• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The NHS process

Lucy_Jucie1984

Hi,
I was referred by my GP for wl surgery two weeks ago. I have a letter to attend a weight loss seminar next week. What happens after this? Do I have to see a dietitian, what is the process,my doctor didn't seem to know what hurdles I have to jump to be funded? I hate the unknown lol any advice would be,u h appreciated x

Long road I'm still on it 3 yrs on you will be weighed at the seminar then an app for a dietitian where you will be set a target and they talk about your eating habits another wait to see consultant if you keep to targets it will proceed if not they can discharge you and refer you back to the doctors or they might send you to see a physiologist who really just finds out why your eating habits are the way they are as long as he's ok with you having surgery and you've kept to your targets all is ok the surgeon will discus all procedures and together you will decide what is best for you good luck hope this helps I'm just waiting for my date said 6 month waiting list that was in January deb

Where do you live? The procedure varies HUGELY area to area. I'm sure its just to confuse us!!

I'm at Sunderland. My sis in law has just had hers, she waited 8 months from seminar to operation, so it looks like it varies in different areas.

I also wonder if it's to do with age? She is 35 and seemed to get her OP quickly, where as her aunty who was 50 kept getting knocked back and waited and waited she eventually went private.

I was also around 3 years from start to finish. I'm in Cornwall referral by Gp appointment with consultant, then the leap active team (help and advise in exercise) several group sessions talking about portions, food types, and goal setting etc final group session to explain the procedures, funding then aggreed, saw the surgeon and his team, put on waiting list 18 weeks then done :) All areas seem to operate in completely different ways, some are a lot quicker. My advise........... follow the rules and the advise given, and use your waiting time wisely :) research and prepare. For me the waiting time was painfully slow but i took full advantage to make sure it was right for me . Gl and all the best x x x

It's amazing she's lost 7st in 12 weeks, she looks amazing!!! My BMI is 44 so I really hope they agree as I've been big since I was about 11, 2 years ago I lost 6st by starving my self, but I just started to eat again and put it all back on, I am just not able to maintain my weight losses. Good luck everyone else, I will keep updating through the progress.

Took me 16month from seminar to bypass at Sunderland every day felt like a month my whole life was on hold-- worth it tho (most days)

I think it's deffo down to age, the younger you are the quicker it seems to be, well in Sunderland it is, a lady I work with had it done she waited 7 months from seminar and she was 32 with one child, apparently that pushes you to the top of the list if you have young children, this is all hearsay though, just what different people have said , I hope so as I'm 29 and have a 3 yr old and a 9 month old.

Not that I agree with this, everyone should have the same opportunity to be on the list equally (didn't want to offend anyone x)

Many they think the younger you are the easier it is to stop bad habits with the food I'm now just waiting for date as I said 6 mtgs waiting list from January trying desperately to stop my smoking not very good at it at the moment debx

im under birmingham and its 18 weeks from consultant to op and 2 weeks from seminar to consultant or thats what it was may have changed since i saw them last

Yeah something on my letter said no longer than 18 weeks. Yeah I think smoking may hinder your waiting time, I think they look at each case and weigh up risks and obviously age? I gave up smoking 3 years ago so I know how difficult it is. How much weight do they ask you to lose roughly, just so I can prepare my self?

not sure as everyone is different they may ask one person to lose say 2 stone but ask the next to lose 2 pound i wasnt asked to lose any just told it would help if i continued to lose some

Hi a quick update. I went to the seminar and I was told waiting time is 1 year or more depending on waiting list. I was told about the new gastric loop bypass which has been done in Sunderland for only a year now but has less risks than the bypass. I was told I had to ring tomorrow to confirm that this is the route I want to take Nd then I will be givin an appointment with the gastric surgeon and dietician. In this appointment they will decide what the best surgery is and how much they want me to lose. They said that only after the endoscopy that you are put on the list. I'm happy with all of this and I'm nervous and excited to start the journey

They also said people with BMI over 50 will automatically be granted the surgery.

Just a quick update, I've got my appointment with consultant and dietician 27th March and bloods on the 21st March so it's moving quite quick , apparently the process does slow down after this appointment but so far so good, need to start making healthy choices and control my portion sizes. I

Hi, ive got my first appointment with a dietician in tne morning, my gp referred me in january, will i have to go to a seminar after this?? Hate not knowing lol, good luck with your journey, did they tell you to lose any weight? X

Back