• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to drink on nights out after bypass

Danielle <3

Hi all was wondering what people did post bypass on a night out. I have a night out coming up in 2 weeks . I am fine with alcohol as I don't drink anyway however I am struggling to think what I will be able to drink when I am out. Before I would stick to diet coke but obviously we cant have that now because of the fizz. I would order a cordial but I have a feeling they may be high in sugar, has anyone got any suggestions other than plain water in every bar x

I have diet coke poured over ice which takes the fizz out or I have lime and soda, again over ice.

I have orange juice but get them to put it in large glass and top it up with water x

Does it take the fizz out ? has the lime not caused any problems with the sugar ? just don't fancy asking for water in every blumming bar nor do I want to stay in for the rest of my life haha :D x

I have J20s, and ask for a large glass and lots of ice.

Does it take the fizz out ? has the lime not caused any problems with the sugar ? just don't fancy asking for water in every blumming bar nor do I want to stay in for the rest of my life haha :D x

No probs whatsoever, for me anyway! The ice takes the fizz out xx

I also normally have fresh orange juice with water, and some places do have sugar free squash.

So glad you asked this question Danielle as I have a night out three weeks post op and a cruise 7 weeks at ps op... I imagined me sitting there with a glass of water as. Haven't a clue especially as NAS juices make me feel icky.

Oh forgot to add that my fav drink at the moment is half an j2o in a large glass topped up with water ...felt a bit embarrassed when I first asked for it but I have no probs now but I'm just not sure if this drink will still work post bypass.

Last edited:
well I think il give it a whirl was even contemplating taking a bottle of contra band juice in my bag, don't fancy getting thrown out for a bottle of Robinsons hahahaha :D my friends will be downing the vodka and I will be sipping my iced water and juice and my diet coke over ice and stir the fizz out hahaha :D I have lost my jlo booty tho so might have to pull out some killer moves to make up for it :D x Thanks dolls x

So glad you asked this question Danielle as I have a night out three weeks post op and a cruise 7 weeks at ps op... I imagined me sitting there with a glass of water as. Haven't a clue especially as NAS juices make me feel icky.

Oh forgot to add that my fav drink at the moment is half an j2o in a large glass topped up with water ...felt a bit embarrassed when I first asked for it but I have no probs now but I'm just not sure if this drink will still work post bypass.

This is what I have as the j2o tends to make me dump if not watered.

well I think il give it a whirl was even contemplating taking a bottle of contra band juice in my bag, don't fancy getting thrown out for a bottle of Robinsons hahahaha :D my friends will be downing the vodka and I will be sipping my iced water and juice and my diet coke over ice and stir the fizz out hahaha :D I have lost my jlo booty tho so might have to pull out some killer moves to make up for it :D x Thanks dolls x

:rotflmao:

I can see the head lines now "local women caught dangerously flouting with the Robinson's " hehe

Fortunately I'm not big on alcohol so not going to miss it too much.. But the idea of sitting there with my water on the rocks is just plain dull lol

Haha :D yes that was me too and i can imagine it will get quite boring, il feel like im living life on the edge when i start mixing my drinks hahahaha. I am not that bothered about the alcohol been there done that my eldest is 6 she has ADHD and is awake from 5 am every morning so the alcohol does nothing for me x

I have to be honest it does feel boring but usually the company makes up for it.

I thought it J2O is quite sugary, can you really have that? With water of course...

I only drink a small can worth when im out over the evening and its diluted over 2 x pint glasses.. I have suffered greatly with reflux since i have had the balloon & which most juices really aggrivate it. It took me 4 months to find something that i could actually enjoy to drink. I just cant tolerate NAS juice i literally am sick when i try... and believe me i have tried loads over the past 6 months. I have only just become accustomed to drinking plain water and it is only just lol.. I love soda water but that is just out of the question with the balloon and with my future bypass. I did my homework and calculated that my Apple and rasp J2o has roughly 18g sugar ... the equivelant pure juice or even orange juice comes in a bit higher at 25g for the same amount. My J2o is not ideal but for the occasional monthly night out not too bad..i would just sit with a few coffees before and cant remember what 3 or 4 of them equated to but i do remember it was just as high.... along with the caffeine:D
Problem is what happens post bypass which is why i am so pleased Danielle raised the thread.

A good one is to order a cranberry juice, a big glass of ice and a bottle of water. That will set you up for most of the night and it taste nice. Especially if you add lime wedge to it. I wouldn't try the diet coke out early on, when your pouch is still healing it's really tight and you can never get all the bubbles out no matter how much ice or stirring you do so It will hurt.

I have lime and soda on ice and stir it lots!

I can't have fizzy - it hurts still at 15 months out. So I don't have a lo of options. Wrt j2o I can only have it watered and I sip slowly. Otherwise I do get a bit dumpy. Also it does get better the further out I get. A friend suggested diet still lemonade. But it's hard to find.

thanks eve :) I have never drank much in the way of sodas so again its no big miss for me either. It is going to be a bit of a steep learning curve for me though finding out what works well without dumping. Interesting times ahead haha

Back