• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lap-Band Too much exercise?

libbyb

Could do much exercise be jeopardising my weight loss? Not losing a thing or getting looser clothes but at the gym everyday and burning up to and over 1000 calories In a session. Any banders lost weight without exercise??

Yes is the answer to that in my opinion. I do ridiculous amounts of gym now, I like it and it gets me out the house.

But it does make me hungry...

Change up your routine on a fortnightly or weekly basis to something radical so your body doesn't get used to it.

Interval training on treadmill is a good one for me, I do a 30 minute session and have the speed on my normal 13km for 3 minutes, then rock up to 16km for 2 mins. It's a killer but it makes my body get a wake up call.

I have one day off a week, and go sit in the spa for a couple of hours.

Lots of exercise doesn't make me lose weight I've concluded as when on holiday I lose more. Eating less and strolling has the best effect on the scales for me.

Will stick in the gym though :D

Thanks for replying! Even with exercise calories are around1100-1200 but it could probably be way less without.

Is that what you're finding? I still make good food choices.

Argh!

I don't know how it works with band, but when I didn't have band, I am pretty certain that the level of exercise I was doing (12 hours a week intense exercise) was helping me to stay big. I was constantly hungry and I think I ended up eating too much, more than I actually burned. (everyone was thinking how I can be overweight with that amount of exercise!)

With the band I feel less hungry than I was before (with the same level of exercise as before), but I still do feel hungry every day between mealtimes whereas I though that the idea was that I wouldn't be hungry. But at least although I am feeling hungry, I am still in some sort of control over the food, whereas before I wasn't. I wonder if the feeling hungry would stop if I didn't exercise. I think it would, actually. Saying that, I love the exercising. I loved it before and I love it now.

I'm exactly the same as you, but even with a band and eating 1200 max and burning about 1000, I'm not losing anything! Everyone else seems to lose sooo much with a ten minute walk each day!

You need to eat more! if you are burning over 1,000 cals at the gym and only consuming slightly more for the day you are going to be in starvation mode.

Unfortunatly it would be hard to determine how many calories will result in you starting to lose again but maybe you could start with around 200? Something like a protein shake after the gym.

I do all the protein shake stuff! I don't think I could physically eat or drink more, if I did it would be forcing and I don't wanna do that.. I think I'm gonna quit the gym, just do walks, easy stuff like yoga.

The protein shake 'stuff' was a suggestion to add more calories! I have no idea what you do or don't eat, you asked could too much exercise jeopordise your weight loss. The answer is yes, if your not taking enough in.

Maybe you should ask your provider as your obviously not getting the answer you want from us? Or if you want advise from people who have been there and done it maybe if we knew a bit more about what you eat we could help :confused:

I eat the below

B - 1/2s protein, 1/3c oats
S - 1/2s protein with water, (70calories) nectarine
L - 100g tuna, salad
S - 1/2s protein with water, 2 tblsp seeds
D - 100g protein, salad/vege

Gym is at 6.30am and I have a protein shake before that. I do weights 3x a week with 40 minuts of cardio after and 3 days of spin class/boxing. (No change in clothes either so not makin muscle)

Couldn't physically fit more food is all I'm saying and I appear to be eating far more than others on this site. the more exercise u do the hungrier you get.. So if I quit the exercise and cut it back to walking ill eat less and have better weight loss like others on this site. Wouldn't u agree?

I think u might have picked up a tone or something in my previous message.. That wasn't my intention. I'm just doing all I can, I got the band for appetite suppression and to help cut my calories so adding in more food or shakes seems a waste of the band.. I don't know what I'm trying to say, argh! I guess that I would rather the band do more work for me than the exercise side of it.. But then I'm scared that I'm maintaining my weight at present with a major calorie deficit every day.. What will happen when I rely more on diet and the band than working out at the gym...

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks

Well, you can definitely try to cut down the exercise a little bit. Maybe not forever, just for now while you hit the plateau. You will see what happen. (you can always restart it in a few weeks time if it doesn't make any difference).

