• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My diary

Maura

in 2 days i fly out to belguim
oh cant belive it... i fly out on tuesday (2 days) and my op on wed. i am so nervous. the thought of being put out under anaesthetic. i know this is something that has to be done. i want my happiness back. what a journey to go through tho! tomoro will be my last blog until i am a bandit... arghhhh. afraid of the pain that i may endure. will buy the neurofen meltlets tomorrow (melt on tongue pain relief). i will enquire what sort of mouth sprays i can take as i know i will be Nil by mouth. reading everyone elses diaries is inspiring, but reality is setting in. I am going to be Banded and its scary :eek:.... all your lovely comments really do keep me going... talk soon xx:wave_cry:
24th april 2011

That it guys..... hope to see you on the losers bench soon
Oh my goodness, this is my final blog entry to my diary. I am off to Belguim tomorrow morning. I have a few bits to get before i go, most important one is pain relief.
had a lovely walk yesterday and can say i have lost 10lb in the past 3 weeks.
Had a few too many drinks last night, and had a good wee night. very nervous about the op, but with all my friends here and your comments have all given me the strength to go through with my op.
reading ur updates have inspired me and now its my turn to get my life back and thats what it feels like knowing i am going to have a band.
I come back from belguim on friday so will be in touch once i am back. If there is wifi in the hospital i will try to use my mobile to keep you all informed of my progress.
I just cant believe its my turn for this.:eek: I hope I dont freak out as they wheel me down... stay calm, stay calm....
Anyway this is me signing out. I will see you on the other side of the losers bench.
Hopefully my diaries will inspire all you who are considering the gastric band.
as what Arnold said "I'll be back". LOL:D
25 April 2011

I"m a Bandit! hi guys I am back!
well here I am on the other side. I am a bandit! Had the operation on Wednesday in Belguim, arrived home this morning (friday). Am very sore to the left of my side, which is to be expected. All went well. Have had plenty of sleep yesterday and today and am now walking about, very slowly. My husband picked me up from the airport and i was very tearful. i was walking like an old woman. Anyway, i have lay in bed, watched a bit of the royal wedding, and been sleeping. I have now woke up and felt fit enough to get dressed and hug my kids. well give you a more detailed account of my trip tomorrow................
29th April 2011

My op in Belguim, and now i am a Bandit
Hi everyone, well here I am, on the other side and ready to give you my story. This is to all who I have met on this site, but also to any newbie out there unsure of what to do about their weight loss.
As most of you know I went to Belguim for my gastric band op. I have a friend from Belguim so it was ideal. After researching I learnt that the level of hygiene in Belguim is maximum, and the price of a gastric band was saving me at least 2500 pound to go there. I learnt that because the gastric band wasnt a difficult op that I would only need to stay in hospital for one night, but the company also recommended, or shuld i say insisted, that I stay a second night in a hotel, before flying home.
So everything looked postive for going to Belguim, especially when flights were costing just 60 euro for a return flight.:) So i booked my operation 4 weeks ago and thats when the race was on.Them 4 weeks flew in.
I kept posting on this website, and getting encouragement from all the guys on here. As well as writing my diaries, I was also reading everyone elses. It was so inspiring to read peoples experiences through weight loss surgery and how they were now coping. I felt it was "my turn". I felt strong flying out to another country for wls.
My hotel was basic but clean. The consultants agent visited me the night before my op and told me the procedure. He was very nice. He then told me to go out and have a nice meal and a drink, as long as I didnt eat or drink from 12 midnight. SO my friend and I went into Brussels and had a lovely evening.
Next morning I arrived to hospital, and was checked in and brought to my ward which had 3 beds, 2 other girls were there for the op too. I met the consultant who told me what he was going to do throughout the operation. He spoke very good english and i was assured that I was in good hands. he has preformed 5000 gastric band operations.
At 230pm I was taking to the operating theatre, obviously I was nervous but because I had to lie completely flat on my back i couldnt see much around me as my chest was in the way lol... thank goodness. Anyway the team were all so very friendly and spoke excellent English, then a lady said to me, goodbye,,,, and I was gone. I awoke in another ward with pain on my left side, which they immediately give me pain relief and it put me back to sleep.
Next morning the consultant visited me and told me quite straight, that it was up to me now. He told me the band was an aid to lose weight but it would be up to me how I used it. I left hospital that day at 230 pm, still very sore and tearful. I wish my husband was with me for reassurance but my friend picked me up and I stayed in her house, (straight to bed) until the next morning where I got an early morning flight.
It wasnt easy walking from aeroplane to exit doors. the airport was huge and wheeling my suitcase wasnt good. I met my husband and he hugged me, while I cried . I was soon in the car and back in my own bed where I slept most of yesterday and all of last night...
Today i cannot believe how much better I feel, I am more rested. I still have pain in my left side but its bearable.... I have today to eat
  • water
  • yoghurt drinks
  • tomato soup
  • tub of devon custard
Do I feel hungry? I am not sure if I am hungry or just missing food. I am on a liquid diet for 2 weeks.

