• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-Oppers... Anyone want to join me trying to lose some weight pre op?

Hi, how's everyone getting on?? I've been really rubbish the last week or so. Have started again today. Hope you're all doing better than me! Xxx

Hiya Porpo, It looks like most of us are struggling a bit at the moment, but what is good is the fact we are all being honest about it and I know I dont feel judged, which can only be a good thing.

Fuze, is it worth sucking on ice cubes or frozen grapes to try and distract from hunger. It's bloody hard, but your so close to your op now and you gotta get that liver shrunk gal. I dont know what you are or arent allowed on the liver shrinker, but I've recently been enjoying the shape greek style citrus yoghurts, they are quite filling and stave of hunger, are you allowed those?

Zeta, home made cakes are fatal, I love home baking but have avoided making any cakes for about a month, much to my families annoyance.

I just weighed myself even though I wasnt going to this week (its totm) I have stayed the same, no loss no gain and that's after a fish n chip supper which actually HAS made me feel guilty and uncomfortably stuffed.

Even staying the same is a bonus tbh, as since my initial referral for wls aprox 2 yrs ago I have gained 4 to 5 stone, so stabalising is at least better than the gain I was having.

Saying that, I want to see LOSS next week so SUPER BOOSTER WILL POWER PACKS are ready to be collected ;)

Xx

Well - weigh-in day today and you know what? I'm back to where I started! This is just silly. :copon: Mxx

Morning Zeta:)

Try to look at this pragmatically, I know it is impossible not to get emotional about it, after all we are human and if it wasn't for our emotions we probably wouldn't have half the weight problems we have in the first place.

It is disappointing, but lets face it, I think it's the whole reason why we are waiting for wls, to finally put the yoyo away.

I've got up today and feel like I could eat for England. Have to nip to shops with friend soon and already greggs is tempting me, totm is fatal.

We obviously have to take this one day at a time, it's a lifetime of bad habits we are trying to change, Rome wasn't built in a day. I think the key is maybe not to go all out into diet mode but try gradually changing things. look for negative or bad patterns and then slowly change a little at a time. Dont focus on the weight loss/gain, focus on the positive changes, ie i've stopped skipping breakfast, I now have a small bowl of rice crispies without sugar ands semi skimmed milk. I now eat lunch in the kitchen at the table, eating and chewing slowly and pursposfully (I do so wanna cram it in though lol).

My daytimes are quite good, it's my evenings where I falter. I think the fact that we are desperately trying to lose weight now while we are waiting may make the changes we have to face post surgery easier and hopefully as successful as those who have gone before us :)

Hope this week is a better one for us all Xx

Ok today I have had:
Breakfast- yogurt
Lunch- crisp bread with ww cheese 2oz
Tea- scrambled egg (2) on 1 slice ww bread toasted with a drizzle of ketchup
An apple as a snack

Hi

This thread seems to have come to a grinding halt. :)

I hope that doesn't mean you have all given up? I think it needs a bit of a stimulus so I have decided to join in.

I still have 3 months before my op, but have some tests coming up soon that will be easier if I lose some weight.

I intend to cut down mostly by counting calories but also replacing some meals with Promax diet protien drinks.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi there,

I'm waiting for a date and I'm trying gradually to get my head round all the changes that we need to get used to. Really pleased with myself so far, no chocolate, sweets or crisps for over 6 weeks. Can't say I haven't been tempted. Still have the odd cake or biscuit but trying to stop these now as well. Having slimfast shakes at least once a day, salads and generally trying to cut things down to much smaller portions. I've found my stomach has already shrunk in size as I can't eat as much as I used to do. Still feel hungry sometimes but the scales tells me it's worth it - lost over 1/2 stone since I decided to be good. Hoping I can keep this up until I get my op hopefully later this year sometime.

Lyn

I am doing so badly! I'm so disgusted with myself I have taken my weight ticker and chart off! Yesterday was a bit of a disaster - my soon-to-be-daughter-in-law's hen night at Apres. One of us passed out. I wasn't me thank goodness. Today is a cooking-free day - hubby and son are off to Laser Quest for my son's stag do. Hopefully I can pick up the pieces of my broken diet and stick them together again.
Good luck everyone. We have a whole new week in front of us. Mxx

Still feel hungry sometimes but the scales tells me it's worth it - lost over 1/2 stone since I decided to be good. Hoping I can keep this up until I get my op hopefully later this year sometime.

