• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The implications of sleep apnoea?

Numi

Hey, as part of my assesment my doctor at the weight loss clinic wants me to have a sleep apnoea test as the screening result came out quite high. I'd never thought about sleep apnoea before and put my tiredness down to my mental health issues and the medication I'm on (though truth be told, I've been on medication so long I couldn't really compare an on medicated me to an off medicated me!)

I've been doing my research and am getting a bit concerned. Health issues aside (I hope they'll get better as I get thinner!) it seems you aren't allowed to drive while you have sleep apnoea until it's treated? I'm so bummed out by this as I get my annual bonus from work next month and was going to put it towards my first driving lessons but I feel I need to wait till I get tested and get my results now :(

This aside, are there any other implications I need worry about? And if I do have it, is there any treatment other than the obvious "LOSE WEIGHT!" that could be administered so I can get on the road?

Thanks for all your help :)

Numi

Hi Numi can't comment on the driving implications I'm afraid as I don't drive but I can share my experience of having sleep apnoea. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea during me pre-op tests as I was apparently having around 90 episodes per hour! I had been extremely tired for ages & was struggling to stay awake at work and never saw the end of anything I watched on TV! They put me on a CPAP machine with a nasal mask as opposed to a full mask and I hated it at first but once I got used to it it definitely helped get it under control. When the nurse downloaded my results I had gone from 90 episodes an hour to fewer than 1 on average while using the machine.
Due to some complications I have had since my gastric bypass I am on a feeding tube and therefore unable to use the CPAP machine but hubby says all my symptoms have disappeared since losing 4.5 stone. Ultimately losing weight is the answer but CPAP therapy does help in the meantime with a bit of trial & error. I'm sure someone will be able to advise on the driving issue & good luck to you for getting it sorted :) x

Hey, as part of my assesment my doctor at the weight loss clinic wants me to have a sleep apnoea test as the screening result came out quite high. I'd never thought about sleep apnoea before and put my tiredness down to my mental health issues and the medication I'm on (though truth be told, I've been on medication so long I couldn't really compare an on medicated me to an off medicated me!)

I've been doing my research and am getting a bit concerned. Health issues aside (I hope they'll get better as I get thinner!) it seems you aren't allowed to drive while you have sleep apnoea until it's treated? I'm so bummed out by this as I get my annual bonus from work next month and was going to put it towards my first driving lessons but I feel I need to wait till I get tested and get my results now :(

This aside, are there any other implications I need worry about? And if I do have it, is there any treatment other than the obvious "LOSE WEIGHT!" that could be administered so I can get on the road?

Thanks for all your help :)

Numi
Hi - it depends on how severe your apnoea is. Mine was very severe and yes, I wasn't allowed to drive until i was treated. As soon as I was though I was allowed back behind the wheel. You must inform dvla and insurance and your premiums may go up. £1000 fine if you don't and you get caught.

back last year while receiving in depth investigations for chronic migraine they discovered I had sleep apnoea but not sleep apnoea syndrome - there is a difference, when I first attended and they said I should try a machine to see if it helped with the migraines, I was told that as soon as the machine is being used you are classed as being treated and while you can drive you do have to inform dvla.

The machine never worked at all for me, and I saw the consultant before Xmas who said it wouldn't do as I don't have the syndrome. I don't feel tired during day, fall asleep etc etc and as such as. Don't have the syndrome and as the machine would not help, I did not have to continue with it or inform dvla.

They will inform them if you don't but you can always start your lessons or wait and see - unfortunately the treatment didn't help the migraines I was suffering, but. Was incredibly angry at the first doctor I saw who was quite threatening with how she told me they would take my licence away if I didn't undergo the treatment with the machine. So you have to have treatment and for it to be under control . . .

Even my gp said they wouldn't as I didn't have the syndrome, as it is I'm an insomniac, have 2-4 hours sleep, but do look into this, see how you get on.

The machine made me so ill, and the consultant said he wasn't surprised because I didn't have the syndrome to treat!

Last edited:
dont worry you can drive with sleep apnoea, im a coach driver :) xxx

Thanks everyone for your reassurance, I was banging my head with frustration when I read about that as it seemed a bit of a nail in the coffin considering I've been getting so excited about having my lessons!

dont worry you can drive with sleep apnoea, im a coach driver xxx

Not quite sure how to feel about that since I'm getting a coach on Saturday ;) haha thanks so much for your reassurance :)

Back