOS and fibromyalgia, along with a whole host of mental health things (anxiety, agoraphobia, depression) which all made it hard for me to motivate myself to keep going with weight loss.

The past three years since my little guy was born have been tough. He has cerebral palsy and ive been in the worst physical and mental shape of my life. I finally hit a point where i needed to make the change for me, him, my hubby and our lives together, and so was referred to the endocrinologist to try and sort out my out of whack hormones and finally get me losing weight and fitter.

I saw my lovely consultant for the first time last week, and she has recommended i get a gastric band. She has referred me to the bariatric clinic and for a two hour Glucose tolernece test (GTT). My hb1ac test came back as normal, nut she suspects i may have type 2 diabetes despite those results.

So .... I'm just beginning my life changing journey, and would love to have some other friends in the same situation :D its great to be here and i hope i will get to chat to a lot of you along the way xx

Hi and welcome again :) ( i thing we spoke somewhere before LOL) congratulations on taking that step hunni..... i can understand where your coming from with ME (chronic fatigue) depression, panic, anxiety, ptsd) trust e ny band has helped much more than i ever could have wished for..... its not only helped with weight .... my band is still empty, but its helped with all the other health issues to .... having the band has put my mind in a much more positive place, and given me some control back over my own life, which in turn has boosted self esteem and confidence. Like i said do you research on which op would suit you better, the band is blooming hard work............ i wouldn't change it for the world as i have learned so much about myself along the way. I'm always around anytime you want to chat and am happy to walk along side you on this journey :) there are loads of banders around who will too................. everyone here is such a supportive bunch all the luck hunni x x x x

:welcome: Starduck. Lots of luck on your journey.

Hello and welcome
I look forward to your next post

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I have chatted to you a bit crystal in the newbie section hehe.. I keep stumbling across you, you chatty woman :D its lovely to see everyone using different areas in the forum! I just wanted to plant my roots in here and write my whole story out step by step as it happens.

Im thinking i might do better with a bypass, for a few reasons (one being how shuddery i go when i think about the port haha! Can you feel it?! Can you see it?!!?) but im sure I'll get to discuss with the bariatric team and see what they think too. I am just grateful to be given the opportunity to be assessed for nhs funded surgery. My endo is determined I'll get funding one way or another, she's a great person to have in my corner :)

Thanks hun :D im feeling so positive after just looking at the funding criteria! Im calling to book my two hour GTT tomorrow, so hopefully get those results soon :) im nervous, obviously don't want diabetes but my blood sugar has occasionally been over 12mmol after meals (2hrs), and a confirmation would at least help me miss out the tier 3! Xx

Just wanted to say hello and welcome and good luck with everything x

Hiya Starduck, quite a story! sounds like you've had some challenging times but you strode through and you are stronger than you think :)

I wish you all the best of luck with the journey ahead!!

Thanks Sharon :D it has been tough but i have a fab hubby and am grateful to forums like this where we can vent and rant, and support each other xx

I just booked in my GTT at the hospital next Tuesday, thats the first hurdle for me - not overly worried as i already suspect i have diabetes (as i mentioned above!) and managed on metformin without issue when i was pregnant.

Bring on the next year!!!!!!

Welcome and good luck.

I have found this forum very informative with all the questions I had and have and still will have, and I am sure it will be just as beneficial to you.

Back