• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tubby Tutor tries to be tiny!

tubbytutor

Hello everyone

I am sitting writing this, the proud or is that terrified owner of a 10 ml lap band. I was done on Friday and came home yesterday.
I don't quite know what I expected, but the pain has been awful. Now I must explain that I have fibromyalgia which does mean I have a low pain threshold. I also had a hernia, which the NHS had not been able to find! So may be I was always going to hurt more than most. Maybe I'm just a wimp!

I am really not managing too well with the liquids. I don't like smoothies or mushed bananas. I'm not that keen on fruit juice - years of avoiding it because of acid reflux. So I need help please folks..... What else can I drink/eat.

I'm also confused about lumpy foods. Being told to strain chicken soup doesn't tally with the fact that my surgeon told me its ok to swallow some of my tablets I need to take because they don't come in liquid. So it's ok to swallow a tablet but not a tiny bit of chicken..... Has anyone thought about the irony of this?

It's funny because I thought I was well prepared for this whole business. I have religiously read all the posts here, I've read the books and leaflets. But I am now doing this for real. No going back. It's time for the rest of my life.

I felt completely the same. It's like bringing a baby home for the first time - you may have read everything but nothing can prepare you for those first few days. Can you manage milk? Hot milky drinks are still a good option. The thing is that for some people solid bits can cause nausea. At least for bypassers.

Good luck with it all, as Yvessa said - the first few weeks can be scary no matter how prepared you think you are (it passes!)

Just a guess, but could it be because tablets dissolve and chicken doesn't ? I had a bypass but a stray bit of carrot in soup had me vomiting for ages on the liquid stage.

I remember the pain being really quite awful those first few days, but it passes so quickly that its bearable. Also the first couple of weeks with food and energy levels are nothing short of grim. Again that too passes quickly, and before you know it you are settling into a routine, and living a perfectly normal life.

I know it's not quite the weather for it, but I made ice-lollies using sugar free orange squash. I also ate Mini Milks just to get liquids inside me.
I also boil up some chicken thighs, add a stock cube, celery, carrots and onions. Strain it, freeze the chicken and veg for "casserole stage" and have the broth. It's so good for you and has some protein in it.

The pain will pass, I am THE most pathetic person with pain (why I am doing this a third time I will never know!) and when I had my band I was about 4-5 days in before the pain started to get a bit better.

I hope you feel better soon and well done on your surgery! :)

Welcome to being banded :)

Liquid stage suggestions - consistency to pass up a straw but without drinking it through a straw as this can cause excessive wind and more pain!

- vegetable juice
- drinking yoghurts
- fruit smoothies (blend down well but sieve to get rid of any lasting bits) I dont like mashed bananas but found things like in the freezer section where they do summer fruits, they are blended quite nice with either water if you don't like fruit juice or juice. With crushed ice can be nicer too.
- sieved soup (blend well and if its still too thick water it down some)
- NAS crusha milkshakes
- Slim fast or other "brand" shakes are a good one here as it helps to get you nutrients too
- milky coffees
- options hot chocolates
- lots of water, NAS squash,
- bovril/oxo

:)

Well my wish to be tiny is not going to fulfilled quickly!

I am just on the soft food at the moment, and as you may have seen on another reply I have only lost half a pound since the operation.

I know that this is quite normal but it is always in the back of your mind that a few people do loose loads in their early days of their bands. You hope that you may be one of those few.

So I'm keeping track on MFP and hoping for the best.

On another note, my main scar is really painful. Not deep inside, just on the surface as it rubs against clothes. Does anyone else have this or can advise what to do.
(I do have fibromyalgia which messes up my nervousness system and I wondered if was connected?)

Well my wish to be tiny is not going to fulfilled quickly!

I am just on the soft food at the moment, and as you may have seen on another reply I have only lost half a pound since the operation.

I know that this is quite normal but it is always in the back of your mind that a few people do loose loads in their early days of their bands. You hope that you may be one of those few.

So I'm keeping track on MFP and hoping for the best.

On another note, my main scar is really painful. Not deep inside, just on the surface as it rubs against clothes. Does anyone else have this or can advise what to do.
(I do have fibromyalgia which messes up my nervousness system and I wondered if was connected?)

Hope you're feeling a bit better today :)

Most of my scars don't hurt apart from the one by my bra line when it rubs. I find wearing a sports bra has helped a lot.

xxx

Back