Lyn

Hi Lyn
Well done! It is the initial few days that are tricky, but once you "in the swing" it gets easier. Well, that's what I am telling myself...:D

Ok Firstly Hi there Glenville and Didi welcome to the 'strugglers are us' thread:D

Well done Didi for your weight loss and Good luck for this week.

Glenville, some of the things I am trying to do which even if not acheiving weightloss are hopefully putting me in good stead post wls are to actually make myself sit at the table during the day for brealfast and lunch. Usually I skip breakfast, I am trying to address that. The other is to take smaller mouthfulls and chew at least 30 times, this is proving harder as I am currently undergoing lots of dental treatment, have abscesses and crowns removed which make eating properly difficult.

Looks like we are all having difficulties Zeta, I had a bit of a blow last week, I rang the hospital to see if they had a date for my next appointment and discovered that the funding has gone t!ts up! I was told that funding had been rejected on the grounds that I dont live in the borough they applied to. I suspect she has sent it to the wrong pct as she mentioned Harringay and I have NEVER lived there. She then tried to make it sound like she had sent it to the correct pct and they had made the mistake, Considering I have been under the same pct for most of my adult life and have lots of hospital appointments I find it hard to see how my pct cannot find me on their system.

So when I was told the funding was in place, it wasn't!

She also said that as I hadn't been seen for over a year by their dieticians I would have to start that whole process up again. Not overly impressed with how they are handling things, considering I did manage to lose weight with their dieticians over a year ago and it has all been put on again plus more. This has been going on for over 2 years now, If it wasn't for my other health problems that they needed to check out by refering me to a colleague of the surgeon, I would have probably been done and dusted over a year ago! Never mind them telling me at this stage I have to go back to square one! Am going to wait until the funding application is sorted then I think I am going to write a letter of complaint about all this.

On a more positive note, she did say we are still on target for autumn this year!

Have been really ill AGAIN, am on two lots of antibiotics again on top of all my usual meds, looks like I am going to lose ANOTHER tooth to acute abscess and thats not even mentiong the kidney/urinary tract infection that just wont shift!

OK pity party over, shall take each day as it comes weight loss wise, I suspect good days and bad ones ;)

willpower packs are ready to be collected for those who want them

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :D

I have been struggling but its TOTM and I guess to be expected. I haven't had anything "bad" in several days which is huge for me. I went to the gym and worked out yesterday and as soon as I left I had a massive craving for McDonald's french fries but I managed not to get them. I even went grocery shopping and managed to buy healthy things. We had a really nice dinner of Rosemary Conley Thai Beef stir fry and everyone ate which is a huge accomplishment in my house.

Mornin all i am Roch and just going for my first app for the info meeting at the Whittington tomorrow.
I would like tolose some more more weight b4 surgery, to make sure i am healthier and to reduce complications.
On my own i have lost 31lbs in the past 9/10 weeks and gone down 2 sizes.
I am desperate for wls but dont want to just sit around waiting for surgery and put on the weight i have lost already but at the same time i am worried if my weight drops by another 2/3 stone b4 funding is applied for am worried my pct will not grant funding so am really in a catch 22 situation.
I have had a bad weight problem since the age of 9 and the past 6 yrs i have stopped working, hardly gone out and hid away from the world, so am desperate for surgery to regain my life.
I am mum to my gorgeous son Aaron who is 17 and i have 2 staffy dogs as u can see in my siggy lol.
Well thats my introduction over with hope u all have a good day take care and chat soon luv Roch xxx

Ok Firstly Hi there Glenville and Didi welcome to the 'strugglers are us' thread:D

:D Thanks. This 1st week is a bit of a struggle. Although I am easing into it gently I am already feeling the effects, including reduced blood sugars...:).

I am also struggling to stay away from the scales. I plan to check on progress on Sunday and will let you know how I have got on.

Mornin all i am Roch and just going for my first app for the info meeting at the Whittington tomorrow.
Hi Roch, Good luck with your meeting.