Would I recommend having the operation abroad?
If you like me couldnt get NHS to even look me, then i would go abroad. If i had to do it again, I would definelty take my husband with me and definitely stay an extra day. I know theres nothing as good as your own bed, but i really wasnt fit for flying yesterday......as the song goes "what a difference a day makes".
Now I am looking forward to healing and getting better. I am looking forward to losing weight and getting my confidence back. I will keep you posted on my progress throughout this. :)

sat 30 April 2011

Last edited:
Hi Maura, hope ur keeping well after ur band op. I had to fly back to N.Ireland from Birmingham - its a pity u didnt book assistance - someone told me to do it to make it easier at the airport. They wheelchaired me to plane - no steps to climb up and at belfast city airport they took me down from plane on ambulance lift which was a godsend.
Good luck for ur recovery xx

I thought putting all my threads together would be helpful for people who havent read about my journey. I am on day 5 post surgery. Pain is decreased thank god. I can wait to sunday so i can get "mushies".
Went to see nurse today who checked my wounds and has me booked in for next monday to get stitches out. OUCH! I am well on the mend.
As i say i am 6 days post op, and guess what? I went back to work today. I really didnt want to take any time off so I arrived back after the easter break. Still tender and I found the day ok. I am still on pain relief, although today I havent taken as many.
I am still on liquid food.......but am getting sick of actimal and mullerlight yoghurt. I had chicken soup for lunch and had ambrosia custard for my dinner. I am drinking water as well. Will weigh my self on saturday and hopefully have some weight loss, then onto mushies on sunday. cant wait.

Hi Maura, hope ur keeping well after ur band op. I had to fly back to N.Ireland from Birmingham - its a pity u didnt book assistance - someone told me to do it to make it easier at the airport. They wheelchaired me to plane - no steps to climb up and at belfast city airport they took me down from plane on ambulance lift which was a godsend.
Good luck for ur recovery xx

didnt even know i could have done that. i had to walk on the blinking stairs carrying my case. I see your doing real well, well done xx

i didnt know either until day b4 i was flying home - was def a godsend.
Yeah, really happy with loss so far - have dropped from size 32 to 24 and able to go yo gym now - def no regrets.
I def think our futures are exciting following surgery.

Whereabouts in N.I r u? I am in co antrim

so now its 10days from my op. I am back to work (4 days ago). I am not on any pain relief now at all. hurray! I get my stitches out tomorrow, not looking forward to that but it will be another hurdle crossed.
Today I had my first meal... my lovely sunday dinner, mushie form. I had a small amount of roast beef, a large spoonful of mixed veg, (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) and 2 scoops mash potato. I ate the roast beef first, it was so tasty, it melted in my mouth (even if I say so myself lol), i then ate the veg. I took my time, as i was waiting on getting that brick feeling in my chest. However it all went down quite nicely. But when i had finished the vegetables, I couldnt put another thing in my mouth. I was completely full up so I left the potatoes to be scraped into the bin. That is a result. I normally have to finish my plate, but I really couldnt get another thing. That dinner was 4 hours ago, and I am still full up. I will not be able to eat another thing until tomorrow. I am still drinking water.

Tam had mentioned the fitness pal on her blackberry. My sister downloaded that a few months ago and says its great, so I have downloaded it and started using it today. Its brilliant. You enter what you have are and it works out how many calories you have eaten and how many you have left to eat. so if you have a blackberry phone try to download the ap "my fitness pal" and its a free ap.

So its been a great first week for me. I have my first stone off. I feel positive in myself... bring on tomorrow!!

Oooo your lunch sounds lovely - I am on liquids for another 10 days yet :(

The Blackberry ap sounds good, I will see if they do one for the i phone.

