• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Telling the workplace

I am in the precess of waiting for a date for my surgery, my clinical manager was ok with me when i told her what was happening before I had all the appointments, I bumped into the person who does my rota at work and she saito warn me that if I get a date for the op that in anytime in august that my clinical manager will get me to cancel it and get another one as there won't be anough staff to cover, ( i work in the hospital where the op will happen and we have staff that work term time only), I just wondered if there is anyway she is actually allowed to do that. I am back at work next week so will try and catch the consultant and see what he says, I want this done sooner rather than later and don't want to another few months for a date when it does actually come through. He may be able to get me a earlier date I don't know

Short answer is no.

No matter what the operation is for. This is a medical procedure. The NHS are giving you a date and that is that.

The Rota person isn't your manager so cannot say that to you! Speak to your manager now and ensure they understand when you get the date you get it. And that is the date you're sticking to. It's hard enough to get a date.

When is ever a good time for an operation? Never. So erring all ways comes up.

Don't worry what people say. And don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Xxxx

Hope you get your date soon xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

If it was up to the rota person she would ok it, she has been through the wls process so understands and didn't say it to be awkward but just to warn me what the clinical manager would say.

The consultant when I saw him said he will move me up the list as I work for the nhs, i work in the operating theatres, three theatres away from where I will be having the operation. I will be having a word with the consultant when I see him in passing at work and explain what has been said. The thing is if I get a date fore before august it will probably work out that I will be off sick in august anyway recovering from the operation, and theres no way I am rushing back as my job can and is quite a physical and heavy one, thanks for your kind words

I told absolutely everyone, for a few reasons. The first being that I had long gotten past the point where I was ashamed of needing help to lose weight. The other was accountability. If everyone knows it does give you a lot of focus and people have always been so complimentary which really can lift me up.

The last is much less personal, but in some ways more important. Although weight loss and surgery is a very personal thing I feel we have a responsibility to refute the appalling stories that we see constantly in the media. I can't change those stories, but I can educate people, one person at a time. And maybe, by doing that, it will help another person get support from their families/friends.

I can count on one hand who I have told about my bypass, and I have only told my closest friend at work I work in a building with 80+ people, and I am afraid to say the reason Iv not told people is YES I am embarrassed.
WLS has such a stigma attached to it that it I am embarrassed to discuss it with narrow minded people, and whilst everyone on this forum is supportive and knows exactly how bieng overweight feels sadly most of my day to day contacts have no knowledge on the subject. So for this reason I have kept it private to me and my immediate family only.
If I am asked in time how Iv lost so much weight my answer will be.....blood, sweat and tears which lets face it some days that is not a total lie.

I work for the NHS too and have only had support. I came off the on call rota whilst I was doing the liver shrink, had 6 weeks off sick and only went back on call after I had been back 2 months. I also told everyone, I was past embarrassment by this point. I have had no negative comments whatsoever, everyone has been really supportive. I am amazed by how unsupportive some workplaces are, especially the NHS. But this is a medical procedure and should be given the same consideration as any other. They will have to sort cover for you, after all they would have to if you suddenly went off sick with a broken leg or whatever x

Another NHS employees here, told everyone, and had nothing but support. I have no regrets about being totally up front about the op. It made things easy, no awkard explanations, and people are genuinely curious. I have had the opportunity to educate a great many people, including a vast array of junior doctors! My manager supported me throughout and I did end up having 11 weeks off. But I work on the stroke unit, and I wanted to make sure I was in tip top condition for my return. After I returned I did not have a day of sick for nearly a year. So I would day it was a good investment, lol.

I've been really surprised by the reaction i've had from some of my closest friends. Especially friends that are pretty much in the same boat as me weight wise so i thought they would understand why i want to do this. But instead of support i've been ridiculed. One friend saying i'm ridiculous and told me i shouldnt be allowed to go to slimming world if thats what i intend to do as its cheating and not fair on the other people in the group. People can really shock you!! But on the flip side my family have been incredibly supportive and behind me 110% and a couple of other friends have also been great. At the end of the day i guess it boils down to just being about me and for me and forget what other people think x

I'm new on this sit so there is a lot to read. I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience but bit is people's lac of understanding. It has taken all,of us on here a long time to reach a decision to have surgery after all it not like choosing a new dress, and I bet none of them would put themselves though this because they are not brave enough. The most important thing is that this is for you and no one else. Good luck with you weight loss

I work in an environment where everyone knows your business. My 2 close work friends know and my manager (and HR) but other than that I have kept it quiet. I know in the end it will come out one way or another but it is what it is! Once it's done it's done, and I am proud of myself for doing it.

So you should be. No one has the right to judge you and unless they have been in the position then they will never know what has brought you to this choice and just how hard its will have been to get here.its not an easy option it's took me over 2 years to make mine.

Last edited:
Back