• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Still waiting for decision 3 months later

Carolined

my gp agreed to refer me for gastric banding at the beginning of november 2012, its now days away from Feb 2013!
I still have not heard anything. :cry:
My gp surgery manager is chasing up some response but she is also not having any luck.
She advises me it DOES take this long to find out if i will progress to the next stage (what is the next stage?).
I am 27, 21 stone and have chronic back problems, asthma, stomach problems, and have failed all other weight loss methods.
Is my age going to hold me back? I never seem to hear stories from people around my age? :confused:
I am at a loss, Honestly reading some stories on here have left me in tears, I am so frustrated, in pain and cant continue like this :break_diet:

hello, didin't want to read & run but cant give much advise re tha band, but it does take along time and all the time your waiting it seems to drag and drag on but it will come eventually x i dont think your age will hold you back either, its your health there trying to perserve so when your any age over 18 i think they consider you along with the next person x take care and keep smiling you will get answers soon xx

I waited 2 years for my op!! Check your referral hasn't been lost and then sit back and chill out. The NHs is not generally fast.

Check your paperwork has not been lost.
The NHS is slow but if you keep going back to your Dr with health issues they will chase for you.
If after 6 months you are still waiting to hear contact your PCT and get them involved.
Good Luck xx

I hope that you get some answers but I would follow it up. When I mentioned it to my own doctor they laughed - hence my private route!

Just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully some good news soon xx

Thank you everyone for caring to reply =) I do hope to continue to become part of this community....bear with me as i'm slow with getting use to new websites xx

Yes, there is definitely a wait with the NHS which a lot of us here have been through or are currently going through. Your age shouldn't affect anything so don't worry about that :) x

I finally decided on wls when I was 28. Had it when I was 29. Turned 30 smaller than I had been for most of a decade.

Unfortunately having surgery is not always a given. Its very much a postcode lottery. I've checked the criteria for Surrey on the BOSPA website, it says: Surrey - NICE Guidelines criteria. So on the face of it with your current BMI, you meet the funding criteria, have a read through the pages of the website for some ideas of what could be in store but also tips to help: BOSPA.org Good luck x

Hi

It might also be the GP that is holding things up without knowing it. Before funding is agreed you GP Has to show that you have tried all other options. When I was referred in 2011 they had to show I had been on all available medical options, been to see a dietician at least 3 times and had a psychiatric assessment. Without that they would not even look at funding. But once funding was agreed the wait for NHS surgery was only about 4 months, so they can work quite quickly when you play their game to their rules.

Check that everything has been done that should be done.

Also your area my also have other things that you have to do before the referral is given.

And when time comes for your referral find a Bariatric centre that is close enough to get to and has a short ish waiting list, you can do this under NHS Rules.

The first hospital I was referred to had a two year waiting list, so my GP put another referral through to St Rhichards who at the time where working to a 12 week list, and my surgery was done almost 12 weeks to the day after my first appointment with them.

The NHS can actually work quite well as long as you know how they work.

Paul

Back