• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

think I've ran out of tears :-(

Hi all! well what can I say I am GUTTED!!! Went to see the surgeon on wednesday! When I first went to see him he was happy with what I wanted and all funding was ok and was just a waiting game! BUT since september sheffields BMI range for surgery has gone up to 50! mine is 46 so I have now been denied surgery :sigh::sigh: so so so sad!! there has been lots of tears to say the least! I don't know what to do next!! sorry for the miserable message just needed to tell you!! xx

So sorry your funding has been denied. I know Sheffield has made tighter guidelines. The groups that I attend are normally 20-30 strong each month, next week there are just 11 people to see :(

So sorry to hear your news. Perhaps you can appeal.

Don't know wat to say Hun apart from so sorry to hear this :-( xx

I am so sorry for you, its terrible news. My thoughts are with you as everyone on here can tell you we all have had to fight against the odds for this life saving op. I hope you find a way around this and think you should push for exceptional circumstances for funding. Anything I can do to help let me know

So sorry to hear your news. Did you have a letter saying that your funding was ok. If so, contact the PCT and they may honour it. I'm in Manchester, when our criteria was changed the PCT honoured my funding as it had been agreed prior to the changes. Have you got any co-morbidities that might help your case?

Rebirth

So very very sorry to hear this... I hope you do appeal and get the funding you need for this life changing surgery!

Many times when 'normal' people see a larger person you hear the comment '' how can they let themselves get that big'', well i'm sorry with funding criteria changing like yours i can think of one very good reason to put weight on! It's wrong, so very wrong!

Im with everyone else hun, Im really sorry you have been denied surgery. It seems so unfair when you were already on the journey. Do look into appealing and see if there is any reason you could appeal. Like rebirth says if you have any letters saying you have been accepted they might honour it. ((HUGS)) XX

I'm really disappointed for you too... there have been some successful appeals on grounds of other issues... maybe you could start by talking to your GP again and formulating a complaint there were a couple of lovely wls ladies on the forum here who successfully appealled, look out for Lisa and Vron... they have had excellent appeal letters posted on threads here...

The very best of luck to you and sending love and hugs xxx

How awful for you, to think you were so close to then be denied it due to a change in criteria. Of course you're totally gutted you poor thing. As others have advised, an appeal is probably the next route, but no matter what, don't give up. One of the ladies I met who had her surgery the same day as mine actually had to put on a bit of weight for her to meet the criteria in my end of the woods....not advocating it necessarily but thought I'd mention it....xxxxx

I thought that ppl that already had funding and had been accepted for surgery were expunged from this criteria change, I know its sad for you as I would be devastated also, its like saying because the waiting times are so long you have been penalised,If you was only at the beginning of your surgery I would understand their relunctancy to grant you even the funding/surgery,its just so wrong on every level when everything has been agreed. can you not appeal ???

I'm with Rebirth on this one sweetheart. If you had already been given the go ahead with the funding then I would have thought they would carry on and keep the new bmi guidelines for new applicants. Give them a ring and see where you stand. Good luck xxxxx

I am so sorry hun that is awful.Not fair when they said you could and suddenly change their minds you would of thought it would start from the begining with the change of bmi not half way thru the system.

Hugs

Jo
xx

did your surgeon actually go so far as to apply for funding or had he just said it would be ok? Mine said I'd be fine then I got refused. I'm under 50 bmi too and don't have the comorbidities needed to get me the op.

Back