For me, definitely, when I am not exercising, I feel less hungry, I am eating less and find it easier to diet and I am loosing more weight. But the band makes it possible for me to diet even with the exercising.

I lost weight without very much 'exercise' at all...just the odd dog walk. Generally I was more active than I was previously though. Any exercise I did, I offset by increasing my calories/protein to compensate. Best losses on around 1100 NET calories a day on average. Less than 900 net calories a day and my body stalled and I didnt lose weight. I always focussed on protein first, didnt low-carb or low-fat ... but by default because of the high protein the carbs/fat levels were OK anyway. Generally a pretty balanced intake. My metabloism has definitely improved as I have followed this journey. I am away on a course at the moment and probably having around 2000 calories a day as everything I am eating is not home made, but once I return home and am making my own meals again, my maintaining weight is around 1600-1700 calories a day now ... any less and the weight drops off rapidly.

Just my personal view, but I think it does the body good to have a bit of a shake-up. Keep surprising it. Have the odd low net calorie day, then higher calorie days where you are compensating for all the calories your body is burning, change your exercise routine ... if the body knows exactly what is coming because you follow the same routine, it starts to pre-empt it, and goes into nasty starvation mode.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies! I stopped the gym 3 days ago and my appetite is like half what it was! Fingers crossed the weight moves! X

On one of my many pre op diet exercise regimes I seem to remember, the rule of thumb to maintain a weight loss was to eat at least half your exercise calories. On your earlier stats that would mean adding 500 cals making your net input 700 cals. But I think you need to find at what level you loose weight without the exercise and then when you add exercise back in try to maintain that as your nett level. It would be a shame not to exercise when you enjoy it.

Exercise will increase the levels of hunger. I gym 3-4 times a week, I swim 2-3 times a week and have also started to do my couch25k, this is in addition to about 45-75 mins of walking every day. I limit mine to 1100 cals a day, I do not increase my calorie intake to offset the calories used during exercise and my own provider doesn't advise us doing this either. It is about finding a balance and if you find it increases hunger, to increase the protein content of the diet, which if you're building muscle will burn calories more than body fat will.

As such, I've lost 7 stone in 6 months which I nowhere near would have done had I increased the levels of calories gained back by exercise. however, it is about finding what works for you, but exercise will increase hunger levels - I can assure you that you aren't eating a great deal. I consume quite considerable amounts of food especially until my recent fill, but I also completed changed what I eat, I don't do carbs. But my diet is very much protein based and if I find that Im hungry after exercise or need something extra to eat, it will always be protein rather than anything else.

It is hard to compare tho, what you eat or your losses compared to what others are doing, everyone burns differently, everyone eats differently, and everyone will find the place at which they lose weight . . .its a lot of trial and error.

Also just to say, I've had my band 6 months, and as yet it hasn't really suppressed my appetite at all, it really has come from strictly controlling what I eat, and basically what I choose to put in my mouth . . .

Libby - good luck finding your own right balance. As topkat says, every individual is different and different approaches are needed by everyone for them to achieve their own successes. Personally, I just think I am very very very lucky to have my band and that with my brain in the right place 95% of the time ... its worked for me in a way that I am extremely happy with...and that I will be able to maintain for the rest of my life :)

Thanks guys. With little exercise, my hunger and interest in food is nearly gone! I'm starting to appreciate my band finally! I have another fill on Tuesday so hopefully I feel far fuller for longer! X

Good luck :) it may be that you just alter your exercise levels/intake rather than just give it up altogether LOL ... I dont want to be accused of advocating no exercise at all :asskick:

Haha. I'm still walking round and I walk a bit for my job. Just cutting back on the really sweaty workouts! So not completely sedentary :)

I've made the decision now to cut down on the really heavy cardio classes at the gym as well :eek: Will try and stick to twice a week only for Spin :cry:

I want to improve my general toning and flexibility to am going to stick to some bending torture classes when I get back. There always has to be one that falls over in Yoga and Body Balance :rolleyes:

I want to shift the extra flab that I have before my next surgery.

So less heavy exercise, more toning, more protein, more resting is going to be the way forward. Well it can't hurt to give it a whirl.

Back