• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

vitamins

shirley05

Hi all im due to have by surgery nxt thurs and would like some advise on best vitamins to buy..........:D thanks Shirley

I use tesco multi vitamins & minerals , I'll find out in about a month if they do the trick ... that's my first post op blood test

You should get forceval multivitamins on prescription. But you can't take them straight away (think you can take them once you can tolerate more solid foods). Until I can take my Forceval I've got Centrum multivitamin & minerals as they're chewable and easy to take. They're not cheap but you can get them 3 for 2 in Boots.
x

pandora said:
I use tesco multi vitamins & minerals , I'll find out in about a month if they do the trick ... that's my first post op blood test

I take those ones too. Recommended by the hospital dietician.

I take those ones too. Recommended by the hospital dietician.

that's good to know , i can't afford the expensive ones lol xx

I use Asda's own A-Z vitamins with minerals and my bloods are fine after 2 years with a blip on Vit D (I blame the lack of summer) and my Dr wants me to take ferrous sulphate to keep my iron in check (no vit B12 injection here)

Do you just buy the 1 a day multi vits a-z in Asda and how much are they, I got the centrum adavance a-z and they were 3 for 2 but they were bout £15 quid each pot, got them cos they had the high amount in the surgeon reccommend after op. I still have to take iron and have regular B12 jabs every 3 months said would do that for life, and multivits. Amazing, how we all have to do something different when our insides have similar or same procedures. Daft realy but hey if it keeps us healthy who are we to argue xx

I was vit b12 deficient pre op so had a course of 6 pre op & have my first post op one on Thursday , so o know I will have to have them . Will be interesting to see what my bloods show at the end of the month

Do you just buy the 1 a day multi vits a-z in Asda and how much are they, I got the centrum adavance a-z and they were 3 for 2 but they were bout £15 quid each pot, got them cos they had the high amount in the surgeon reccommend after op. I still have to take iron and have regular B12 jabs every 3 months said would do that for life, and multivits. Amazing, how we all have to do something different when our insides have similar or same procedures. Daft realy but hey if it keeps us healthy who are we to argue xx

I have A-Z Multivitamin & Minerals one-a-day 90 tablets.
They are £3.50 for 1 bottle or 3 bottles for £10
HTH

Hi

I am on Forceval as well, I even took the box to the chemist and compared them to all the named brands and the Focevals cam out on top, so that's good enough for me.

Paul

I've read loads where people take multi vits, iron tablets and have b12 injections, but never heard anyone mention calcium supplements? I'm 3 months post bypass op and I was prescribed 2 calcium tablets per day, just wondering if this is normal? :/

I take calcium & vit d as I was deficient pre op , I have read others take it too . Like a lot of things it depends on your hospital what you are told to take

I wasnt deficient in anything as far as I know anyway. Yeah think your right, things do vary from hospital to hospital. I'm really struggling with my tablets I forget to take them all the time, then when I do remember its too late in the day cos I've got to leave so long between the iron and the calcium - tablets are deffo the worst part of having this op :(

I've taken calci-chew with vitamin Dsince a total hysterectomy aged 38 nine years ago. The dose has recently been upped to 3 a day, plus effervescent zinc, multi vitamins, mebeverine if needed for recurrences of IBS symptoms (usually stress induced sometimes trapped wind), glucosamine (eases the joint for osteo arthritis), omeprazole (to protect the pouch from paracetamol & ibruprofen I take for oestrogen arthritis), thyroxin (under-active thyroid) & ferrous sulphate (extra iron). The ferrous sulphate, extra calcium & zinc are due to post op deficiencies. So far I've only had one b12 jab but that was due to confusion not need, but is far my levels of that have been fine.
On the whole I feel fine & dandy so each is worth it.

penelope1008 said:
I've taken calci-chew with vitamin Dsince a total hysterectomy aged 38 nine years ago. The dose has recently been upped to 3 a day, plus effervescent zinc, multi vitamins, mebeverine if needed for recurrences of IBS symptoms (usually stress induced sometimes trapped wind), glucosamine (eases the joint for osteo arthritis), omeprazole (to protect the pouch from paracetamol & ibruprofen I take for oestrogen arthritis), thyroxin (under-active thyroid) & ferrous sulphate (extra iron). The ferrous sulphate, extra calcium & zinc are due to post op deficiencies. So far I've only had one b12 jab but that was due to confusion not need, but is far my levels of that have been fine.
On the whole I feel fine & dandy so each is worth it.

Wow - here's me complaining I struggle to take mine and you take way more, I don't know how you remember to get them all in! I'm sure the 1's I take are called calci-chew they have a horrible chalky taste. I've never been very good with tablets but I suppose I best get used to them I'm gonna be taking them for a very long time!! X

It's no biggie honestly you get used to things again quite quickly to begin with post op I staggered them across the day now I have my breakfast & can swill them down in 3groups having already taken the thyroxin when I get up, so it's the 2thyroxin then, I munch the calci-chew while sorting the other 6, of those 6 I take the bigger glucosamine & multi-vitamins together with a swig of the effervescent zinc followed by the last 3 with the final swig of zinc. I dissolve the zinc in a minimal amount of liquid (usually some nas squash to disguise the unusual flavour of the zinc tablets), so I don't break the eating & drinking rule to much, so bobs my uncle as the saying goes. If I'm having a bad pain day I add 2paracetamol & 1double strength ibruprofen at the same time. However I try to keep those to a minimum depending on the fibromyalgia & osteo-arthritis are playing up.
But I'm sure there are others on here who take far more than I do. As I say it's something you get your head round as you get used to your pouch & realise there's not much harm you can do to it that's likely to hurt it once it's got over the surgery, it may hurt you if you eat to fast or don't chew enough but on the whole it's just as tough as it always was.

Back