• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to drink on nights out after bypass

I tried Diet Coke ones with all the fizz out, it tasted even more chemical. So I don't miss it much either.

Hi Yvessa, I previously had a band, now 4 weeks away from bypass surgery.. I could still drink Alcohol with my band and I used to drink Magners which are quite gassy.. Luckily I don't drink much so it won't be a problem not drinking once I have my bypass x

Hi Yvessa, I previously had a band, now 4 weeks away from bypass surgery.. I could still drink Alcohol with my band and I used to drink Magners which are quite gassy.. Luckily I don't drink much so it won't be a problem not drinking once I have my bypass x

There is a lot of debate on this - some dieticians warn that the fizzy can stretch your pouch. Others warn that alcohol can go to your head too quickly. And others warn that you may end up being guilty of overeating under the influence.

Ultimately it's personal choice and personal responsibility. I don't drink alcohol anyway, and I gave up the fizzy. I don't miss the drink itself, I just miss having something calorie free to drink on a night out.

I have to ask....so NO booze .....at all.....forever????!!!someone let me know

I have said its a personal choice. I chose never ever, others drink casually with no problems. But choose with all the facts. Post op we are at high risk for other addictions.

I do enjoy a few voddies on a weekend but its no biggie if I have to knock them on the head which I will do for at least 6 months, and after that I will see how I go, tbf I'm more sorry to say goodbye to my diet cokes than to booze lol :D

I have to ask....so NO booze .....at all.....forever????!!!someone let me know

Aside from the empty calories, I think bypassers have to be very careful as they absorb the alcohol much more quickly. Many (like Yvessa) decide not to drink at all.

I think it's one reason why I could never have a bypass! I love a glass of wine now and then.

I really like J2O, when I get back to having occasional weekday meals out, I will stick to that.

In my experience having an alcoholic drink after bypass is not too bad. I was nearly 6 months post op before I did drink. I have only had a drink 4 times so far, lol. I found that I get tipsy (and it is only tipsy) very quickly, within a couple of minutes, but the feeling doesn't last for more than an hour and then I'm sober again. On the one occasion I had more than one (3) drink over a period of some hours it was unpleasant because the accelerated reaction meant that i had a horrible hangover before I even got home! Lucky I was a moderate drinker before, so I dont often miss it.

I do wish pubs would have NAS available, it would save me a lot of calories.

I drink very rarely now since having my bypass 3 years ago.
I tend to find the smallest amount of alcohol goes straight to your head..I get flushed and feel tipsy almost instant.
I find I get tipsy then sober up about 3 times within the night and start with a badhead at the end of the night rather than in the morning.
And this can happen when having just an tiny amount of alcohol throughout the evening.
It's made me not want to drink to be honest now,I just don't like it going straight into the system and the after affects.

im pre op but i buy crystal light in little sachets that can be chucked in a bottle or big glass of water

its a sugar free powder you add to water to flavour it. its an american thing but lots of sites online sell it

hawaiian punch and wylers light and gatorade propel also do the same sort of thing

I managed two cranberries with more ice than u can imagine, sipped my drinks and then had iced water, I had the best night, lots of laughs and no headache the next day, still managed a 5 am start with my munchkin and still managed to be the life and soul of the party, sooo just call me fun time Frankie minus the alcohol FIST PUMP up in the air to victory :D x

Back