• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

UPDATED. Don't feel I can cope much longer

zns

UPDATE:

I had my appointment with my GP today, she said she was happy to refer me to the OT so will just have to wait now until they get back to me.

She has agreed to stop the paracetamol for my pain and to try codeine & paracetamol. She want to try that at least first before any further referal for the pain issues, she has said that it might just be a case of having to learn to live with it and hope that once my weight goes down that it gets better.

xx

Sorry I havent really been around very much but I need to let this out.

My mobility is getting worse and worse :cry:I can no longer get in the bath alone or wash myself alone. Weve had a shower fitted to make it easier for me, but now I can't seem to stand for long enough. I cried my eyes out all night as I was in so much pain after standing in the shower. The same night I then fell down the stairs and badly sprained my ankle :cry:

I just don't think I can cope anymore :(

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm so sorry you're struggling, it sounds awful...

Is there someone who can give you a hand? Perhaps you could get one of those shower chairs so you wouldn't have to struggle with the standing? Have you seen the doctor about pain medication? My Dad had really bad mobility issues and pain from herniated discs and he's now been refered to the pain clinic, I dont know if that could help?

I hope you feel better soon,

Xxxx

I really do know how you feel and my heart goes out to you. I have a neurological problem which causes alot of problems to the left hand side of my body, stairs are so difficult and I have broken my wrist twice and a vertebrae at the bottom of my back, falling down them.

Would it be a good idea to approach your gp and get a referral to occupational therapy? Thats what I did, and although there is a wait
they are wonderful at helping you as much as possible now. If you decide that is the way to go for you, please emphasise that you fall on the stairs as that will make you more of a priority.

Take it easy, sending you a big hug
Deb

Give your OT a call. My husband is non able bodied and particulalry after his crash for nearly 2 years he was pretty much immobile so I have adaptions all over my house - a simple bath seat will mean you can sit while you shower, grab rails, a hydraulic bath lift if necessary. We have raisers on all our furniture & beds to heighten them as OH can't do the drop to normal seat level and then can't get up again. There are so many aids to help you, ring the GP, the District Nurse and the OT and MAKE them listen!! You need support and you need it now. If you can't find the fight inside of you right now, get someone else to do it.

I hope you find some peace soon...take care.

Thank you. Ive finally been given pain meds, but they only wanted to start with paracetamol and that doesnt really do anything, so next appointment at the GP I will ask for the next step. I'll ask about the OT as well. Im just not sure how much we will be able to have done as we are renting :cry:
I just want to be able to do things again :(

Lots of the OT aids are removable - bath seat I just pop onto the bath when OH showers, chair / bed raisers are removable, grab rails are held on with screws. I know everything seems bleak for you right now, but there are devices out there to encourage and maintain your independance and help you round the house. You just have to tell them that you are struggling.

Hang in there, you can get through this.
See your Doctor about stronger pain killers, I really badgered mine till he gave in and prescribed some. I find heat helps with my joints, try and get yourself one of those heat bags you warm up in the microwave, it really eases the pain.
Take care and keep in touch on here, all of us are here to help and support you in anyway we can.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(((((big hugs))))) to u Zns, hun i can relate to you 100% as i am going through exactly the same now so i really know how you feel and i am around the same weight as u so i know the difficulties.
Firstly you need to book an urgent app with your doc, tell him exactly how it is and what you cant manage to do no longer at home and about your mobility, ask him to refer you to the OT. They will call you and do an assessment over the phone, pls dont sugar coat the answers tell them how bad it is on the worst days as they will then put u in one of 4 category's.

Critical (which it explains itself)
Substantial
Moderate
Low

I am in substantial and if u r in any lower they wont come round to see you, the probs i have in the house are.

Cant bath in the bath as i cant get in and out on my own and my legs collapse and i fall
Walk up and down the stairs on my hands and knees
Cant stand for 2 longs as my legs collapse 7/8 times a day
Cant bed over to pick anything up
Ne2d to hold on to the radiator to get off the toilet
Cant turn over in bed easily because of sciatica and osteoarthritis

The ot was fab she bout 2 seats round for the bath, once is a stool that sits in the bath and u can still have a proper bath but not be sitting so low down so easier to get up, i could not use this as i dont have the strength to get back up.

