• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling on pre-op milk diet

Andrea73

Hi All

Well the title says it all. I am on day one of the 5 day pre-op and can honestly say I don't think I can do it. I am struggling and I've got tonight and tomorrow night to work. AAAHH 2 nite shifts how the hell am I going to manage this on milk.

Any advice on what to do please....:wave_cry:

Hi Andrea - I wasnt told to do the milk diet pre op so dont know much about it, but just try and think of whats to come if you get through this 5 days! Try and look past the hunger! I know its hard and sounds easy on paper when in reality it isnt, but it will soooooo be worth it! Best of luck xxxxx

I can send you my 1000 calorie a day diet from the Whittington but thats a minimum of 2 weeks on it. All I can say is that its 5 days out of your life and you CAN do it! First day of any diet is always the worst. Hang in there!

Andrea,

I'm afraid the milk diet is not easy to start with but the good thing (as with vlcd's like Cambridge) it's a lot easier after the first 3 days. I suspect you are allowed some sugarfree jelly. That could break the monotony of milk. It's a good thing you're only on it for 5 days. Stick with it as it's vital.

i know I need to do it but how do I get through doing a nite shift. I'm not even that keen on milk......... Why does it have to be milk anyway??

i know I need to do it but how do I get through doing a nite shift. I'm not even that keen on milk......... Why does it have to be milk anyway??

How you get over the night shift? Chew sugarfree gum and drink lots of water, milky tea or coffee using your milk allowance. Keep some paracetamol handy as you can get headachy as your body adjusts. If allowed sugarfree jelly, get a couple of pots and have these when the going gets tough. Otherwise grin and bear it.

I guess the milk diet gets you to a leaner liver in 5 days faster than a food based low sugar diet would.

take your sugar free jellys with you to work and your oxo drink plenty of chewing gum and i found fizzy water a good send as it great for filling up with other than that cant think of anything its tough but well worth it

You can do it Andrea it is really hard but as it is only five days you will get through come on Andrea you will be fine and will be thrilled with the weight loss Good luck

Jay xx

Thank you all for the support. I'm going to Tesco before my shift to get some jellys - do you think I could get some satsumas or grapes??

Andrea, you shrink your liver by drastically reducing the carbohydrates/sugar you eat. This forces your body to use up its glycogen stores found in the liver and muscles. And so to answer your question, satsumas and grapes wouldn't be a good idea - think fruit sugars.

As everyone has said hun - you CAN do it, its just 5 small days out of your life! Drink pleanty of water and eerytime you think of food ave a drink. GL babe...you can do it! Your a star!

Andrea, you shrink your liver by drastically reducing the carbohydrates/sugar you eat. This forces your body to use up its glycogen stores found in the liver and muscles. And so to answer your question, satsumas and grapes wouldn't be a good idea - think fruit sugars.

What exactly is this Milk Diet???
I started my pre-op diet this morn, doing it for 3wk till my op (Mon Nov 2nd).
Mine's a low fat, small portion type of thing.

Hi Shell I think it varies from hospital to hospital, but I was sent this one.
Not following it as milk doesn't agree with me.

1 pint of semi-skimmed milk
4 small cans of weight watchers soup of other diet soup
4 muller lite yoghurts or other diet yoghurts
2 or more pints of low calorie (no added sugar or diet variety) soft drinks
tea and coffee using milk from allowance
water or flavoured water (no added sugar)
3 pieces of sugar free gum

What exactly is this Milk Diet???
I started my pre-op diet this morn, doing it for 3wk till my op (Mon Nov 2nd).
Mine's a low fat, small portion type of thing.

Good luck Andrea,

You can do it, dig REALLY deep :)

I'm 7 days into the diet pinky buttons just posted (got another 7 days to go) and whilst it has been hard at times, in all honesty I have not been hungry, it's the craving things that is the hardest. And to be honest the week has actually sped by.

I use the milk in milky coffee in the evening as my treat.
All the best Xx

Hi Andrea
I am on day 3 of my pre op diet only another 10 2 go!!! Put cpl lbs on with eating what i wanted so doing it for while longer. My diet is 1.1 litres semi skimmed, 2.4 litres water or caffeine free tea/coffee, sugar free squash and yoghurt no more than 250ml per day. Its so hard but just how worth it its going to be in the long run.
Good luck hun

Hi Shell I think it varies from hospital to hospital, but I was sent this one.
Not following it as milk doesn't agree with me.

1 pint of semi-skimmed milk
4 small cans of weight watchers soup of other diet soup
4 muller lite yoghurts or other diet yoghurts
2 or more pints of low calorie (no added sugar or diet variety) soft drinks
tea and coffee using milk from allowance
water or flavoured water (no added sugar)
3 pieces of sugar free gum

Hmmm
Not too bad i suppose.
Everyone kept goin on about this 'milk diet'
just wanted to know what they were talking about... lol :whistle:
Ta. x

I found this diet sheet earlier and it looks better than some of the pre-op diets I've seen. I assume as long as you stick to just one diet and it does the job of shrinking your liver that's all that matters surely?

Might help if I actually included the link! (I'm such a scatterbrain!)

http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_015756.pdf

Last edited:
Back