• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The worst insult

Zionaka

Another thread got me thinking about the worst thing I have heard someone say to someone who is overweight.

Many years ago, at a family gathering an older family friend of my parents was greeting everyone on entering the room.

My cousin (Who is a BIG man) came in and spotting him she shouted at the top of her voice (broad Jamaican accent) "Ohhhhhh look at you, you could fry in your own fat"

Well, the room fell deathly quiet, my cousin tried to laugh it off and make light of the insensitive comment, but I was livid and told her in no uncertain terms just how rude she was!

whats the worst thing someone said to you or someone you know?

Oh dear... how hurtful and shameful. I've been called plenty of things in my time, but felt the pain with that one...

I was always 'thunder thighs' and 'Big Bev'... and still am...

Love and hugs to everyone and rise above this dispicable labelling and insensitivity.

Thinking of everyone xxx

My sister (the same one who got my mum smoking again) always introduces me as her 'little sister' rather than youngest sister. This is a deliberate act she knows what she is saying!

I got the Thunder Thighs comment too Bev. Always hurt. My parents have always been awful to me about my weight. They still are and continually tell me how fat I am even though I know I am not.

Luckily for me apart from kids being cruel at school i have never come across any form of bullying because of my weight.
Im not saying that there hasnt been comments... what im saying is that i have never ever heard of any.

How cruel can this world be.

I am very tall and have always carried my weight quite well.

How awful for anyone to have come across nasty name calling or bullying of any sort.

I am not someone who is easily opinionated and would never ever hurt anyone elses feeling, no matter what.

I do have my thoughts but they stay firmly in my head....and i always try and think carefully before saying something, especially if i have been asked for my opinion.

I would always be truthful when replying but not to the degree of dam right hurting someone.

Im thinking of all the people out there who have suffered discrimination of any sorts as it must have been devastating for you. xxxx

Goodness me... Daisy... people are so unkind at times to each other... it's unnecessary.

On the other hand, I always remember my precious and dear Mum saying ''Everyone is looking at you when you walked in the room''... and afterwards she said it hurt her to say it but she was hoping to 'shock' me into doing something for myself... I was at my heaviest then and I remember becoming really low after that and I told my Mum about the negative impact this had on me... she wasn't ever an unkind woman in any way, but tried to give me a kick... and it just kicked me nearer the biscuit tin....

Hurtful remarks seem to stick with us and I'll never forget anything said to me... but I do tend, as I've got older to be able to 'turn the other cheek' better than I did in my youth.

Love and hugs xxx

The 'little sister' jibe is plain mean.

As I have an awful memory If people have been rude I have soon forgotten it.

But the one that stays from Secondary school is Fatty Patty.

''I got the Thunder Thighs comment too Bev. Always hurt. My parents have always been awful to me about my weight. They still are and continually tell me how fat I am even though I know I am not''. - Fashionably Late

I'm so sorry to hear this Angel and you are doing so well... you should be given all the encouragement in the world.

Sending a humungous hug to you precious... xxx

I was Atkinson and school Hence Barrel Fatkinson, I just ignored it, they saw no reaction so stopped.
My sister is mean, her own family disown her I am the only one who really contacts her now but that is me as I find it hard to be unkind to anyone (bit like you Bev). I will put some thoughts of my sister in my diary when I get round to uodating it, might make it easier to understand

I understand entirely Daisy... love and hugs xxx

The worst I have ever felt was on my birthday 2 years ago, my husband had booked a table at an Indian restaurant in town, as I am not a drinker I drove into town and parked up at a car park a short walk away. On the walk from the car park to the restaurant a car with a group of young men drove past the rear passengers stuck their heads out of the window and shouted whey hey fatso as they drove past us. I just stopped dead in my tracks and turned round and headed back to the car park in tears, and have not been out for a night out from that day since.

Sue

Awww Sue, your day will come and that is another disgraceful example of ignorance... I'm so sorry Angel and don't feel on your own... I have been 'gawped' at for years... it's become a way of life for me... our day will soon be here and we'll feel better in general.

Love and hugs xxx

mine is while sitting in distress in my warrant officers office, after losing a bay, hime turning to me and saying

you know what kel your stunning imagine how much better you d be thin, you ll have the men hnging off you..

how disgraceful, to talk bout my weight when id just lost a baby

I was at a party and was being introduced to a group of people when one man said "man are you fat" I just said "and your butt ugly but I can always diet" the whole group turned and laughed at him but I still remember the pain I felt.

Sue, the thing is with the people that make those comments, they are no oil paintings themselves. Look at that daily mail story the other day (my husband won't let me get fat or some such trash)
You are worth ten of them and you really should try and not let it get to you. It spoiled your night out, they've won.
Kelly, your warrant officer was just and A***h**e. My guess is he just could not cope with your news so thought he was paying you a compliment. Arrogant t*****

Oh Stella, I love those comebacks. Trouble is I can never think of them when I need them

Oh dear I have a few which are always hovering in my mind.

My mom looking at me one day when putting a little sauce on my dinner she had cooked adn saying with venom in her voice ' You bloody pig'. Her telling me she would knock some of that fat off me. My brother in a room full of family at a christening shouting from the other side of the room ' Lin leave some of that trifle for someone else'. We had just literally walked in the house through the kitchen diner after the service. I had absolutly nothing to eat that day I was so embarrassed. No one laughed at his comment but oh my goodness how powerful were his words!

Linski xxxx

Insensitive b........ and I'd have said to the 'warrant officer'... ''I'm reporting you for further training''... Kelly, that's not what you want to hear at a time of such loss.

How I wish I could be quick off the mark with a good 'one liner' Stella.. maybe we could devise one and memorise it since I don't retaliate at all if I'm put down, I think I have just got that used to taking it... but as I've got older... I can turn the other cheek more easily that when I was younger...

Love and healing hugs to everyone, we are all worth much more than this xxx

I would have gone home. I have no time for petty family anymore (especially after my mother's and my other sister's funerals)
Family, just because you are related don't mean you have to like them!

Back