• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tears of Frustration

Yvessa

Thanks Y. I was going through Patients Association. PALS are linked to the hospital and as none are local to me, I'm chasing my tail as to who to ask. Sudbury/BMI LOSS/Streamline whoever they call themselves are listed as private (although was nhs) so via BMI and Kings is London. I'm in Kent. I won't see Kings consultant til 2015 so surgery is way way away. Any other pointers? I'm truly desperate.
I would ask to speak to pals at the hospital. I would make sure you get a name at each phone call and if possible ask to speak to that person and write their name down. Even if they're private they're operating with nhs funding and will e held to the same guidelines and have the same accountability.

ICAWM

A little update:

I was getting nowhere with the first two hospitals so I went back to the drawing board and continued researching. Spoke to many hospitals, some more helpful than others and found one I felt really comfortable with, The Whittington Hospital in N London.

After speaking with the bariatric coordinator, I requested my doctor referred me here. Dr was off that week so it felt like eternity! I forwarded on all my letters from recipes hospitals, confirming Tier 3 etc and was offered an appt to their mandatory education session on 11th June.

I panicked when I had a missed call a few days later but it was the coordinator offering me an appt to see the consultant that same afternoon!

The journey from Kent to hosp was horrific but I made it. Most patients were just at referral stage so had yet to start Tier 3. When she said most people are looking at surgery in 18 months from the day, I felt despondent.

The session was good and confirmed to me that my research was sound and there were no surprises.

The irony was that session was held in a meeting through, accessed through 5 snack bars and restaurants!

Anyway, I had lunch in one of aforementioned restaurants and waited for next appt. I recognised consultant as he walked past (from my cyber stalking/research and remembered too late after a cheery hello and wave, that he's not net me yet.

He was lovely, ran through general questions and procedures. He said is need a heart trace and camera/throat job and I could feel the months stretching before me. Then he says "I guess you want a date from me". He got his calendar and said provisionally he's looking at 13th August. Is that ok?

Is that ok?! Hell yes, I was expecting more delays and nothingness, this is brilliant. He sent me for heart trace that day, bloods too. Other appt will be sent by post.

Blimey, I'm sorry, I know I waffle but I'm so friggin excited. 13th August. 3 days after 39th birthday. That gives me a year to be fitter for 40.

It's no magic cure. I know it's a long way to go and I doubt I'll be where I need to be at 40. But I sure hope I won't need a lap extender on a plane any more!!

princess4d4

Brilliant news finally hope everything goes to plan from now til then

ICAWM

Thank you. I have everything crossed. Well nearly - maybe in a few months, I'll actually be able to cross my legs again!!

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
OMG!! WTG hun that is fantastic news I'm sooo excited for you.:happy036:

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Thank you!

I still can't quite/dare believe it

Yep it kinda gets you like that .. I never believed it till I woke up done and dusted lol.. I'm really happy for you :D

ICAWM

Thanks Frankie & Mel.

Been looking at PJs on eBay today after realising how dire mine are, with holes, fraying and all sorts!

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Bought new pjs and never wore them as I was in a hospital gown for the full four days due to my long line drip etc being in the way :(

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Some lucky person got two pairs of unsullied pjs for a song at the local charity shop a month later. I couldn't stand anything around my tummy area for a few weeks and by the time I could they were too big lol

ICAWM

I'm a pj girl anyway so I've got some nice ones that are acceptable for being seen in 'public'. I'm hoping they will be too big soon enough but I'll enjoy them what I can.

It's still scary now it's all happening. I have pre-op assessment this week and hopefully thumbs up for op next week. Eek

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Good luck hun :) x

HRR32

Hi there, PALs are usually really good - the 18 week wait is used for most treatments however there is a 'loop hole' in the patient charter which says it can be longer if it is 'deemed clinically necessary'. If you are having problems with nhs funding to go to private hospital then you are best to contact PALs for your local CCG (clinical commissioning group) as they would be able to look into this. Hope this help xx

ICAWM

Hi there, PALs are usually really good - the 18 week wait is used for most treatments however there is a 'loop hole' in the patient charter which says it can be longer if it is 'deemed clinically necessary'. If you are having problems with nhs funding to go to private hospital then you are best to contact PALs for your local CCG (clinical commissioning group) as they would be able to look into this. Hope this help xx

Thanks for this. The issue I had was that different PALS apply to each of the hospitals so there's no consistency or joined up working. I'm (fingers crossed) scheduled for surgery next month at Whittington so watch this space!