You are doing well - keep it up!

now almost 3 weeks post op i feel as if i have my appetite completely back and i am worried. firstly, i was paid off my job on friday and very upset about it, but weighed on sat and had 5lb off so that cheered me up. so have spent mon and tue busy shopping and housework, but i noticed today i dont feel as content when i have had a meal. i actually picked up a packet of Doritoes in the shop today... i couldnt belive i done it.......but yes i put them back. i have been peckish all day. i booked my fill yesterday and they cant do it till 4 weeks time......i am afraid incase i start putting on weight again. i have a tracker on my mobile to record all i eat and i have to say its really helpful but why am i not feeling full? will it be like this because i havent had a fill, or is it because i am annoyed about losing my job....HELP

Well done on the weight loss hun its amazing, you may have felt more hungrier because as you said you have been real busy with shopping and house work burning off those calories, and bl**dy well done on resisting those Doritos's mega high in carbs they are, try upping your fluids/protein too keep those hunger pangs at bay. HTH Julie xxx

Hi Maura,

Well done on your weight losses you are doing great.
When i lost my job last year i put on 3 stone so be mindful of it, i know how it can effect the mind.
However, i didnt have a band when i put the weight on, and if i did have one, it wouldnt have been anywhere near that.
I would use this 'free time' you have to exercise loads and get more weight off ready for those interviews!
Exercise will laso help you feel really happy and happy = weight loss!!!!

Good diary and nice to hear all is well with you.

2 days to me weigh in and i am feeling alot more positive than my lost post. been doing alot of walking, which as they say is good for the soul. keeping tracking with my fitness pal on my fone which i have to say is really keeping me focused. am trying to stay positive to get a job. wont let the lack of a job make me go to the fridge. thats the old me, straight to cupboards when feeling low. stay focused maura stay focused xx

Good diary, it makes smashing reading. I think you make a really good point about having assistance on the flight when on your way home.
I wonder if there is a way that that bit of info could be made more prominent on the forum for those who are pre overseas op to be made aware of.
Well done on your weightloss too, and long may it continue for you. Good luck in your job search too.
Lynne x

well guys, got weighed this morning and i have lost 1lb, bit disappointed but not devastated. continuing my fitness pal on my mobile which i strongly recommend, as it keeps track of all calorie intake. i had noticed this week that my appetite was back and bad habits were sneaking back, i almost bought a packet of doritioes but didnt. i really hope to lose more next week, i will walk plenty. i have 3 weeks till my first fill, its a long time to wait but have to stay focused.

Keep the chin up Maura - ur still going in the right direction! Well done on resisting the doritos. I have the fitness pal app - it's fab isn't it! Did u fly out from Dublin? I'm still undecided re band vs wrap.... Do u know if ur consultant does the wrap too? Anyway, ur an inspiration. Try not to feel low - this time the weight will come off and STAY off. Xo

ah thanks tandy. i hope so. my surgeon only does the band. i flew from dublin to brussels for 60 euros return. so that didnt break the bank.
good luck on what ever u decide xx

well its 4 weeks tomorrow that i became a bandit or should i say a bandette. my first fill is booked for 3 weeks time. I think its will power (not a lot of that about) thats keeping me going as i think i have little restriction. i have lost a stone from i became a bandette and i couldnt cope with puttin even a pound back on. i was never good with setbacks which is why i have a weight problem in the first place. when i was at weight watchers or slim world etc, if i put on even 1lb i would become so disheartened that i would return to my old habits. luckily i have my band to assist a little restriction but i am still missing the food, which i know is normal as it cant magicly leave my brain. i just wish i could have a fill sooner and get myself into gear. will still weigh in on saturday and have some weigh loss.
xx

right guys have had a wee negative glip earlier this week and got great advice from you so thanks for that. a kick in the butt is what i needed. i am keeping myself active, walking. i am nervous on getting weighed tomoro tho. i have still lost confidence but i know i have to get on with it. i am going to take Mazza and Neen's advice. i have been eating cereal in the mornings, mainly weetabix so i am going to try melba toast. i am still having a wee treat, but i am using my fitness pal on my mobile fone, and i havent been exceeding 1300 calories in any day.....but still nervous to get on the friggin scales tomoro morning,. will keep u posted xx

Hey Maura,

THE WEIGHT IS COMING OFF!!!!!

I know its not coming off as fast as you would like, buts is an off and not an on!
How are things going with the job hunting? have you found anything yet?

I must take my hat to you for resisting doritos......if it was me, they would have been bought and eaten! well done, you obviously have more will power than me at present.

Keep going girl....dont forget, this is journey...not a race!

Back