• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Subway Wraps

Sam00190

Im on the soft stage and 5 weeks out of surgery ( bypass) today i had half a subway Chicken Teriyaki wrap and even then i tore a lot of the bits that were folded over off. Some ppl are saying i shouldn't be eating a wrap this early but i thought that wraps were allowed at this stage if chewed well as better tolerated than bread and i chose chicken for the Protein. I haven't even dumped or been sick on it and i ate it 3hrs ago. What's peoples opinions on this as i cant find my diet book and cant speak to dietician until Monday as now i don't know wether to lay off them but thought it was a better choice than the bread. It was my very first one post op x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

wraps are a bit ambitious, but if you managed them I think its okay. I was pretty careful early on, but at my six week check was told to move on to more textured food as I was doing fine - I get the feeling that its more for the people who are struggling with certain foods. I personally wouldn't have tried it until my first post op check, but we're all different.

I tried it as was starving and a long wait in bus station after work as all my work had on was all food i cant eat or a sandwich. They had quavers but didn't want any of those. They usually have either a homemade soup or jacket potatoes during the week x

Could you not have had a salad from subway instead as you can choose what veg you have and maybe had double meat. I have learned to stay away from all bread as none agrees with my Band. I know theres different rules for bypassers but dont know the full ins and outs.

I am not eating wraps yet find salad very hard I take my lunch in with me flask of soup or soft cheese low fat and fridge raiders for protein also sugar free jelly or low fat rice pudding that's what dietician advised me to have for lunch
Good luck but think everyone is different and can tolerate different foods at different stages

I didnt have any salad as i dont like salad any i just had the chicken and the bread but most of that was torn off and still had some left of the half by the time i had finished as i think i was feeling full so threw it. Im still trying to get used to the new way of feeling full

After my bypass as we were heading to Spain on holiday I was back on full solids by 4wks post op with my dietitian's support & guidance. something's worked some didn't. As with everything post op its trial & error if you're not ready the body will let you know, just chew slowly & fully take it easy only try new foods at home incase of rejection or dumping & good luck.

Only food I have had bad time with is satsumas had half of one my god that's all I will say to bad the rest

My bariatric team would say a resounding no to this...and from.what I remember I would have too, be careful don't run before you can walk and check with your team....what looks healed on the outside takes longer on the inside xx

Hi

Not going to preach as that's not what you want but to me half a wrap at 5 weeks post surgery is a lot of food for one meal, when I had my bypass I had to do purée for 4 weeks and then mashed for another 4 weeks and could not eat much more than a ramekin size portion by the time I went onto solids at 8 weeks and even now at 10 months a tea plate size serving is a big meal.

Just be careful and remember although you said you where starving it was not your stomach telling you that as you don't get hungry with a bypass so it was just your head messing with you.

Just be careful and try to rein things in a bit for now.

Paul

I would reiterate here that everyone is different. While I personally wouldn't have chosen a wrap at 5 weeks, I was on solids by 6 weeks on medical advice because my team judged me ready. Secondly, I have always still had proper hunger since the bypass, and when I'm hungry I must eat. Its clearer now than ever - I can definitely distinguish head hunger. I think the OP knows its not an ideal choice, but given the circumstances, and the fact that she wasn't sick, it seems to have been okay. And some people can eat more than others - I've actually found my restriction is much stricter now than it was early on.

hi sam i was told by my dietitian to try toast after i told her i was fine on other foods an i was 3 weeks post op then now im 5 weeks post op and eat any normal food just smaller portions i guess everyone is diffrent x

All I would add is that this is true example of how diff we all are- I'm coming up to 6 weeks and they want me on solids by then and I can't see how! I can manage so little and feel so full but I also get hungry! I've had a sleeve and I just find that however well I chew even mashed chicken..it feels so tight when i swallow

Eve I promise that will ease. I was the same for a few months and had lots of pain/vomitting when trying to eat. Much better now. I read it takes 9 months for all the swelling to go down!

That's good to hear Victoria as I'm so tempted to stay with soups as its easy...but I know I have to move to solids...any ideas on good first foods to try?

That's good to hear Victoria as I'm so tempted to stay with soups as its easy...but I know I have to move to solids...any ideas on good first foods to try?

My first food after soups was runny scrambled egg then i moved onto mash n gravy

I had smash with cheese, the insides of a jacket pot with beans, tuna, cheese etc, just have 1/2 to start with. Rice pudding is good, tortellini, I can manage about 5 now! I made up a batch of lasagne and a batch of moussaka and froze mini portions, cannelloni with spinach & ricotta. Bolognase sauce, chilli sauce. Very rich things made me feel a bit ill to start with so take it slow and experiment. I also bought thinks in cans like chicken in white sauce, sweet and sour chicken and chilli etc. I loved mushy peas too!

It is hard moving off soups but you must, the sooner you start the sooner you'll be on normal food, you'll get better restriction and your body needs the nutrients. Anything else I can help with just shout

My advice is to try a little of what you fancy & remember if it doesn't work first time try it a few days or weeks later as it may work then.
Our pouches, sleeves, bands etc are temperamental things & can love or hate foods on a whim, things work or don't work one day & are the opposite another.
As for feeling hunger I have to clock watch & eat at meal times as it is far to easy to miss a meal as even now almost 17months post op I don't feel hungry or interested in food, if I do feel hungry its more head hunger than real hunger. Yesterday I was dealing with two weeks worth of ironing for 5 people I started at about 11am having had my usual cooked breakfast at around 8.30 after a lay in. Hubby asked what was planned for lunch at midday & went to sort it (homemade turkey pie, he forgot to use low fat spread etc in the pastry so not suitable for me in the end), leaving me to my piles of ironing. I finally finished at 4.00 with the last lot coming out of the dryer about 30mins later & being done immediately at about 3pm I realised what time it was & finally grabbed a protein bar & yoghurt I still didn't feel hungry but knew I should eat & it was easy to carry on ironing while eating those bits & finally had my evening meal at around 8pm still not hungry just time to eat let it go down before bed & sleep. It's very easy to get engrossed in something & totally forget food as it doesn't rate high on the priority scale as such anymore, I eat because I have to not because I want to. Food now has to look & smell tempting for me to be vaguely interested in it & even then its still not important. But when head hunger hits any crap I find works need to fight the demons & ensure everything I put in my body is the best I can find & at sensible intervals.

Really helpful all of you thanks! I had scrambled egg for lunch today and managed most of it and felt ok! It's such a relief to know I've had something "proper". Have a party at friends tonight and she's making soup and chicken and meat so think I may have to stick to the soup unless food really soft. May I also ask when you all went back to fruit and veg? Like biting into an apple or even soft fruit like melon strawberries etc? Thanks x

Back