I would think that as soon as you have been accepted for wls you should be able to start your diet again without the fears of dropping below the required BMI. Probably worth asking them while you are there.

Ah some more pre losers :) welcome

Fashionably late, well done for resisting those golden arches :) and the beef stir fry sounds great :) good luck this week, dont look for a loss as it's totm. wait till next week to weigh yourself.

Hi there Roch
Wow your weight loss so far is VERY GOOD, keep it up, although try to aim to lose about a 1lb or 2 a week so you don't scupper your funding app.;)

Glenville, you are right about avoiding the scales, that is also a good tip, it's very hard not to take a sneaky look but I would imagine it far better to weigh yourself once a fortnight rather than each week.

Sam (waves)................If your reading this and not sunning yourself on some tropical island;)being waited on hand a foot by eye candy, come back missus!

I have a plan I'm going to try.........(oh no I hear NOT ANOTHER PLAN) For those of us who are suffering with hibernation syndrome (eating as much as we can now caz we know post op we wont be able to again) I thought maybe something like a good day bad day diet, set aside 4 good days each week, Dont focus on them but instead focus on the 3 bad days and what you plan t do on them days, that way you are not focussing on denying yourself your favourite foods. Obviously BE VERY GOOD ON THE GOOD DAYS :D And every time you feel like weakening on a good day, just remind yourself that you have a bad day coming soon and that you can wait till then.
Gradually increase the good days and in the meantime try to find suitable healthy non food replacements to the foods we crave, one at a time, slowly. Lets face it gals and guys we need TREATS and lots of em, just maybe not foodie ones :p

Apologies if that sounds like a loada psychobabble, I'm trying reverse psychology on myself haha.

I certainly look forward to relaxing the diet a bit at the weekend. If I didn't I would probably blow it completely. I also intend to do some longer walks than I would normally do, so hopefully they will balance out.

Hi Roch, Good luck with your meeting.

I would think that as soon as you have been accepted for wls you should be able to start your diet again without the fears of dropping below the required BMI. Probably worth asking them while you are there.

Hi Glenville i am not sure how long that is going to take, as some people at the Whitt have funding applied for them after their first consultant app and others at the second consultant app,and the prob is unless i can get a cancellation might not see the consultant b4 the end of the year.
Will def chat to Kirsten the bariatric nurse tomorrow, thanks and take care xx

Ah some more pre losers :) welcome

Fashionably late, well done for resisting those golden arches :) and the beef stir fry sounds great :) good luck this week, dont look for a loss as it's totm. wait till next week to weigh yourself.

Hi there Roch
Wow your weight loss so far is VERY GOOD, keep it up, although try to aim to lose about a 1lb or 2 a week so you don't scupper your funding app.;)

Glenville, you are right about avoiding the scales, that is also a good tip, it's very hard not to take a sneaky look but I would imagine it far better to weigh yourself once a fortnight rather than each week.

Sam (waves)................If your reading this and not sunning yourself on some tropical island;)being waited on hand a foot by eye candy, come back missus!

I have a plan I'm going to try.........(oh no I hear NOT ANOTHER PLAN) For those of us who are suffering with hibernation syndrome (eating as much as we can now caz we know post op we wont be able to again) I thought maybe something like a good day bad day diet, set aside 4 good days each week, Dont focus on them but instead focus on the 3 bad days and what you plan t do on them days, that way you are not focussing on denying yourself your favourite foods. Obviously BE VERY GOOD ON THE GOOD DAYS :D And every time you feel like weakening on a good day, just remind yourself that you have a bad day coming soon and that you can wait till then.
Gradually increase the good days and in the meantime try to find suitable healthy non food replacements to the foods we crave, one at a time, slowly. Lets face it gals and guys we need TREATS and lots of em, just maybe not foodie ones :p

Apologies if that sounds like a loada psychobabble, I'm trying reverse psychology on myself haha.

Hi Swizzlestick thanks i found it very easty to lose that weight but last week fell of track again due to depression and was not well.
Its hard as i feel like i am in a catch 22 i would luv to lose more that 1 pound a week but i am sure it would def scupper my chances of funding and tbh i cant manage another year like this as i have practically become a hermit the past few yrs and only go out when necessary and cant carry on like this no more.
Thanks hun have a good day and take care xxx

Back