The second seat is excellent it takes up to 30 stone and it fits across the top of the bath so u can sit down and shower urslef which will allow u to be dependent and eliminate any chances of u falling.

For the toilet she can have a hand rail attached to the side of ur toilet or a frame to help u get up.

For my bed i have a lever to grab on to to help me turn over

To help me pick things up off the floor i have something that looks like a litter picker :)

She is having hand rails for my stairs fitted and a shower

I have a stool for the kitchen so i can sit and prepare food

Last but not least she has referred me for physio whom came to my house yesterday,and referred me dla and a parking blue badge

Hun their is help out there but u need to ask, if u dont ask u dont get, it took me ages to ask for help :(
What stage are u in for the wls and which hospital are u under maybe if you have the OT assessment and email it over to the Bariatirc co ordinator with a letter telling them how bad things are for you they might expedite things for you.
This has been done for me as i am now housebound and on morphine based meds for pain.
Hun paracetamol are no good u need a good anti inflam and a pain killer, since i have been typing this there must of been loads of posts lol

Am going to pm u now hun take care and pls dont feel u r alone we are all here to hold your hand and support you along your journey, take care luv Roch xxx

big hugs. xx

I didn't want to read and run and I think you've been given some real good advice. I think what Roch said about faxing info to your surgeon to see if your wls can be prioritised is really good advice and I do know of someone who's mobility has been badly affected to the extent she can only shuffle a very short distance and she was pushed through for wls, so its worth a try. Good Luck and keep your chin up..there is hope!! xx

There is some good advice in this thread especially about getting an occupational therapist in. I think a lot of larger people suffer like this, often in silence, because they think they are going to get judged because of their weight or are not entitled to the help. I know I did.

Another thing you can do is ask your doctor if he can refer you to a pain clinic. And this goes for you too Roch. The reason I say this is because you are going to have to find ways to cope with the pain post op.

I have found I can't take the pain medication now and although yes I can bend and move slightly easier, the pain can be awful at times and is worse because of the lack of medication, especially at night. I've tried crushing the various pills only to have them make me sick or burn my mouth. With this in mind I've found the pain clinic absolutely brilliant.

I've been having Acupuncture which does help, with the aid of the clinic looking at alternative herbal medicines, looking at Meditation, have been put forward for Hypnotism and been studying Cognative Behavioural Therapy all of which are available through a good pain clinic.

One thing you do have to bear in mind is that post op for a few months at least you will have to look at other ways to get that pain medication in or alternative ways to deal with it.

The ladies are right about trying to get in early too. Like Roch I was fast tracked because of my other illnesses. Its worth a try.

Hope things improve for you soon.

xxx

a tip we used for my mum whilst waiting for the ot was to use an ordinary plastic garden chair placed on a towel in the shower it worked very well as a short term measure x

Hi,

I really feel for you, Where abouts in Kent are you? I am waiting for my surgery and although I do struggle with things I am lucky that I am fairly mobile.

I rent and we have a walk in shower as I won't get in the bath mainly cause I get in and the water gets out but also I'm worried I will get stuck.

My stairs are really steep and I often have to go up on all fours but other than that I don't do too bad.

I just keep looking forward to my surgery.

Take Care and just email me or msn me [email protected]

If you would like a chat

Paula XX

Hi,

I really feel for you, Where abouts in Kent are you? I am waiting for my surgery and although I do struggle with things I am lucky that I am fairly mobile.

I rent and we have a walk in shower as I won't get in the bath mainly cause I get in and the water gets out but also I'm worried I will get stuck.

My stairs are really steep and I often have to go up on all fours but other than that I don't do too bad.

I just keep looking forward to my surgery.

Take Care and just email me or msn me Expose Email

If you would like a chat

Paula XX

Hey

Im not far from Ashford xx

Back